Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views Reverse Sort Order
Win7: Cannot delete a file by Jeffrey Kaplan
If there is a Windows 7 newsgroup, I cannot find it. In one of my directories is a file that cannot be deleted. It is zero bytes big, and when I try to delete it, Windows 7 (Home Premium x64) tells me that it cannot because it's not found. The error dialog is titled "Item not found" and the error message is: Could not find this item This is no longer located in {name of directory}. Verify...
March 2nd 10 03:54 PM
by No Name Go to last post
6 783
Disk Keeper no longer supported at this time by Jim McCree
Disk Keeper is no longer support with RC1........He is Disk Keepers response to my email to there Tech Support about this..... Diskeeper currently only provides support for the Windows Vista CTP builds 5381 and 5384 with a free public beta, which can be download from our website. The regular purchase versions of Diskeeper cannot be run on Vista,
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 06 11:17 AM
by Peter Go to last post
14 783
Windows Vista x64 searches 5 times longer than Windows XP! by Dima[_2_]
Hello! Why does Windows Vista x64 search so long, especially when the progress in the bar is at the end and the ring is rolling (a replacement for the sand glass)? When a search is not "nearly instantaneous" it takes nearly forever. That is, when you ask for an Advanced Search of Computer, the bar first goes half-way across fairly quickly. Then it goes more slowly to about 3/4 of the way,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 29th 08 01:05 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
30 781
Please keep using the "My..." nomenclature for My Documents, My Vi by SquirrelSF
Please keep using the "My..." nomenclature for My Documents, My Videos, My Picuters, etc. It took me awhile to like that, and one I accepted it, started naming subfolders like My Finances, My Scripts, My Work Projects, etc. As I developer, I even got coworkers to have our ISV application's output work files go into My Documents\My EQuIS Work\ folder by default (where EQuIS is the name...
September 4th 06 05:51 AM
by Jan Kucera Go to last post
4 778
Save File Dialogs by B Barley
One thing I'm having a lot of problem getting use to is how the location of where the file to be saved is displayed. I guess the whole path thing is the issue in all the folder boxes. When you're browsing it's fine. But when IE pops up a save file dialog it seems a little confusing at first. Perhaps this is just a learning curve now that you don't need to pop up a treeview for the...
August 30th 06 02:52 AM
by B Barley Go to last post
0 773
Latest vista Updates kill IE7 !! whats "navcancl from ieframe.dll" ?? by Marshall Kiam-Laine
***just installed latest updates, then clicking on IE7 it asked to download "navcancl from ieframe.dll" then demands it be opened, then Repeats the performance but IE7 wont open at all now. Anyone else had this ? i did a full virus scan - nothing
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
May 15th 07 08:03 AM
by Leeyang Go to last post
30 771
Is Windows Vista index-based full-text search powerful enough? by Peter Frank
Hi, I have a couple of questions about the new index-based full-text search of Windows Vista. 1) Is it powerful enough to handle huge amounts of data consisting of PDF documents, Word, Excel and Powerpoint files (around 20 GB)? Or would a third-party solution like dtSearch be the better choice? If this is the better choice, can the indexing by Windows Vista be disabled?
