Vista Backup won't recognize external WD hard drive by Nevet
Greetings Vista gurus, I just bought a new Western Digital "Passport" external (USB) portable hard drive. The drive is working fine, I can see it in Windows Explorer and manually copy files to & from it. But when I try to use Windows Backup (from Vista's Backup & Restore Center), I immediately get an error message that the backup target drive failed: "The backup disk has a corrupted file...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 25th 09 06:02 AM
by winuser Go to last post
14 356
Select different audio card for speakers by Giles
I have two audio cards installed - and working - on my PC. In the Playback window of Sound (accessed via Control panel) the Speakers item shows up as using one of the drivers, and it has a green tick next to it. How do I tell Vista to use the other driver to drive the speakers?
November 24th 09 09:15 PM
by Giles Go to last post
0 153
Registry Errors, how to fix? by arico
On using OneCare registry Clean i get the following errors File type associations (4 errors, 0 skipped) Error Items HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.cda HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\FileExts\.wmd HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wms HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wmz
November 24th 09 03:26 PM
by TopLess Go to last post
5 243
Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000 by spentbros
I just got one of these. I'm running Windows Vista & have been using a wired Intellimouse. I installed the software & followed the installation instructions (I thought), but the wireless mouse & receiver (which the system reports is working normally) doesn't seem to do anything. The old mouse is still installed & connected & works. What should I do to get the new mouse working? Be gentle with me...
November 24th 09 06:39 AM
by spentbros Go to last post
0 152
Removabke Dusc (E:) by Gene L.
My Windows Vista Home Premium computer directory shows an icon captioned "Removable Disc (E:). When I right click on the image and select "Remove safely" it goes away but when I restart, It is right back again. There is also an icon in the notification area of the task bar that tells me I can safely remove the hardware. This too reappears when the computer is restarted. I do not have a...
November 24th 09 12:42 AM
by Gene L. Go to last post
0 176
CD/DVD Drive missing - tried everything! by Navieko
Not even sure what might of caused it because I'm not totally sure when it happened... must of been between this morning to just a hour ago (like 10 hours); and in that time I've installed quite a bit of software. It's just that problem that a few people have, where the CD/DVD drives suddenly go missing from explorer. It's fine and well in device manager, says its up to date, enabled etc....
November 23rd 09 10:42 PM
by Peter Foldes Go to last post
9 264
Hitachi CM823F monitor not seen by vista 64 SP1 by Galvin
I see generic PnP monitor. Which prevents world of warcraft from using anything higher than 85hz. The cm823f.inf file which is the driver for this monitor will not install. When I try to install the device I get "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation" If there is no working hitachi 823F drivers, then I need to know how I can hack the registery to make 100hz...
November 22nd 09 01:28 PM
by Degwees Go to last post
4 277
iTunes took over autoplay by djclae
I've searched for help with this specific problem but have found none. I installed iTunes sometime ago to rip CDs, and really regret it. It took over the autoplay for when an audio CD is inserted, and the system completely ignores what I have set for the handler (Windows Media Player). So today I finally got around to just completely uninstalling iTunes, and it didn't fix the problem. Now the...
November 22nd 09 11:43 AM
by djclae Go to last post
2 236
DVD Burner Drive problem by Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]
My external DVD burning drive was working fine the other day as a matter of fact I had burned 3 DVD's but when I tried to burn the 4th one my computer still detected the burning drive but my burning program (ImgBurn) didn't detect the DVD media. Does this sound like maybe the laser went bad in the drive. -- Walt
November 22nd 09 11:24 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
8 258
LG monitor seems to have overwritten defaults for mouse click and desktop layout by flowa
Hi, I have searched before posting this query so apologies if I am treading over well worn territory. My Father has a Satellite Pro a120 running Vista. A while back he connected a 24" LG monitor and ever since then he's been having to reset his mouse click speed and reorganise his desktop icons every time he starts his laptop. The laptop has had performance issues since then too, often...
