Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista won't let me extract driver--Potentially Dangerous by munchie
I'm trying to unzip the Realtek AC'97 audio driver for Vista (downloaded directly from their site) but I keep getting a message that the executables in it are potentially dangerous--thus canceling my extraction. Is there anyway to get around this? Thanks, -- Munchie
September 26th 07 02:02 PM
by Cal Bear '66 Go to last post
2 146
legacy CPL by Ches
I am trying to diagnose a problem with inoperative external speakers- when I try to reinstall the device I get the confirmation message aking if I want to run a "legacy CPL" whatever; what exactly is this program? -- Lindasman
September 26th 07 12:10 AM
by Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Go to last post
1 153
How do I uninstall windows patch KB891781 by catman
How do I uninstall HOT fix KB891781 It is screwing up my html editor (Homesite 4.5.2) and I want it GONE! I do understand the risks of removing this and on balance I am willing to risk it. I know how to remove it in Windows XP but I couldn't find the uninstall program. I looked in the Control Panel and then did a search on my hard drive. I also want to stop it from ever downloading...
September 25th 07 04:10 PM
by Dave Go to last post
2 232
JPEG Exploit by No Name
I am using Vista Home Premium/Windows Firewall/Defender/Spybot S&d/Ad-aware 2007/Avast! Free. I have just run the Avast! scanner manually and it has found the MS04-028JPEG Exploit. I have followed the recommended action and moved the four files to the 'chest'. I am almost paranoid about system security and am concerned why this happened and what damage it may have done.
September 25th 07 12:13 PM
by Mark[_5_] Go to last post
8 182
Suspicious behavior from interface, but no malicious software dete by letterman
I've been running Vista for about three months now, and lately I've noticed some erratic behavior from the system that makes me quite suspicious about possible keylogging or other malicious software that may have embedded itself in my system. I'm currently running Windows Vista with Symantec Corporate Anti-virus 10.2 Build #276 and this was the first software installed on my computer before...
September 25th 07 10:48 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
4 300
Computer Restrictions by sk8mom
I just bought my son a used Dell Laptop. I am unable to change any Program or access defaults. I cant even open the control panel or remove any programs. Theerror says contact system Admin. I really need help to change these settings. Thank you so much!!!@!
September 25th 07 10:14 AM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
1 124
The requested operation requires elevation by happydude
I a command prompt window when I type ipconfig /flushdns and then press enter I receive the following: The requested operation requires elevation Is it possible for me to perform this command in a command window? If so, how? Thanks for looking. -- Cheers, John
September 24th 07 05:20 PM
by happydude Go to last post
3 142
Event ID 5032 by WadeBart
I get the following error in my Security Event Log everytime I use my Cisco VPN client and connect to any of the profiles in it. Log Name: Security Source: Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing Date: 9/23/2007 7:59:14 PM Event ID: 5032 Task Category: Other System Events Level: Information Keywords: Audit Failure
September 24th 07 01:26 AM
by WadeBart Go to last post
0 190
Vista requires permission after application update by Doug Sundquist
FireFox downloaded and installed an update and now every time I start it, Vista User Control requests permission before it will run. I checked permissions of the shortcut icon and that has "Run as Administrator" unchecked as it should. Prior to this update everything ran fine. I also notice two instances of FireFox (previous and current) in Control Panel Programs list. Thanks in advance...
September 24th 07 12:08 AM
by Jane C Go to last post
1 128
Sending to my Photo Lab by Sissy
I need help downloading software from my photolab.
September 23rd 07 08:30 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 112
windows vista user accounts by rickers
Hi i have a problem that windows for some reason has reverted my administrator account back to a standard account and will not let me change anything the problem is that my daughter is also a administartor on the computer and has forgotten her password so i cannot change anything without her passsword. i wonder if any one can tell me a way round this problem Thank you -- rickers
September 23rd 07 07:58 PM
by rickers Go to last post
0 134
Parental Control problem by Fishyweb
I have enabled parental control on a number of accounts on my new Vista Ultimate PC. I have not enabled it on my own standard account though. However, on a couple of occasions, I have not been able to open my browser home page (Google) when first starting my browser - it tells me that Parental Control is stopping me from opening the page. Closing the browser and then starting it again...
September 23rd 07 07:56 PM
by Fishyweb Go to last post
0 155
Security Settings Popup by shadow63
I have been trying to help a friend that has a new Sony laptop with Vista Home Premium. I had the laptop for several days setting it up and comparing it to my laptop on the settings. I also have DSL and connected the new laptop with no problems. Now my friend only has dial up (yeah that sucks) as DSL is unavaiable. The dial up was set up wtih no problems but when connecting to the internet it...
September 23rd 07 04:56 PM
by shadow63 Go to last post
0 144
Bypass RunAs by pjw lignon
Dear All, When a non-administrator wants to run an executable, Vista asks for an adminstrator password. If I want to allow an executable to run under a user without having to provide an administrator password, is it possible/allowed in Vista?
September 23rd 07 03:58 PM
by Alex K. Angelopoulos \(MVP\) Go to last post
7 196
Opening Screen by TJenkins
From out of the blue, one day last week, when I turned on my computer the opening screen had a Circle with an X and "the user name or password is incorrect" and below that was a box with OK in it. I click on the ok and a second screen appears with three user icons. Two are identical with same name, the other is the Administrator. The newer of the user icons wants a password which I have...
September 23rd 07 06:24 AM
by Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] Go to last post
1 159
Trend micro internet security 2007 installation problem by Chris Penney
When I try to install Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 I get an error message immediately after the download recomposes, saying that the installation has been stopped because windows vista has had a fatal error. When I called Trend Micro they said this was a Microsoft problem and I would have to contact them. I am not having any problems with my HP Pavillion tx 1000 and I have already...
September 23rd 07 04:08 AM
by Engel Go to last post
1 186
finding updates and security dl's by jason
how do i find updates and such online, without microsoft.com seraching the computer for what it needs. reason i ask is because i do not have internet access, but can use the lybrarys to dl it on to a memery stick? thank u dave for your help, but i must have not writen the question in detial.
September 23rd 07 12:02 AM
by Jesper Go to last post
4 182
time limits parental controls by Kerry
my children are getting logged off during tomes that I allow them to be online, I am having trouble fixing that
September 22nd 07 10:29 PM
by Charlie42[_2_] Go to last post
1 165
File Security Question by Michael Gerbasio
Hi, I read trhough some of the information on the MS site but I'm still confused. Any help is appreciated. Under the Properties|Security tab for files on my PC it shows the Administrators Group has Full Control. My account is an administrator account, but I need to add it to the list of "Group or user names" in the security tab to get full control of a file. Otherwise I just have read and...
September 22nd 07 06:04 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 146
Outlook and web access fails when updates are added by PA Bear
Crossposted to Vista Security newsgroup. I was asking about Office 2003 SP3, not SP2 (SP3 was only released 2 days ago): Is SP3 listed in windowsupdate.log or in Update History at Windows Update website? What other updates are listed that were recently installed, other than Defender definitions updates? I very much doubt that a Defender definitions update caused the problem. -- ~PA Bear
September 22nd 07 04:47 PM
by PA Bear Go to last post

From The