Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Reverse Sort Order Views
How to get the Vista Search to find something? by Sults
I have noticed several times, that search under Vista is not functioning properly. For instance, searching all hard drives for *.jpg files did not found any pictures from Users/username/Pictures folder. The search itself has limited functionality: it is not possible to search files created from date to date, I can not find any options how to set search pane to be always with advanced search...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 6th 09 04:23 PM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
21 593
Acronis True Image and Vista (Home Premium) by Lonestar
Has anyone had success saving and restoring a Vista Home Premium drive image (C:) onto an external hard drive with Acronis, ver 11? If so, which external hard drive did you use? Thanks. EW
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 24th 08 06:35 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
21 750
folder associations by liquidstool
hello i'm using vista 64bit. Some of my file associations seem to have disappeared and i am being told to reset them in the control panel - that bit is easy enough but i'm having trouble setting them for actual folders, i can't open the folder just by clicking on it, i have to right click and then select open. i have spent hours trying to find a way to set the association for the folder...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 22nd 08 06:06 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
21 684
Outlook 2007 not indexing files by AutoBarn
Hi there, I have a problem within Outlook 2007 when ever I try and search through my emails. Whenever I perform a search of any of my mail folders, I get no results and a message saying 'Search results may be incomplete because items are still being indexed. Click here for more details'. When I click for more details, I receive a message saying 'Outlook is
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 29th 08 09:50 PM
by Francois Binder Go to last post
21 1,291
Vista search anomalies by chasgl
I created three files home exercise 1.jpg, exercise .jpg, exercise 3.jpg in Public/Physical Therapy. When I searched for execise in Public none of them showed up. When I searched for home only home execise 2.jpg showed up. I am using Vista Home premium. The folder is index including both file name and contents. Any idea why something like thiw would happen? Thanks, Chas
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
February 22nd 09 03:06 AM
by nork Go to last post
20 615
Offline files fail to synchronize by Bob
I have my documents redirected to the server and therefore Vista has an offline copy of these files. I notice that some files are failing to synchronize automatically, but will synchronize if I manually perform it. For example: An 767KB xls file changed in Vista requires a manual synchronization. A 1KB txt file will synchronize immediately.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 16th 09 05:07 PM
by ChEBass[_2_] Go to last post
20 650
Vista & indexing network drives by Valisystem
According to Vista's help system in the final release, Vista does not index the contents of network shares. It also doesn't appear to ask for help from Windows Server 2003 indexing service, when those files are indexed on the server. I have not been able to discover a way to do a fast search through the full content of files in a folder on a server. Is this really true? If so, this is a huge...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 4th 08 12:12 PM
by cherokee[_3_] Go to last post
20 806
Name your Explorer replacement by just bob
There have been a few people offering explorer replacements for file management, but I'd like to know which ones you really like, and why, as I'm eager (to put it mildly) to try something else. All my non-MS apps seem to handle basic file operations just fine so the issues seem to be isolated to the actual Explorer application. So please give me a third-party substitute until MS engineers...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 13th 07 09:14 PM
by Mike Matheny Go to last post
20 426
IE7 Protected Mode while UAC is disabled? by Synapse Syndrome
I am running as a standard user, and still (even more so), UAC is doing my head in intensely. I've been trying to move and delete files (organise) between some partitions and I found myself swearing and punching the monitor and stamping on the keyboard because of UAC. I have disabled having to elevate in Admin account, using secpol.msc, but this is no use in a Power User account. So I have...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 20th 07 11:10 PM
by Synapse Syndrome Go to last post
20 443
Windows Vista - Folder Types by Thomas
I just installed Vista Business onto my computer and now I found a problem: When I open a folder within the explorer, Vista automatically determins the folder type and if it contains JPGs for example it displays them as thumpnails (Folder Type Photos, Videos). I don't want that! How do I turn it off to have every folder exactly the same? I only need Filename, Filetype, Size and Date... The...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 7th 07 06:38 PM
by dean-dean Go to last post
19 405
Run as administrator problem by ultralord910
Well, after unsuccessfully uninstalling a program in windows Vista, I tried to manually delete everything from the program files folder, however, I was denied permission to delete that folder. I tinkered permission settings from this thread ' clicky' (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html) but was successful. I never knew that I had to restart the system to be able to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 10th 08 07:27 AM
by RichFrogg Go to last post
19 655
Folder Question by JennB213
:oI'm new to Vista's Explorer and have been going nuts trying to figure some of this mess out. When I click on a folder, then look down in the Details Pane at the bottom it shows the number of files in the folder but NOT the accumulative file size total. I also noticed the same thing when I had the Recycle Bin Folder open. I like knowing the exact size of the folder, I don't really care how
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 7th 08 12:22 AM
by Zebra Code Go to last post
19 328
Change hard drive icon by Scott
I use a seperate drive for all of my documents I want to use the Vista documents icon for that drive. Where can I - 1) find the document icon 2) change the hard drive icon to that one -- Thank you
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 1st 08 05:38 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
19 411
Vista Complete PC Backup (0x80780048) Not Enough Space? by Steve Mavronis
I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit and I'm trying to do another Complete PC Backup to an external 500gb USB drive and I'm getting error (0x80780048) due to not enough free space left on the backup drive. The screen before says, if there is not enough free space it will start deleting prior backups starting with the oldest. This does not seem to be the case as advertised! I do scheduled regular...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 29th 08 03:10 PM
by chuckbam[_6_] Go to last post
19 550
no 'undo' for deleted files on USB! by Samuel
why can files not be retrieved via edit undo or the recycle bin when they are deleted from USB, is there a setting to change this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 4th 07 05:31 PM
by just bob Go to last post
19 307
System mis-reporting disk usage by rayhorn13
I am using Windows Vista (32-bit) on my computer. Lately, I have noticed that the reported "used space" on my hard drive (via right-click/properties) keeps rising dramatically while I add very little to my computer. I then made sure that I had turned on options to show system files and hidden OS files so that I could add up the used space. What I found is that all of the files on my...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 3rd 08 02:56 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
18 487
What on earth did you do to windows explorer? by IanInLangley
I've had Vista a few days and I'm shocked at how tough it is to organize files. MS is poor in general at keeping things that work in one piece but this is ridiculous. I've spent hours trying to put program shortcuts into a folder I created in the start menu. To make matters worse explorer doesn't even display a fraction of the shortcuts and folders in the start menu. Why???. Even worse I'm...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 14th 08 07:51 PM
by Donald L McDaniel[_5_] Go to last post
18 481
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by johns
"Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post, I will go over what UAC does, how it works, the reasoning behind it, how to use your computer with UAC on, why you shouldn't turn UAC off, and answer some common questions and respond to common...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 22nd 07 11:37 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
18 439
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by dave
"Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either directly or indirectly related to UAC (User Account Control). In this post, I will go over what UAC does, how it works, the reasoning behind it, how to use your computer with UAC on, why you shouldn't turn UAC off, and answer some common questions and respond to common...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 24th 07 08:58 AM
by Robert Koechl Go to last post
18 375
Partition - what for and how do I use them? by Adam C
I have just bought an Acer laptop with Vista Home Premium and it has two partitions. One is called D: Data, but the computer doesn't seem to use it. Each partition is about 50gb in size and I bought the laptop to take on a six-month trip through Asia with me - I plan to use it to work with and store all the photos I'm going to take on my digital SLR. The photo files are all quite big, so it...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 6th 09 09:11 PM
by Esoterixia Go to last post

From The