November 22nd 09 10:02 AM
by flowa Go to last post
0 245
Bluetooth in Vista SP2 by ANew
Bluetooth had stopped working in Vista SP2, it does show any external devices and, as a result,does not add them. Is there something to look at?I have checked the drivers: bluetooth radio and enumerator and device manager showthay are working.Thank you for any hints. Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums
November 22nd 09 05:37 AM
by igotsaurus Go to last post
1 161
Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 - Not Connecting by ac
I've got the same issue with the 5000. Every time this happens I need to remove the bluetooth device and add it again and only then it works. Frustrating to say the least - any suggestions?
November 21st 09 11:16 PM
by ANew[_2_] Go to last post
1 177
Mouse settings reset to default every time by dkswenson
Hi! I changed my mouse settings to switch the "right-click" and "left-click" buttons (as if for left-handed) - but every time I log out, restart, anything... it changes itself back to the default. How do I make this setting permanent?
November 21st 09 09:57 PM
by Old Dude Go to last post
9 322
bluescreen caused by my audio devices by Regnier K.
i am having a dv-4 pavilion, and i am using a creative SB 5.1 x-fi sound card usb. i recently had a bluescreen and the report said i have an audio software problem. the creative sounds great but i seems it's the root of the problem. i would to keep it but run nicely without problem. i would to know if it is a conflict problem, or a device software problem. i received this report which is a...
November 21st 09 07:21 AM
by Regnier K. Go to last post
0 244
bluescreen caused by my audio devices by Regnier K.
i am having a dv-4 pavilion, and i am using a creative SB 5.1 x-fi sound card usb. i recently had a bluescreen and the report said i have an audio software problem. the creative sounds great but i seems it's the root of the problem. i would to keep it but run nicely without problem. i would to know if it is a conflict problem, or a device software problem. i received this report which is a...
November 21st 09 07:21 AM
by Regnier K. Go to last post
0 149
DVD Burner Drive problem by Walter Goldschmidt[_3_]
My external DVD burning drive was working fine the other day as a matter of fact I had burned 3 DVD's but when I tried to burn the 4th one my computer still detected the burning drive but my burning program (ImgBurn) didn't detect the DVD media. Does this sound like maybe the laser went bad in the drive. -- Walt
November 21st 09 12:59 AM
by Walter Goldschmidt[_3_] Go to last post
0 160
Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device by VistaUser[_2_]
I use a USB drive to backup my PC. I do NOT use the "schedule" feature of my backup software because I prefer to backup manually, on my terms, when the PC is not in use. When I plug in the USB drive, or even from a fresh boot with the USB drive already plugged in, I am unable to "safely remove" it. When I attempt to remove it by using the "Safely Remove Hardware" program, I get an...
November 20th 09 04:59 PM
by jolie4u Go to last post
6 217
Error:"windows could not detect a dial-up modem" by Delo
Hello, I will try to explain my problem with some picture first of all, i use 'Toshiba laptop Satellite A200-1BJ' (http://gulf.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?LNG=13&service=AE&highlightOption=119297&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=132101#0)
November 19th 09 09:45 PM
by sandyloopfarm Go to last post
2 222
parition changes by Gail C
Originally the 2nd non-OS disk contained two primary partitions fully allocated to drives D and drive G. I shrunk both and the unallocated space is separated by the second former partition (drive G). How can i get the two unallocated spaces into one area to format and create a new partition -- thank you for your help
November 19th 09 09:03 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
6 179
Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working by razzell2
I have a new HP Pavilion running Vista Home Premium. Ive had it less than a month. I have used the keyboard shortcuts once or twice, just to play with them, when I first started using the computer, and they all worked fine. Until this morning, and now some work, some dont. Most dont. Along the left side of the Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard, is the Sleep button, club hp, www, email, search,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 19th 09 06:10 PM
by smlunatick Go to last post

From The