Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Fail connecting to local virtual machines by James[_17_]
I have a Windows Vista in an enterprize domain. This PC is running VMware supporting also some 3 virtual XP machines. In another networking card via LAN it is connected also to another XP machine, which is not a domain memeber. Problem is that while maping a local drive in the LAN PC works fine, connectng and/or maping in the virtual machines (also not members in the Vista domain) fails. Can...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 4th 09 03:01 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
14 556
USB drive conflict by Ken W
I have a drive letter that's mapped to a network drive by default. When I insert a USB drive it tries to assign itself to that same letter, which creates a conflict and I can't figure out how to access the USB drive. Is there some way I can direct it to another drive letter?
November 4th 09 11:37 AM
by Ken W Go to last post
0 207
Windows 7 Networking by Zuvuya
Hello, I am having trouble with my network in Windows 7. My firewall recognizes my network on all three computers and they are all correctly named. Ethernet, but wireless gives no luck either. It's set to home network, with network drives mapped on all computers. Vista worked well this way but on 7 the network in Windows Explorer only recognizes the computer it's opened on. Any help...
November 4th 09 07:56 AM
by Zuvuya Go to last post
0 247
Vista 64 fails to access net share in WXP Pro SP2 by Cap Kirk
I have a small network with 4 pcs. 1 is Vista 64, two XP Pro and 1 W2K. Peer to Peer. All machines could see the other machines shares without problem. The net browser is the W2K machine. I had to change the chassis of 1 XP Pro box because of heating. everything was phisically moved to another chassis, no OS change watsoever, nor component changes. Now, both XPs and the W2K can see shares in...
November 3rd 09 03:19 PM
by Cap Kirk Go to last post
0 229
Fail connecting to local virtual machines by James[_17_]
I have a Windows Vista in an enterprize domain. This PC is running VMware supporting also some 3 virtual XP machines. In another networking card via LAN it is connected also to another XP machine, which is not a domain memeber. Problem is that while maping a local drive in the LAN PC works fine, connectng and/or maping in the virtual machines (also not members in the Vista domain) fails. Can...
November 2nd 09 12:56 PM
by James[_17_] Go to last post
0 202
can't disable netbios on XP or Vista by mdk
Hi all, I disable 'NetBIOS over TCP/IP' on ALL adapters on the XP machine, reboot the machine, and find the share folder (for testing) still able to accessed by another windows XP machine. Also, all drives on the machine can be browsed in Linux with the Connect to server utility. the problem exists on Vista too. How can i disable NetBios so that no one can access any drive or file
November 2nd 09 11:15 AM
by Gahawy Go to last post
6 423
net view error 58 by Clayton
For some reason I am unable to see the network icon for my NAS in Networks, I can see other computers and can access them ok, someone suggested to go to cmd and type net view but when I do I get "system error 58 has occurred" the specified server cannot perform the requested operation. Thanks
November 2nd 09 06:35 AM
by Clayton Go to last post
8 444
net view error 58 by Clayton
For some reason I am unable to see the network icon for my NAS in Networks, I can see other computers and can access them ok, someone suggested to go to cmd and type net view but when I do I get "system error 58 has occurred" the specified server cannot perform the requested operation. Thanks
November 1st 09 07:12 PM
by Clayton Go to last post
0 238
can't disable netbios on XP or Vista by mdk
Hi all, I disable 'NetBIOS over TCP/IP' on ALL adapters on the XP machine, reboot the machine, and find the share folder (for testing) still able to accessed by another windows XP machine. Also, all drives on the machine can be browsed in Linux with the Connect to server utility. the problem exists on Vista too. How can i disable NetBios so that no one can access any drive or file
November 1st 09 04:21 AM
by mdk Go to last post
0 232
XP - Vista Networking problem by Rick Morrison
I have a Desktop running XP - SP3 wired to a Linksys wireless router. My Vista laptop is wireless. I can connect to the Internet fine from either machine. I can see and access the laptop from the desktop but I can't see the desktop XP machine from the Vista laptop. I went through this same thing with my network up north but now that we've moved back to Florida I've got the same problem. ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 1st 09 01:21 AM
by Rick Morrison Go to last post
12 591
Can't install Wireless Printer by OldManEd
I use Vista Home Premium. I have a network that connects one computer by cable and 3 computer by wireless. I also have a LaserJet 4 Plus. It has an adapter card that is connected to the router/modem by cable. I have gone thru the 'Add Printer' procedure several times. It 'finds' a TCP/IP 'generic adapter card and, after awhile, a list of printers is displayed. I select mine. Give it a shared...
