Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Desktop & taskbar not showing up and as a result a number of programs doesn't run by mihafiz
Hi, I fell into a serious problem. I use Vista Home premium on my MSI notebook. Now it doesnot show up desktop and taskbar and many programs like yahoo messenger, DU meter etc. stops or gives error. How do I bring back my desktop and taskbar? I tried system restore but it did not solve the problem. Now here is what happened just before this problem showed up: As I was leaving for my university...
October 11th 08 05:11 PM
by Paul Montgomery[_3_] Go to last post
9 288
Vista home premium won't boot up by Ferrell
Well, i'm on a gateway with Vista home Premium and it won't boot up. When i start it normally it goes to a screen that says windows error recovery. It has two tabs launch start-up repair (reccomended) and Start Windows Normally. So when i press enter on the launch it just goes to that screen over and over.
October 11th 08 12:28 AM
by Tom W. Go to last post
1 193
Mouse pointer goes berserk.... by philipcfromnyc
I write this in the hope that somebody will be able to help me. I have an Acer Aspire 5520 AMD Turion 64 x 2 (2.0 Ghz, 3 GB RAM) (Vista Home Premium) which I purchased about six months ago. I loaded a lot of software onto this machine; however, I do not run much software at any given time. I have a serious problem. Without warning and without predictability, the mouse pointer goes berserk,...
October 10th 08 11:48 PM
by Stan[_5_] Go to last post
5 156
Rundll32.exe and Kernel32.dll issues by Kenneth Hulcher
The other day some malware got on my computer, I was able to detect and remove it before it got completely into my system, but it has somehow managed to corrupt the kernel32.dll and rundll32.exe files. Problem: Rundll32.exe has crashed. *Problem signatu* Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: rundll32.exe Application Version: ...
October 10th 08 06:29 PM
by SIW2 Go to last post
4 182
Vista defrag utility supports RAID ? by TSurfer
Hi, I have an EVGA nForce 680i mobo with a hardware RAID controller on it. I installed Vista on a 2 x 150GB Raptor RAID 0 array. I'd like to know if the Vista (or Live OneCare) disk defragmenter utility supports RAID configuration (from a hardware controller) ? Because I'm afraid that all the datas being moved to one disk of the array during defragmentation and therefore l would loose the...
October 10th 08 05:46 AM
by giyad[_2_] Go to last post
3 171
Experience Index problem by Rolando E Creagh, MD
Good day gentlemen. This laptop (details bellow) has a WEI of 4.3. It is asking for a refresh because of new hardware (?). Nothing was changed since OS instalation, except updated drivers. PROBLEM: Refreshing the WEI does not complete and it finish with the following error:
October 10th 08 12:34 AM
by NormCameron Go to last post
5 167
How is dpupdchk.exe stopped? by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
I found the below information to stop dpupdchk.exe from running and eating up 3 to 5 MBs of RAM but it doesn't apply to my version of Vista Home Premium since there is no Local Security Policy or Software Security Policies under Administrative Tools. How do I stop this from running? To prevent this task from running you will actually need the assistance of Windows itself, as follows : a)...
October 10th 08 12:15 AM
by news.microsoft.com[_10_] Go to last post
0 164
forward and back buttons by cowpro
New to Vista and not a geek. When surfing, I look up to find both forward and back buttons are not lit. The only option I have to return to the previous page is to click on the "X" icon. When I do it takes me back to my desktop.
October 9th 08 09:51 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
1 146
Windows Media Center x64 by Alex
If I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 x64 bit Can I add this device ( http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Vista+Companion/PCTV+Tuner+Kit+for+Windows+Vista.htm ) ? It will work with my MS Windows Media Center ( x64 ) ??? Thank You
October 9th 08 06:19 PM
by GeorgeKS[_2_] Go to last post
4 169
MANY errors!!! host process and superfetch! by sandcracker21
Well where to begin. I have Vista 32 Home Premium and love it, if it wasn't for the hundreds of errors. I get the "superfetch has stopped working error" and the "host processes have stopped working error" many times a day. Usually I will be kicked from my wireless internet and have to unplug and replug my USB adapter in to get back on. Many times after I plug back in my USB wireless adapter, I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 08 05:19 PM
by barman58 Go to last post
17 253
I really reallly need help. System restore by jordzzz
i have an oldish laptop, it works fine. but quite along time ago now, i systemed restore it to make it faster like it has done in the past by gettin rid of unwanted stuff. and i turned my laptop off half the way through it now when it loads it will load up until the windows xp and my log in screen however it comes up with a pop up box with the title of bcmwltry.exe - unable to locate...
