Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
2 WAN access to one computer by david2tm
Hello I've two LAN (Ethernet) cards built-in into my motherboard. Thought one of them I connect to the home wired network. The other one is connected to aDSL modem. My home network also have it's own Internet connection - through other modem, and different IP address. Can I use both of this WAN connections on my PC? And how to do that?
February 12th 08 11:42 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
3 275
Cant see PC on network! by FBxiii
Hi. I have recently bought a laptop and wireless router. I am connecting the laptop (using Vista) wirelessly and have my old Windows ME PC wired. I am able to 'ping' the PC from the laptop, but when I go into Network I cannot see the PC. I have file sharing enabled on the C: drive on the PC (security doesnt matter as I am going to scrap it) and File/Print sharing enabled. Can anyone tell...
February 12th 08 07:28 PM
by FBxiii Go to last post
7 259
Vista network quick to timeout by CMoya
I have a home server running WinXP that goes to sleep and takes 3 or 4 seconds to wake up when accessed over the network. Vista never waits for it wake up. It times out almost immediately.... and even worse seems to "cache" the timeout for several minutes. So even though the server is up and ready, Vista still says it's not available. This only happens when using Vista. Is there any way to...
February 12th 08 06:42 PM
by Mark L. Ferguson Go to last post
3 243
Multiple broadband accounts and connections in Vista by B007Cyber
I have two DSL accounts - each with a different ISP (one for international and one for local cap due to pricing differences). I like playing online games (Battlefield 2142) which is quite bandwidth hungry and therefore use the local account with large cap (and cheaper). Should I need to browse normally, I will use the international account. Ideally, one would like to setup a simulateous...
February 12th 08 05:34 PM
by Mack[_3_] Go to last post
4 220
Temporary user profile created when user logs into domain by Tom McKelvey
I'm testing out the first Windows Vista Business computer on our network and can't get it to login to the domain without a temporary profile being created. I can get the PC to join the domain. It will also let me login as a domain user with administrative rights, but it won't create a local profile for the domain account. Here's what I get in event viewer: Event ID: 1521 Log Name: ...
February 12th 08 05:21 PM
by Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)[_390_] Go to last post
1 224
Vista VPN issues with remote subnets by joeny
Hello, I currenlty have windows 2000 and windows xp clients using PPTP vpn clinets that connect to a cisco vpn conentrator and a windows 2000 RRAS server. The vpn servers are on a 10.4.15.x network and the clients gets assigned a 10.4.15.x address from an internal dhcp server. Our preference is to use split tunneling to limit bandwisth usage so as a practice I leave the 'use default gateway...
February 12th 08 03:40 PM
by NeedHelp Go to last post
1 187
People Near Me cannot start by captzerf
People Near Me used to work, but sometime in the last 6+ weeks whenever I reboot I get a dialog saying "People Near Me cannot start. An attempt has been made to perform an unauthorized operation." I checked the Event Log for further deatils but found nothing. When I go into the control panel and try to click any of the three People Near Me links, People Near Me, Change People Near Me...
February 12th 08 02:01 PM
by captzerf Go to last post
0 234
Learn Windows Networking by Rodger
Hi. I want to learn the essentials of windows networking. Ever since I got Vista I couldn't get my mixed network of Vista and XP to work correctly. I had to install Network Magic to make it work some what right, printer still gives me problems there. Even when I had just a Windows XP only network things just worked kind of ify. So I want to learn more about networking. Can anyone recommend a...
February 12th 08 11:34 AM
by Rodger Go to last post
6 237
Offline files is not enabled by wildgr
I'm hoping somebody can help me here, I have been through every forum trying to find a fix for this problem and it seems a lot of people are having it, but other than the regedit fix nothing is working other than a rebuild. My problem: - I was using offlines on a share from a machine called '\\Dellp4\share1' (file://\\Dellp4\share1), this machine went dead and another was builded but...
February 12th 08 09:49 AM
by wildgr Go to last post
0 224
Vista, ICS, and Xbox 360 by Keithl322
Ok guys, here's what's up. I am using my laptop to connect to a wireless router that is connected to the internet. What I am trying to accomplish is to have my Xbox360 to connect through the internet through my laptop using ICS, but the xbox can't connect to the internet. The laptop is on Vista Home Premium 32bit. Windows Firewall has been turned off completely while testing, the comp. does have...
