Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
More Reasons to Hate Vista by dlw
there are two "layers" of security, right click folder- sharing is one, right click folder- properties/security is the other, are you checking both? "Nogginsaked" wrote: I am staring at the permissions on computer A: it says this folder is shared with everyone and everyone has full control/ownership/chattel rights ad nauseum. The folder even has that idiot sharing icon. And yet . ....
October 21st 08 08:00 PM
by dlw Go to last post
0 376
Wireless Networks- very long list? by dlw
Vista Home Basic, when I bring up the list of wireless networks available, I think it's showing every wireless network ever detected since I got the computer. Of course since most of them are in different cities, states, countries, they are pretty much out of range... Can I narrow that list to just networks that have a signal? Thank you.
October 21st 08 07:28 PM
by dlw Go to last post
0 427
Printer Sharing Won't Work On MurPhil's Home LAN by Murphil
I have high speed Internet thru a cable modem connected to the WAN port on my router (i.e. physical Fire Wall). 2 PCs are connected to the LAN ports on the router to form a private home network. One of the PCs is a new Windows Vista Home Premium PC that has a local inkjet printert connected directly to it via a USB connection. This printer works very well in response to print requests from...
October 21st 08 06:39 PM
by Mike Go to last post
4 607
VNC Runs really slow on my Vista64 box? by Jyujinkai
Hi there... I am having trouble getting VNC to run in vista64. I have it installed on a few XP systems and a few vista 64 systems. Everything "works". As I can connect and use it as VNC is ment to be.. but I am having trouble with VNC when installed on the Vista64 boxes. Basicaly the connection runs "slow". On the XP boxes the screen lag over the LAN is almost not even noticiable. While on my...
October 21st 08 12:20 PM
by Stefano Ferrante Go to last post
6 533
monitor neighbour wlan consumption: what tool? by Stefaan Meeuws[_2_]
My neighbour has a new laptop, and I helped him out with the password to my Sweex wlan router. Question is: what tool should I use to make sure his usage of my broadband connection stays within reason. He's going to pay me, he said, 15.00 euro a month. I'm used to paying over 70.00 euro a month. So he's going to help me out by handing me 21% of the total bill cost. I made this table to show...
October 21st 08 01:52 AM
by SIW2 Go to last post
2 482
XP can't access files on Vista by T.J.[_2_]
Hi, I have a home network with two computers connected via a router. My xp/sp3 box can't access the directory that I made public. On the Vista laptop in network and sharing I set the password protected sharing to off. When I left password protected sharing to on, I can't access anything on the laptop. Setting the password protected sharing to off lets me see all of the shared...
October 20th 08 11:05 PM
by swoopeluv Go to last post
2 481
FIXING VISTA WIRELESS NETWORKING PROBLEMS - SEVERAL SOLUTIONS by Bill Wood
For all of you "techies" out there, before I even go through the fixes, do NOT waste your time with the Alternate IP configuration options on the wireless adapter. THEY FLAT DON'T WORK AT ALL in Vista. If you have a wireless access point, and you KNOW it works on other computers, but you get a "local only" message from Vista, the built-in DHCP router in your Wireless Access Point probably...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 20th 08 09:27 PM
by GordonK Go to last post
27 1,241
what is "reliable multicast protocol" by LAByerly
In my network connections, in addition to the normal stuff (TCP/IP 4 and 6, file and printer sharing, etc) I am seeing "Reliable Multicast Protocol". Can someone tell me what this is? Thanks for any information
October 20th 08 09:26 PM
by LAByerly Go to last post
2 497
Computer Browser Service by Rodger
Hi I have a small home network with two computers, one Windows XP Home Edition and One Vista Home Premimum. I while ago I had to reload my Vista computer and I lost some of my network connectivity. I can print to my windows xp computer so connectivity is there in some form. When I go into network and control center I can't see other the other computer on my network. Names and domain appear...
October 20th 08 07:59 PM
by Rodger Go to last post
6 501
highly unreliable connection to network storage drives by Peter
Until yesterday network consisted of 5 PC's (3 running XP Pro, 1 XP Home - a little netbook, and 1 Vista Home Ultimate). 3 of the PC's connect via wireless, 2 by ethernet. Internet connection is via ADSL2 and the modem acts as the router. Other things on network include a Print Server and a Buffalo LinkStation Mini network storage. Until yesterday everything working fine - all PC's could...