October 9th 08 11:47 AM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post
2 219
My screen goes blank by susemac
In the last week, the screen of my laptop has gone blank probably 2-3 times each day, and the only solution I can find is to turn it off and restart, thus losing whatever I am working on. I happens in any program, even games. Is this a vista problem, or a hardware problem? -- susemac ------------------------------------------------------------------------ susemac's Profile:...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 9th 08 11:43 AM
by SIW2 Go to last post
11 290
There's no sound when I plug in my earphones! by rawritscm
Right now, I'm reallly frustrated about this problem. I can hear fine with the speakers, but not when I plug in my earphones. Right now I have a Gateway® P-172X (Laptop) and I'm using Windows Vista (Home). I've had this computer for almost 1 year, without many problems. I've tried to fix t his problem by adjusting the sound and other stuff. Unlike other people, I can't hear the tester! I know...
October 9th 08 04:43 AM
by rawritscm Go to last post
0 123
usb hard drive by toneywho
I have a 64 bit HP Vista machine, a HP Pavilion a6567c PC and am wondering if the Iomega 150 gigabyte hard drive that is attached goes to sleep when the computer does. How can I tell if it is or how do I make it go to sleep with the rest of the machine? TIA
October 8th 08 01:56 AM
by Ian D Go to last post
1 152
COM Surrogate hase stopped working by wwp
Could someone tell me what this is and how to fix it. COM Surrogate hase stopped working Thanks for any help you can give me. wwp
October 8th 08 12:04 AM
by wwp Go to last post
3 154
"This Copy of Windows Vista is not Genuine" by Fireguy32
Alright before you say it My Vista is a "Valid" purchase, its not a copy, I got the @#@! receipt to prove it. With that out of the way, yesterday i was just chugging along and I lose my connection to internet and my background picture goes black. I thought no big deal just reboot right? Well when I did that it said I needed to reactivate my vista because my version was not valid. WTF I bought...
October 7th 08 08:18 PM
by super_js Go to last post
4 141
Constatn disk access by Don[_12_]
I am running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit version. My computer has been very slow for about 5-6 minutes after startup with constant disk access. I have used the Reliability and Performance option under Administrative tools and find that after about 2-3 minutes after startup, the only thing appearing in disk access are numerous SVC|HOST calls with the (Local System Network Restricted)...
October 7th 08 07:54 PM
by Don[_12_] Go to last post
2 132
Vista 64 and XP32 on same machine by Herb Cober
Currently I'm running XP Media edition SP3 32 bit I would like to get 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium installed on the same hard drive using Virtual machine. Is has possible. Can 32 and 64 bit operating systems reside and run on same machine? OS is HP Pavilion m7580n AMD Athlon 64X2 2.40 MHZ 2048 Ram Nvidia GeForce 7300LE Thanks for any advice received
October 7th 08 06:14 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
2 134
Mail Folders by nspatti
I used to have several folders in my mail box. Each one was specific with a message rule that send the related mail to that folder. Now all I have is an 'in-box'. So how do I get windows mail to display all the rest of the folders?
October 7th 08 05:29 PM
by Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM Go to last post
4 179
Blue Screen of Death by Brian
While I thought MS was supposed to be done with the BSD, I have found it on my two day old HP Pavilion m9357c running MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. I get it about 7 times a day. I have the updates for Vista on and updated to its full potential...yet it still appears. I also cannot get my Smartphone to be recognized for Sync while running though all the device drivers are in order...
October 7th 08 12:03 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post

From The