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
March 23rd 07 05:54 PM
by cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) Go to last post
39 769
User folder and C:\Users\User folder by Jan Kucera
Hi. Why are these not same? I have my custom folders in C:\Users\Me\ and they are not listed in the Me folder rooted at the desktop (the same as in the Start menu). In this one they are not only listed but I can't even create new ones. I have Beta2, is it corrected now? Jan
September 3rd 06 05:41 PM
by Jan Kucera Go to last post
0 768
Folders & Docs disappeared by markaaro
so the other day I accidentally messed up something with the properties of all of my folders.... In the attributes I must have clicked on something, not sure what, but now I'm missing a great deal of information.... I tried doing a system restore, but it has only brought back a few things but not everything.... HELP! -- markaaro
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 7th 08 07:11 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
15 767
How to prevent a folder from being accidentally deleted? by anh
I have some important files in a folder on my notebook machine and I want to prevent some dork (like me) from accidentally deleting it both on my hard drive and on my backup USB external hard drive. What's the best way to do this? I'm not looking to encrypt the folder or to hide it. I want to still add things to the folder and browse it easily; it's just that I don't want it to be deleted by...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 6th 09 01:36 AM
by anh Go to last post
10 766
Using links in a dual boot config where drive letters change by th
In an earlier thread: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management&tid=6e1622f6-a86b-42e7-90ac-9df6f47dea60&cat=en_US_80EED63A-9034-4C95-A805-316A51ED0C31&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1 it was discussed the impact of drive letter swapping when using a dual boot configuration. I tried the following With RC1: 1) In...
November 4th 06 12:36 PM
by th Go to last post
1 765
Total File Size in Status Bar of Explorer by ankohler
Is there any way to show the total file size of all files in a specific folder? I am not talking about right click - Properties. In XP the status bar always showed the size of the all files in that folders when NO file was selected... I really miss that behaviour...
September 7th 06 08:34 PM
by ankohler Go to last post
0 765
Cant save file with HTML by JohnA
Using XP machine, I create a text file containing HTML code and save with extension of .html. Then can double click and the file opens in IE. I can then change the file using notepad, save file, refresh the IE page and see the changes. Doing the same thing on Vista machine, when trying to save changes, error message that something is wrong with file name or path. I need help, thanks.
May 8th 10 09:36 AM
by bradsmokes Go to last post
4 765
Can't search for "exact phrase" with Desktop Search 4.0 by Brad[_11_]
I've found that I can't search for a string inside a file using quotes and get an accurate result. The search will find all words, even though MS documentation indicates that searching in quotes will give exact phrase. anyone find this and fix it?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 22nd 10 09:17 PM
by Retroman Go to last post
10 764
Recovery of Deleted Files by M.Damon
My darling sister has deleted all of my musc files (over a thousand). Instead of choosing to send them to the Recycle Bin, which I could fix, she chose to delete them. Please tell me I can recover my files!?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 23rd 08 12:21 AM
by god''''s gift Go to last post
11 762
Suggested checkbox caption change (usability) by Freek Versteijn
Dear Vista team, Looking at the Search window in Vista RC1, I have one suggestion about the caption for the 'Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might slow down)' checkbox. From a usability perspective, the last part of the caption can be more confusing than useful. Providing the user with the fact that checking it 'might' slow down the search does not help him/her at all. Simply...
September 8th 06 09:43 AM
by Freek Versteijn Go to last post
0 761
Update - Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Community by No Name
What is Happening? This message is to inform you that Microsoft will soon begin discontinuing newsgroups and transitioning users to Microsoft forums. Why? As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now; however, the traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been steadily decreasing for the past several years while customers and participants are increasingly finding solutions in the...
May 9th 10 10:05 AM
by Hank Arnold Go to last post
2 758
Hard Drive view not showing "all items" but view associated with m by mec
How do I change the drive view to show "all items" not the view associated with music. The feature only seems to be associated with folders under customise. Regards. Martin
September 7th 06 08:05 AM
by mec Go to last post
0 756
CAN'T RENAME A FOLDER by tjbelliardd
I'm running vista home premium and i am having trouble when trying to rename a folder, i right click on the folder and the rename option does not appear in the menu, i try with the file options in the explorer but when i click the rename options nothing happens, i'm also having problems with another folder every time open it the explorer crashes and says it has to shutdown, what can i do...
February 18th 10 01:02 PM
by steffen larssen Go to last post
6 756
Acronis True Image and Vista (Home Premium) by Lonestar
Has anyone had success saving and restoring a Vista Home Premium drive image (C:) onto an external hard drive with Acronis, ver 11? If so, which external hard drive did you use? Thanks. EW
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
September 24th 08 06:35 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post

From The