Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Allowing remote connections by Ken W
I'm trying to configure a PC so that it can receive a remote connection. A computer on the outside first of all connects to our server, and then connects to the target PC over our network. We have one person that does this, but other people are not able to establish a remote connection, as it says it can't find this computer. I know that we have to enable connections to allow remote...
December 21st 09 03:18 PM
by Ken W Go to last post
0 255
Indexing a NAS by Endulini
Hi, I would like Vista to include my NAS in the indexing of my drives but can't see this location when I try to Modify Locations in the Indexing menu. Is this not possible with Home Premium or is there a work-around? Cheers
December 20th 09 06:24 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
2 387
Indexing a NAS by Endulini
Hi, I would like Vista to include my NAS in the indexing of my drives but can't see this location when I try to Modify Locations in the Indexing menu. Is this not possible with Home Premium or is there a work-around? Cheers
December 20th 09 04:28 PM
by Endulini Go to last post
0 255
Other computers on network vanished! by Bill
I have a new Dell netbook running Win7 Starter Edition. I configured both wired and wireless networking and was able to see the shared drives on other PCs on my home network until today. Today I turned the netbook on and I do not see any computer except the netbook itself when I expand the Network node in Windows Explorer. Selecting the Network node and clicking he Refresh button does not help....
December 20th 09 12:18 AM
by Bill Go to last post
0 214
file sharing win 7 and win xp by ZenMasta[_2_]
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup... I didn't see one for 7. I have 2 computers on the same workgroup/lan Desktop with XP Pro Laptop with 7 HP I have lots of folders shared on windows xp but I can't see them/access them in win7. Initial web searches suggested turning off or on simple file sharing in XP
December 20th 09 12:08 AM
by ZenMasta[_2_] Go to last post
0 284
Ping General Failure by Tim
I'm having some issues with acquiring an IP address via DHCP. When I statically set the address and try to ping anything I get General Failure as a result each time. This is the case when I ping 127.0.0.1 as well. I tried using a USB wireless card instead with the same results which is why I do not believe it is a hardware problem. I have restarted in safe mode with networking which provides...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 19th 09 03:10 PM
by WhyVista Go to last post
12 825
Logon to another workgroup by denhor
Hi. What should I do to connect my laptop to another workgroup? Thanks Dennis
December 18th 09 08:42 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
2 356
Require password to access shared folder on other computer by Ken Isaacson
Vista SP2 I have a small home network, with shared document folders on each computer. How do I configure the share to require someone from computer A to enter a password when accessing the shared folder on computer B? Thanks! Ken Isaacson SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
December 18th 09 08:38 PM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
2 415
Require password to access shared folder on other computer by Ken Isaacson
Vista SP2 I have a small home network, with shared document folders on each computer. How do I configure the share to require someone from computer A to enter a password when accessing the shared folder on computer B? Thanks! Ken Isaacson SILENT COUNSEL, a legal thriller
December 18th 09 04:53 PM
by Ken Isaacson Go to last post
0 220
Logon to another workgroup by denhor
Hi. What should I do to connect my laptop to another workgroup? Thanks Dennis
December 18th 09 04:03 PM
by denhor Go to last post
0 236
Slow file sharing with Vista & Norton Internet Security 2009 by ctc
I am experiencing a significant slowdown when sharing files over a home network. Here is the scenerio: 4 computers: 3 have Vista sp2, 1 has XP sp3 1 of the Vista computers is set up to share documents via the public folder. All computers are running Norton Internet Security 2009. When the XP computer accesses shared files on the Vista computer, there are no problems. But when using 1 of...
December 18th 09 12:18 AM
by d3aths3rver Go to last post
2 333
slow file/network access with Vista and Norton Internet Security 2 by ctc
I am experiencing a significant slowdown when sharing files over a home network. Here is the scenario: 5 computers: 3 have Vista sp2, 1 has Windows 7, 1 has XP sp3 All computers are running Norton Internet Security 2009. 1 of the Vista computers (host) is set up to share documents via the public folder.
December 17th 09 11:29 PM
by ctc Go to last post
0 230
Slow file sharing with Vista & Norton Internet Security 2009 by ctc
I am experiencing a significant slowdown when sharing files over a home network. Here is the scenerio: 4 computers: 3 have Vista sp2, 1 has XP sp3 1 of the Vista computers is set up to share documents via the public folder. All computers are running Norton Internet Security 2009. When the XP computer accesses shared files on the Vista computer, there are no problems. But when using 1 of...
December 17th 09 10:28 PM
by ctc Go to last post
0 230
NET SEND v.s. MSG.exe by PaulH[_2_]
I need to know how to use the MSG.exe function with Vista Business to send message to both vista and win2k users. All machines are in the same domain. I'm local admin on my box. If I use MSG * /server:othervistabox test message I get the error Error 5 getting session names. If I use MSG * /server:win2kbox test message
December 17th 09 06:51 AM
by CindyPat Go to last post
2 722
cannot connect to wireless signal after laptop has been in sleep m by davey1108
Every time we shut the lid to the laptop (on accident or on purpose), upon opening it we cannot use the wireless signal. Where there's usually a blue circle over the network icon, there's now an orange triangle with an exclamation point. It sees the signal, but won't connect all the way. I've tried powering on/off the wireless router turning off/on the wireless card
December 16th 09 02:18 AM
by Jack [MVP-Networking] Go to last post
4 379
VPN L2TP error 789 with Vista / Windows 7 by Myron Schroner[_2_]
Hello folks, I can't consistently connect over VPN using L2TP, I get error 789. Others using that server can connect consistently. Here are some details. - I'm using Windows 7 but had the same problem with Vista. - I can connect sometimes, maybe every 10th reboot. - I've saved copies of system and application event logs and compared them, there are no differences other than the listed order of...
December 15th 09 09:09 PM
by Mohammad Go to last post
6 243
cannot connect to wireless signal after laptop has been in sleep m by davey1108
Every time we shut the lid to the laptop (on accident or on purpose), upon opening it we cannot use the wireless signal. Where there's usually a blue circle over the network icon, there's now an orange triangle with an exclamation point. It sees the signal, but won't connect all the way. I've tried powering on/off the wireless router turning off/on the wireless card
December 15th 09 07:10 PM
by davey1108 Go to last post
0 239
Network and Sharing Center shows three networks instead of two. by albert5268
Hi I have a client connected to the Internet via a dial-up connection which is shared using ICS. This client is connected to a Belkin wireless router through my wired LAN connection. The router has been configured to act simply as an access point with its routing and firewall functions disabled. I have two laptops and an Xbox 360 connected to the network wirelessly and all three can access...
December 15th 09 11:03 AM
by albert5268 Go to last post
0 348
Network and Sharing Center shows three networks instead of two. by albert5268
Hi I have a client connected to the Internet via a dial-up connection which is shared using ICS. This client is connected to a Belkin wireless router through my wired LAN connection. The router has been configured to act simply as an access point with its routing and firewall functions disabled. I have two laptops and an Xbox 360 connected to the network wirelessly and all three can access...
December 15th 09 11:03 AM
by albert5268 Go to last post
0 221
Vista chokes on .jpg files by Wowbagger
I have 15 machines on the LAN, one of which is running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. The server is Windows Server 2003 When browsing photos (.jpgs) on a network share all of the machines are lightning fast to display the image on the double click then quickly flip through the photos one after the others using the arrow keys except for the fastest machine of all that takes about 15 seconds to open...
December 14th 09 02:39 PM
by Wowbagger Go to last post

From The