Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
手機清貨各款各型號 by ip
電62893103問價或發空白電郵去 價單.
August 28th 07 08:01 PM
by ip Go to last post
0 233
EFS - Backup Certificate & Keys??? by John Gallagher
Can someone explain why I am getting this message to backup my certicate & keys? I am using Vista Ultimate but have not set up EFS and so far have no need to do so. Yet I began receiving a message yesterday stating that I should back up my certicates and keys from "Encrypting File System". I did not know why and elected to try to backup. Needless to say, this was fruitless since the dialog...
August 28th 07 10:18 AM
by John Arnold[_2_] Go to last post
3 217
Help Cant log in by Laie96762
Everytime i try to log onto hotmail it wont go into my inbox. There is this lock that says microsoft corporation USA, it says versign has identifed this site and that this connection to the server is encrypted. I am so lost with this, i am still learning, so i am hoping someone can assist me... Thank You
August 28th 07 09:10 AM
by Laie96762 Go to last post
0 188
Problem restoring EFS key by Mathieu CHATEAU
Hello, How to add an EFS recovery agent in Windows XP Professional http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887414/en-us Step 2: Import recovery certificates and the private key 1. Log on to the computer as the administrator. 2. Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK. 3. In the Group Policy Object Editor, expand the following nodes: Local Computer Policy
August 28th 07 05:36 AM
by Pentium Go to last post
2 175
trouble installing AT&T antivirus program by Carol[_2_]
I have been trying to put this program on my notebook for 8 days. I have talked to at least 9 technicians and they can't seem to help. I have deleted all antivirus programs,& ad aware, and have downloaded and run the removal tool from AT&T, and also my Avira program. I tried to install in safe mode etc. The problem usually is when after I download the program and run it, & the...
August 28th 07 02:59 AM
by norm Go to last post
7 145
Sticky Password Replacement by [email protected]
Does anyone know of a good replacement for Sticky Password? I switched from Norton Password Manager 2004 to Sticky Password becuase NPW got killed, I needed something for Vista and Norton Confidential was too bloated... Sticky Password was great and the support was great too. But now that I am acutally running Vista, Sticky Password is not working so well. It crashes IE all day long to the...
August 27th 07 11:53 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 138
How to setup a task in task scheduler without UAC going off by B
I have a program called EXPERTool that I want to run at startup in Windows Vista Home Premium. I am the only user and there is only one account and that is mine as administrator. I have tried to setup the executable for expertool in the task schdule. No matter what I do windows UAC blocks the program at startup. Why is there a task scheduler in administrative tools when it is so difficult...
August 27th 07 07:24 PM
by B Go to last post
0 209
Access Denied with User in Share ACL, but OK with group by Hmoll
User is getting access denied when accessing his Homeshare; the problem appears to be with the Share ACL * Share Perm's currently set explicitly to user's account * If the ACL is changed to Authenticated Users, access is granted * Problem occurs on user's main Laptop * Problem does NOT occur on a test VM, I had him log into * Both the VM and the Laptop are in the same OU, both are running...
August 27th 07 06:00 PM
by Hmoll Go to last post
1 163
UAC On and OFF by species8350
Hi, I have a prograamme that will only work properly if UAC is off. I would prefer to run with UAC on. My question is. Will it do any harm, or will I be likely to have problems, if I run with UAC on. Use my programme with UAC off, then switch back to UAC on. Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 27th 07 05:23 PM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post
10 417
Subject: Configuration of the opening port of the firewall with Vi by eric
I have a problem when I would like to configure the opening ports of the firewall with the utility netsh with Vista Home Basic. I use the following command (admin rights): netsh firewall add portopening protocol=UDP port=4679 name=port 4679 mode=ENABLE scope=ALL profile=CURRENT I have no error and the port still closed. I see nothing about my port in the firewall configuration (UI and...
August 27th 07 03:50 PM
by eric Go to last post
0 179
UAC stops Java by PeteBlock
Hi, When I have UAC turned on Java wont run on both IE7 and Firefox (both have all upgrades) I assume I need to OK Java under UAC but I'll be darned if I can figure out how... Thanks for any help given.... Pete
August 27th 07 03:44 PM
by PeteBlock Go to last post
0 155
Permission problem by Phil[_4_]
Hi All I've recently bought a new pc with Vista installed on it so I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Vista. The problem I have is trying to install software. I have been trying to install office 2003 and it gets so far saying you dont have permission to delete the registry key software\classes\.tif..... please make sure you have permission to delete the relevant key or contact the IT...
August 27th 07 02:42 PM
by Engel Go to last post
7 151
Are website passwords secure in Vista? by Marvin
I have Vista Ultimate and have not setup BitLocker, are the passwords for websites (such as online bill pay) protected?
August 27th 07 01:27 PM
by Mr. Arnold Go to last post
3 157
EFS & backups... by mike
hi, i've read that Vista's backup does NOT back up EFS encrypted files... is there a good 3rd party backup utility which does, or is this inherent with EFS ??? can i assume that Vista's Complete PC Backup (image) utility does backup EFS files & that they can be restored ??? thanks,
August 27th 07 11:55 AM
by mike Go to last post
0 193
Ownership by Jacqui
I am just an ordinary person who is having a lot of trouble trying to understand all this ownership discussion related to getting the 'Destination Folder Access Denied' error message. Can someone please explain it to me. I was having trouble opening Adboe in my browser and found that I had a .dll file which needed to be removed however I am not able to remove it. I am able to change it's...
August 27th 07 09:51 AM
by brink[_633_] Go to last post
2 162
How to delet IE history after each session automatically by Ferrari
Hi there, Is it possible to have IE automatically delete all history (eg which links you clicked on), each time you exit the program? i found the "empty browser cache .... " option under Tools/Advanced, but it doesnt clear links youve clicked on... thx.
August 26th 07 11:30 PM
by Ferrari Go to last post
0 142
What is this: %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe by RollTide1017
Just bought a new PC 2 days ago with Vista Home Premium installed. I have barely started using it and installed SpyBot: Search & Destroy to help protect against spyware. SpyBot detects it (%WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe) as a system startup file in the "HK_LM:RunOnce" key and says it is a potential dangerous virus, spyware, malware or other resource hog. I went to the dir and looked at the...
August 26th 07 07:42 PM
by Engel Go to last post
3 257
Media Center Extensibility Host by Dave Turner
I have been getting reports of an "APPCRASH" when I launch Media Center. The "Media Center Extensibility Host" fails to load probably due to my firewall, but Media Center itself loads and seems to run fine. My question is, should I care? What does this host do? If I should care, how do I allow this in my firewall config? Windows Vista Home Premium...Here's the details; Product Media...
August 26th 07 04:25 PM
by Dave Turner Go to last post
0 252
How do I add a Start Menu folder for ALL users by [email protected]
Saturday 12:30 edt usa I need to add a couple of folders to the "start" menu for ALL users to use. How do I do this? J
August 26th 07 12:44 AM
by J Go to last post
5 277
UAC should prompt only once when application runs first time by etrek
UAC should ask for permission ONCE and remembers what programs are allowed/not-allowed to run. Further (optional): The ONLY time UAC should give warnings for a previously allowed program is in the event that the program has been altered, i.e. updated to new version, (anything that changes the CODE of the program). This would make UAC warnings very useful as a protection strategy without...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 25th 07 08:30 PM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post

From The