October 31st 09 11:24 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
8 336
Setting Up Norton secure with xbox360 by Jackie
Even if you have different firewall; most of them should have been similarity to norton. Go to norton security option; go under General-Settings -Trust Control. Add your xbox ip there. Most of the time if you have dynamic ip; the ip will oftenly change everytime you restart your console/pc. I suggest you set your router to allow only 10 pc user from range 100-110. So for instant: My router...
October 31st 09 03:51 AM
by Jackie Go to last post
0 275
Setting Up Norton secure with xbox360 by Jackie
Even if you have different firewall; most of them should have been similarity to norton. Go to norton security option; go under General-Settings -Trust Control. Add your xbox ip there. Most of the time if you have dynamic ip; the ip will oftenly change everytime you restart your console/pc. I suggest you set your router to allow only 10 pc user from range 100-110. So for instant: My router...
October 31st 09 03:51 AM
by Jackie Go to last post
0 149
VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7 by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)
If my memory serves, Cisco VPN can cause this issue also. Do you have Cisco VPN client in your PC? -- Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
October 30th 09 08:42 PM
by Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\) Go to last post
0 449
Similar situation by Ghazanfar Aslam Halim better known as Gaz a.k.a Gujjo a.k.a Ghazandruff a.k.a G Money, Halim Family
But we have a new consultant with an XP box and a Vista box. The XP box is IN our domain wheras the Vista box IS NOT, it's just plugged in to get on the internet. He can login to his XP box without any issues, but when he attempts to log in to his Vista box, his network account is automatically locked out. I'm guessing that it might be the issue above, where he's logging in with the same user...
October 29th 09 11:12 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
2 352
Can't install Wireless Printer by OldManEd
I use Vista Home Premium. I have a network that connects one computer by cable and 3 computer by wireless. I also have a LaserJet 4 Plus. It has an adapter card that is connected to the router/modem by cable. I have gone thru the 'Add Printer' procedure several times. It 'finds' a TCP/IP 'generic adapter card and, after awhile, a list of printers is displayed. I select mine. Give it a shared...
October 29th 09 08:38 PM
by OldManEd Go to last post
0 200
Similar situation by Ghazanfar Aslam Halim better known as Gaz a.k.a Gujjo a.k.a Ghazandruff a.k.a G Money, Halim Family
But we have a new consultant with an XP box and a Vista box. The XP box is IN our domain wheras the Vista box IS NOT, it's just plugged in to get on the internet. He can login to his XP box without any issues, but when he attempts to log in to his Vista box, his network account is automatically locked out. I'm guessing that it might be the issue above, where he's logging in with the same user...
0 199
Vista Dialup error 31 A device attached to the system is not funct by LUllom
When ever I dial out, I get an error 31 message A device attached to the system is not functioning. I have tried 4 different modems but they all do the same thing. The modem dials out but when it tries to check user name and password it disconnects and says errror 31 -A device attached to the system is not functioning. I have seen a few other people with this same problem on the different...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 29th 09 03:37 PM
by mjmim Go to last post
17 567
Sharing printer across subnets by David Burg
Hi, My apologies if this is an old question, I couldn't find a satisfactory answer on either these discussion groups or through an web search. I have a home network with 3 sub nets. The reason I have 3 subnets is because each subnet is wired with wireless routers making the link between the wired networks. I'd prefer to keep it that way and not have to drill a hole through the floors... The...
October 29th 09 02:13 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
2 316
Sharing printer across subnets by David Burg
Hi, My apologies if this is an old question, I couldn't find a satisfactory answer on either these discussion groups or through an web search. I have a home network with 3 sub nets. The reason I have 3 subnets is because each subnet is wired with wireless routers making the link between the wired networks. I'd prefer to keep it that way and not have to drill a hole through the floors... The...
October 29th 09 05:14 AM
by David Burg Go to last post

From The