Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Access Issues With Mixed Vista / XP Network by Neil
We have tried to set-up a home network based around our new Windows Vista desktop machine but have run into some problems. All the machines are wirelessly connected to a Belkin router and can access the internet fine. We have a desktop with Windows Vista that is connected to a printer which works fine, however after running the Network set-up wizard we cannot file share or print between the...
September 11th 08 09:09 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 318
Vista Protocol and Program Networking Issues by nsnoonan
I've had this computer for about 4 months now. I have been using putty to connect to various linux servers and networking equipment via ssh and telnet for work. Recently, I haven't been able to connect to anything for about 2 weeks. I've checked server logs to try to troubleshoot my issue, and they suggest the connections aren't even getting to the servers I'm trying to connect. I've now tried...
September 11th 08 07:55 PM
by nsnoonan Go to last post
0 313
Does sharing folders required admin priveleges? by Rodrigo Monteiro[_2_]
In our domain, we are starting to implement Windows Vista. To share folders, though, our users have to be administrators. They were supposed to be Power Users. How do I enable Power Users to be able to share folders like they did on Windows XP? And no, we do not wish to use the Public Folder share, we would like to be ale to share folders as in Windows XP. If not a group, is there a group...
September 11th 08 05:19 PM
by oscar Go to last post
4 329
Vpn error 789 by totomaster
Hi I'm trying to connect to a l2tp vpn and I receive the error 789 : The l2tp connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer This error appeared since yesterday, before I was fine. I try with my windows xp computer and i'm able to connect
September 11th 08 04:11 PM
by Marek Godlewski Go to last post
8 479
Win xp shares not accessable from win vista by rezord
I have small workgroup network and i have 5 win xp clients and one win vista. from win vista i can not open one of my xp clients and when i click on the computer name i get the username and password dialog and after entering the correct username and pssword i get again the username and password dialog. but i can connect from other xp clients to that client and also i can open from vista...
September 11th 08 01:33 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1126_] Go to last post
1 327
Wireless WEP config. by Raul
I have to setup a wireless WEP configuration on my VISTA machine. The problem is that I have to check the box for "this key is provided for me automatically" and I cant find that setting in Vista. Any ideas? Thanks you in advance,
September 11th 08 01:03 PM
by Raul Go to last post
0 299
Unhappy
Wireless = Internetless by GodZilla
Hi gang, I'm having a lot of problems with my Internet connection since going wireless. I have 2 computers sharing the Internet connection; 1 laptop PC running on WinXP which has no problems at all. The other which I use more frequently to surf the Net, runs on Vista. The system seems to do a lot of work in the background - but I don't know what - and frequently gets to the 'Not Responding' stage...
September 11th 08 08:29 AM
by Barb Bowman Go to last post
5 349
browsing webpages offline IN vista by linaish
HELLO iwas previously using windows xp and now i have loaded vista on my laptop. but unlike xp i am not able to browse the webpages i had visited like youtube and many others in vista . why is so ? do i need to do some changes in systems for VISTA? plz help me
September 11th 08 08:01 AM
by linaish Go to last post
0 308
Wireless association failed due to status code 1 by [email protected]
I bought the girlfriend a Vaio for Christmas. It has Vista Home Premium OEM on it. I've tried to connect to the existing wireless network I have. Other laptops/PCs in the house with XP home & XP Pro fine, but this one with Vista has had consistent problems. Existing wireless router specs: Linksys WRT54GSV4 Rev 1.06.1 Security: WPA2/TKIP SSID broadcast: off
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 11th 08 06:18 AM
by MStonePC[_4_] Go to last post
10 644
Internet apps suddenly want to be servers by Baffin
Some time after a cold boot, usually after many hours of usage, a new instance of IE or FF will freeze up displaying "Waiting for http://www...." in the status bar indefnitely. I've learned that this can be overcome by doing the following about 10 times: Close the browser, open it again, click on a fav, then if it works, great, else if it freezes, close and repeat. When it finally works,...
September 10th 08 07:23 PM
by Baffin Go to last post
3 331
Vista Networking/File Sharing by Andre Petropoulos
I recently purchased a Toshiba running 32bit Vista. On my network I have 2 vista laptops (1 old & 1 new), and 1 XP desktop. After spending countless hours trying to get my new Vista to see my XP on the network, I decided to see what would happen if I tried to set up my older Vista laptop. After changing the workgroup name and restarting on my older Vista, both my XP machine and my new Vista...
September 10th 08 01:50 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 305
Erratic Internet Access by mwann
Hello, Until one/two months ago, my Vista machine was working perfectly. Suddenly the machine started loosing its ability to access web pages with IE7, to download emails with Windows Mail, and to update all the software installed. The only way to get it to work again is to restart the machine. Then, the Internet will be fine for 2~6 hours and the machine losses the access again. During...
September 10th 08 12:02 PM
by mwann Go to last post
3 361
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Stopped by dannydee
Hi I hope someone is able to offer help or advice on this one. Every now and then i get a message pop up on my screen which reads as follows: 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Stopped Working and was Closed A problem caused the application to stop working correctly windows will notify you if a solution is available.'
September 10th 08 12:21 AM
by oscar Go to last post
3 319
Starting Wireless Services by WJB
Hi, I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 with all current updates. Often when I boot up or resume after a Hibernate, Windows does not connect to my Wireless Router and I get the networking icon with the red "x". I then have to right-click it and choose Connect to a Network, which allows me to type in the network name and encryption pass-phrase. This doesn't happen all the time and does...
September 9th 08 11:55 PM
by WJB Go to last post
2 313
sharing folder by up355
sometimes the sharing folder works, and most of the time it doesn't. i have to restart both computer and sometimes the folder works, but i can only see it on my laptop which has vista. on my computer which has XP i have never been able to see any files from my laptop. im pretty sure i have everything set-up properly. im not sure if im going to the right folder in windows XP to see my sharing...
September 9th 08 08:13 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
2 314
preventing IPV6 records in DNS by lca1630
I am looking for a solution in order to prevent IPV6 records from being created in DNS. Disabling IPV6 does not do the trick. Any ideas. Thanks
September 9th 08 05:53 PM
by lca1630 Go to last post
0 316
Remote desktop limitations by Lightrope
Hi All, I can run remote desktop on my Vista PC and connect to my WinXP PC. I have not been able to make it work the other way. Is this an innate limitation or is this problem solvable?
September 9th 08 04:41 PM
by Sooner Al [MVP] Go to last post
8 780
IIS and localhost access error problem by Larry S.
I've been trying to use ISS, and discovered that when I try to browse to localhost, or try to browse my wwwroot sites from inside IIS, I get the error message below. I also found that Dreamweaver isn't able to access the websites inside the wwwroot directory. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. I have already tried deleting IIS, rebooting, and then reinstalling it, but...
September 9th 08 01:47 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1123_] Go to last post
1 299
how to share a printer by nkbhoria
it shows the computer to each other on two systems but when i double click to open the computer it gives me the network error "windows can not access"
September 9th 08 07:19 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 276
network troubleshooting by j lunis
Hope this is a network problem. Vista 1) Every once in a while I get a 'Device Connect' sound. Best I can tell, nothing is connecting or disconnecting. How do I find out what is connecting? 2) I want to troubleshoot my network. I have read I should find what programs are controlling my ports. I have searched Goolge and have found how to find the programs but not how to find which ports...
September 9th 08 12:23 AM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post

From The