February 12th 08 08:10 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
2 252
permission by Stan
I have a router for my two computer network. I created a Z: drive on my vista computer but can`t get access to it from my XP computer. Permission problem. Anyone know what to do.
February 12th 08 05:35 AM
by Chuck [MVP] Go to last post
4 238
Network and Sharing Center is blank by David Hetherington
Hi all, strange issue with a tower that we built. It's on our SBS 2003 domain, with the firewall settings pushed out through GP. The user tried to RDP to the machine the other night but it didn't allow him to connect. Investigation turns up a weird situation where the Network and Sharing Center is blank. I tried to open the N&SC and it just hangs. Nothing listed or anything. I know I...
February 12th 08 12:49 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 216
PC stops booting by Andre De Clercq
My Vista PC stops booting when USB devices are connected. I have to unplug them, restart and connect them when the PC is booted up. Thanks for any advise.
February 11th 08 10:40 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
2 220
"Security network key incorrect".....but it's not by kelly
I am having some serious problems connecting to my wireless router. I have wpa-personal security and I bring my laptop from my work to home. The problem is everytime I bring it home it takes AT LEAST 20 times to connect to my wireless router. Everytime it comes back "your security key is incorrect", but it is NOT. I am also not mistaking my network for another. However if I boot up the...
February 11th 08 10:18 PM
by kelly Go to last post
9 308
Home network issue after adding vista laptop by Brian
I have had 2 XP desktops networked together fthru a linksys befw 11s4 for quite some time and had no issues. I just got a laptop with Vista and am having lots of problems. The Upstairs PC and basement PC can see each others shared folders however the laptop can not see or be seen. I am posting ipcong and browstat info for all you experts. I did it from the upstairs PC. Thanks, Brian
February 11th 08 08:20 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
3 248
Can't view XP computer in network. by Rackers
I have Vista x64, when on XP I could see my brothers XP computer fine but now I've upgraded it's no longer the case. I have to type \\computername in the search to see his computer. How can I make it so that when I open up the 'Network' from the start menu I can just see his computer? Thanks --
February 11th 08 08:19 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
5 305
[Vistax64] Protected EAP properties problem by Servus Meditatus
Hello! Recently I upgraded my Windows Vista Bussiness (32 bit) to Windows Vista Bussines (64 bit). On my previous version of Vista I had no problem but now I am getting the same error while I'am trying to connect to the wireless network at my University . I start the "Network centre", choose "Manage Wireless Networks". Then I right-click the wireless network, and choose properties. Then I go...
February 11th 08 04:33 PM
by Servus Meditatus Go to last post
0 269
turning off zero configuration by bloodjunkie
I need to know how to turn off zero configuration for vista, I'm a big online gamer and because of zero i tend to freeze for split second about every five to ten minutes. I would like to just use my ralink program but it wont let me. any help will do. thank you.
February 11th 08 03:21 PM
by Jack \(MVP-Networking\). Go to last post
1 223
Help Please - Remote Desktop Sharing in a Vista & Win2K estate by C00LH4ND
I hope some one can help.. The company I am working with is undergoing a massive client refresh of all its desktops, laptops and tablets moving from Win2k/XP Pro to Vista Ultimate. Currently the helpdesks use either SMS2003 or NetMeeting to access a clients machine to help resolve issues at first line. Now as you are probably aware Vista can not be controlled by SMS2003, even SP3, and...
February 11th 08 01:35 PM
by C00LH4ND Go to last post
0 203
Help! Panic! Services won't start, no system restore... by Julian[_3_]
I really am tearing my hair out over this - sorry if the post is long/confused and for the xposting - trying to give as much coherent info as possible to aid resolution ASAP... I don't know what's happening... and it's worse than I thought: key services I wouldn't touch myself aren't running and I can't start them - it's not just the iSCSI service that I spotted first, it is also the Event...
February 11th 08 12:37 PM
by Julian[_2_] Go to last post

From The