October 20th 08 03:46 PM
by Peter Go to last post
2 463
Network connection lost when PC is idle for long period by NZSchoolTech[_2_]
My PC is a modern one (built the start of this year) and has an onboard Intel 82556DM-2 network card which has the latest driver installed, version 9.8.20. The network works as normal all of the time when the PC is being used, but after the PC has been idling for a long period (it automatically locks after 20 minutes), the network will appear to lose some level of connectivity to the...
October 20th 08 02:56 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_1173_] Go to last post
1 465
Network connectivity problems using vpn on vista client by smackmathew
I have several users who connect to the network through vpn. this morning one of them complained that his vpn wasn't working. so I tried to connect using vpn and connected just fine, but I couldn't remote to another server on the network, or browse to another server or computer. I verified that this was actually the problem this user was having. and also found that another user was also...
October 20th 08 12:35 PM
by Dark Horse Go to last post
2 487
Local Area Connection cable unplugged??? by Al
Sorry but I've started a new thread as my original one is not on this first page any more. I have tried a new cable & also swapping USB ports on my speedtouch modem but still have this problem. This is the result of ipconfig but don't understand the computer jargon. Is anything wrong here? Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 154: Media State . . ....
October 20th 08 07:48 AM
by Al Go to last post
2 380
More Reasons to Hate Vista by rex.withers
Sorry, are you calling yourself a network engineer?? I am staring at the permissions on computer A: it says this folder is shared with everyone and everyone has full control/ownership/chattel rights ad nauseum. The folder even has that idiot sharing icon. And yet . . . Computer A will not allow any other computers to access this folder. Vista networking is entirely secu if...
October 20th 08 04:52 AM
by rex.withers Go to last post
0 397
Problems with Group Policy with restricted user account by NZSchoolTech[_2_]
We have had one administrator using Vista since the start of the year. Now we want to bring Vista into use for a group of restricted user accounts, and by that, I mean that they aren't power users or administrators or anything like that. It seems clear to date that MS has put a whole pile of extra security stuff into Vista that just makes it that much harder for a domain administrator to...
October 20th 08 04:10 AM
by NZSchoolTech[_2_] Go to last post
0 467
Vista constantly checking the network by johncaswell
Hello all - I've come across this site on a number of searches trying to figure this one out: Vista Business 64 bit or the software I'm using in vista is constantly checking the network and I can't stand the delays anyone. At first I thought it was the software - Adobe illustrator and Photoshop CS2 which is not officially designed for Vista but still runs. The problem is similar to the delay...
October 19th 08 11:23 PM
by johncaswell Go to last post
0 369
Event 4226 & TCP connection issue by Keith B. Rosenberg
We have been having an issue with a Vista Ultimate desktop cutting off its shared folders from the other computer. Only a reboot fixes it and Vista will not complete a shutdown and has to be powered off. We are getting the following error message each time this happens. Any idea how to fix this problem? Event ID: 4226 TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of...
October 19th 08 02:21 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 439
bridged access point instead of ad-hoc network? by Magritte
I'm trying to setup my laptop to act as a portable router in situations where I want to create a wireless access point where none are available. I'd like to avoid having to carry around an extra router, especially as decent portable routers with bridging/repeating functionality are hard to come by. I've had success setup up a wireless adaptor on the laptop as an adhoc network and using ICS to...
October 19th 08 02:06 AM
by Magritte Go to last post
2 401
Problem creating shortcut on vista pc by freddy[_4_]
Hi, I am not able to create a shortcut to a application on a shared network folder. On a XP machine it is no problem, but it is not possible on a vista machine. The server is windows 2008 in a workgroup. I think this is a security problem and hope somebody has a solution. Kind regards
October 18th 08 10:13 PM
by +Bob+ Go to last post
1 384
remove mobsync.exe from Vista Home Premium by Miles Ahead
I have no need of mobsync.exe. All it does is thrash my HD. I've turned off all offline file caching I can find for IE7 and my Lan. But it still keeps popping up. I have a 2 machine network. XP SP2 on one machine, Vista Home Pemium 32 bit on the other. I notice that when I right click the shared folder for the XP machine in my Vista Network explorer page and click Properties, the check box to...
October 18th 08 02:03 PM
by catnipman Go to last post

From The