Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Moving My Documents Folder by rattlesnake
At the momement the My Documents folder is located on the C: drive, but i would like it to be moved to my D: drive which is for storing all my data. Anyone know how i can do this with out doing any harm to my computer? -- rattlesnake
September 24th 07 08:47 PM
by Michael Go to last post
3 144
In Start Menu, my Pictures and Music folders are gone!!! by LEO MODE
Hi, this is the story Since I don't have enough storage in the C drive, I designated my Documents folder (the sub-folders which were Pictures, Music, Videos and so forth) into the D drive So in the D drive, you can see all my Documents folder and the sub-folders with the correct icon. However, the time has passed by, and I guess something went wrong.
September 24th 07 08:29 PM
by brink[_1194_] Go to last post
6 175
Viewing Backed Up Files by Matt F
I have Vista Ultimate performing nightly backups of my files of C:\ to a separate drive (D:\). Its sole purpose is for backups. Unlike the program I used in XP (Sync Toy), the backup center executes successfully, but when I look at D:\, I don't see any of the files that were backed up. Does Vista use some type of hidden partition for its backups? I know the files are being backed up because I...
September 24th 07 04:11 PM
by Matt F Go to last post
2 191
File Details by btulskie
I uploaded some video files from my digital video camera and when I looked at the individual files, they didn't have any date. I went into the details view, but still no date. When I load the files onto another computer running XP, I see the date. Is this a vista problem or the software.
September 24th 07 03:50 PM
by btulskie Go to last post
0 168
15GB of unknow space used? by Bob
Hi, I've both Vista Ultimate and Enterprise installed independently from each other in virtual machines. Ultimate also has Office 2007 and the used C-Drive is 10.4 GB Enterprise has nothing additionally installed, yet its C-Drive is 24 GB!! Both machines have been Disk Cleaned (with sageset set to remove
September 24th 07 06:45 AM
by Ken Zhao [MSFT] Go to last post
6 187
Default file tree by George
I inadvertently moved some folders in the tree and need to see what the default tree looks like. Running Vista Premium. I think what moved was "local" but not sure if only that folder and/or others. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks George
September 24th 07 05:59 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
4 169
Documents folder disapeared by lawdude10
I just set up my new Vista laptop, and I am less than impressed. after having to change the IRPStack size on the other computers in my home network to allow printer and file sharing (who has ever heard of that issue?) I've encountered a new problem that has stumped me and the IT guys at my place of employ. It all started when I first turned on the laptop. I attemtped to Drag and Drop the...
September 24th 07 05:58 AM
by lawdude10 Go to last post
2 160
browser variable by berthiau
in the past, i had a virus and clean it. now, if i used any email client, the url link doesn't open my web browser internet explorer. I have tried a different web browser(firefox) and the URL link works well. But i want to use internet explorer as my default browser. i have tried many things to fix that bug, but it is still there. Also, i use BOINC, it is a program that is running in...
September 24th 07 03:54 AM
by berthiau Go to last post
0 151
Excel file handling under Vista Ultimate by Piotr Wozniacki
I'm running Office 2007 Enterprise under Vista Ultimate; when working on a rather large Excel spreadsheet I've noticed that sometimes when I save it, Vista complains that it managed to save, but could reopen due to access share violation (the file is still open, but becomes read-only). I'm advised to close and reopen it in order to enable editing; even than it happens that the file is...
September 23rd 07 06:49 PM
by Piotr Wozniacki Go to last post
0 159
how/where do I set the view folder by file type ? by bob
In XP under view, you could set the view files by file type ... ie: in the MY PICTURES folder I want to have all .jpg's grouped together, all bmp's grouped etc. where is this option in Vista ? thanks,
September 23rd 07 04:32 PM
by Mika Go to last post
6 181
Print list of files - (bckup) ? by Boswell
Having several CD's, full of files; how could I locate 1 file , (using an 'Index'). -- Boswell
September 23rd 07 04:20 PM
by Boswell Go to last post
0 159
How can I find Temp files in AppData by Rosy Colours
hiya - I realise I was saving work on a downloaded attachement without doing 'save as' Now I can't find it - I don't believe it's completely gone - I saw a folder/AppData/Local/Temp string - might it be there and anyway I can't relocate that string! please help thanks alot Rosy
September 23rd 07 02:56 PM
by Sig Go to last post
4 194
Backing up Vista and XP to the same disk by mike843536
I have an external hard disk which I plan to use to back up both my work (XP) and home (Vista) systems. The XP backup went fine (to a .bkf file) but when I try to do a Vista Complete PC Backup I get a message saying "The backup could take up to 57GB of disk space. Because a previous backup exists, all of this space might not be required, and only the differences will be saved." The date...
September 23rd 07 01:56 PM
by peter Go to last post
1 204
Idea: A USB Hard Drive of a 16bit MS ME OS booting from a 32BIT Vista - would it work? by Jon[_5_]
Old Pgms - I have expensive application software that works on Win 3.1, Win 98, Win ME (all 16bit I think) on a 2000-era Gateway desktop computer. I have the MS ME OS on a FAT32 hard drive there. XP Business Office suite works fine on this MS ME. This desktop is beginning to crater; one of the 2 hard drives already has bad sectors. The monitor which was already originally a refurb is about...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 22nd 07 06:49 PM
by Jon[_5_] Go to last post
10 246
lost a file by willow
hello i deleted a file my mistake and then deleted it again from recycle bin about 2 months ago and just realized this file is very important to me is there anything i can do to get it back?
September 22nd 07 03:09 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
3 220
Closing folder window with CTRL+W resets ALL folders globally! by Newsgroup User
September 22nd 07 08:21 AM
by Newsgroup User Go to last post
0 152
Indexing - I got it stopped. Now, how do I restart it? by R. C. White, MVP
For the first week or so after I installed Vista Ultimate x64, the Indexing Service ran almost continuously. After a few days, Vista complained that it was running out of room on my Drive C:. The index file was taking over 10 GB on that 20 GB volume, crowding out everything else. So, I created a new 20 GB volume (I've got plenty of hard disk space nowadays.) and dedicated it to just the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 22nd 07 07:19 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
14 311
deletion of old files in office 2007 by I have no clue
How do I delete old documents in Office 2007? In the old microsoft works it was so simple.
September 22nd 07 04:24 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 152
AppData Folder by dasaint
I need to access the Virtual Store folder. However, I can't see the following folder at all: C:\Users\$user$\appdata\Local\VirtualStore I can only get up to the $user$, even though I have unchecked the show hidden files and system files option. Help please....
September 22nd 07 04:16 AM
by brink[_1124_] Go to last post
9 177
Purging Backup Images by John
I'm out of space on my 120GB backup drive for the file backups and the device backups. I have deleted folders and files on the backup device, but there isn't any documentation on what and where to delete. What I guessed at was so wrong one time that I had to format the disk and start over. Isn't there a directory in the software somewhere where you can selectively purge old backups? Or,...
September 21st 07 11:32 AM
by John Hanley Go to last post

From The