Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista's recycle bin disappeared - how to recreate? by Michael Moser
Fantastic! My recycle bin has disappeared! No idea, how that could happen. How do I get it back??? Michael
March 13th 08 10:19 PM
by Michael Moser Go to last post
3 376
How to use the legacy indexing service in Vista? by Charlie K
For some reason the Windows Search Indexer in Vista refuses to index the files on my EXT2 partition (a non-native filesystem). Therefore I have installed the old Indexing Service along with the usual Windows Search, and using the management console (mmc.exe), I have set it up to index the mentioned partition. It seems that all is well - my CPU usage shot through the roof for perhaps an...
March 13th 08 06:32 PM
by Dave Wood [MS] Go to last post
2 348
HOW? Backup System (C:) to External Drive? by mainframeguy
I have vista home premium and a new Laptop. I need to make System Backups (complete drive c:) I realize that Toshiba put so much junk software on my new laptop but could not see it's way to include a System Backup. Would appreciate your replys on the above subject and recommentations for a Backup/Restore that works. I have spent so much time cleaning up the laptop that i would not like to...
March 13th 08 03:20 PM
by mainframeguy Go to last post
5 400
I Need To Find and delete mr drm file by Kate
I have a corrupted drm problem and need to delete my entire drm file but i am on vista and cannot do it any help please?
March 13th 08 10:50 AM
by Bob Go to last post
3 354
excluding copy directories in robocopy by Nicholas Hall
I have posted before on how to use Robocopy, but I am now getting some where with it. I have one last short question though When copying I want to exclude $RECYCLE.BIN and RECYCLER should I use: robocopy /mir k:\ \\Mybookworld\public\ /XD dirs $RECYCLE.BIN /XD dirs RECYCLER /XN /XO
March 13th 08 04:16 AM
by Nicholas Hall Go to last post
0 298
Problem with folder layout inheritance by Keith Howard
Vista has more powerful capabilities than XP at specifying folder layout (e.g. width in pixels, via View | Choose Details...). However, Tools | Folder Options... | View | Apply to Folders does not seem to inherit to certain folders. I’m not sure, but it seems that folders that have been migrated from XP do not inherit the layout specified on new folders in Vista, even if they are below in...
March 13th 08 03:25 AM
by Keith Howard Go to last post
3 422
Support for MDI files in Vista (Microsoft Document Imaging) by gougler
Hello World! Two problems with MDI (very neat format introduced by MS Office 2003 / 2007 for scanned documents) in Vista: 1. Windows Search just won't search OCR'd text inside MDI files. It won't even return MDI file if the filename matches search keyword. (BTW - MDI file extension is selected in the Indexing Options / File Types tab (associated with "MODI Document Filter Class") and...
March 13th 08 03:11 AM
by Dave Go to last post
2 295
Hidden folders don't (un)hide by Ray[_6_]
I use Explorer in classic view. When I use the Folder Options dialog to change the options to show hidden files or system files, the change is applied in the file pane but not in the folder pane. To get it to apply there I have to close Explorer and restart it. Is there a way to get this to work right? -- Ray (remove the Xs to reply)
March 13th 08 01:06 AM
by va9rant[_2_] Go to last post
5 288
Pictures in Documents by Nino Cartagena
I am new to Windows Vista. I am having the hardest time trying to catagorize & rename my pictures. Everytime I go to a picture file in my document files, I highlight the pictures that I want to rename. Then when I click rename & type the name of the pics that I want labeled, it scrambles the pictures in a different order & the numbers of the pics are pic 1, pic 1, pic 2, pic 2, etc, etc....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 12th 08 06:56 PM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post
13 462
Help copying files by Nicholas Hall
I am trying to copy files from my usb hard drive: K: to my network external drive Z: I am trying to copy everything from one to another (files in folders and files that are not in folders) I tried selecting all and then send to Z:, but it took about six hours to copy about 20 gig (I have about 180 gig to copy) I read some where that robocopy is a faster and better way to copy files. The thing...
March 12th 08 06:06 PM
by John Hanley Go to last post
6 294
Windows Explorer: Display File Size Column In Bytes? by Futurist
Hey how's it going everyone :) I was just wondering if there was a way to change the file size column in windows explorer to display a unit other than kilobytes? -- Futurist
March 12th 08 06:01 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post
1 340
how to use robocopy by niks
I am trying to copy files from my usb hard drive: K: to my network external drive Z: I am trying to copy everything from one to another (files in folders and files that are not in folders) I tried selecting all and then send to Z:, but it took about six hours to copy about 20 gig (I have about 180 gig to copy) I read some where that robocopy is a faster and better way to copy files. The...
March 12th 08 02:22 PM
by Nicholas Hall Go to last post
2 280
Can I apply tags to, say, a *.mdi or a *.doc? How? by Questioner
I would like to tag my documents. Can I do it?
March 12th 08 02:08 PM
by Dave Go to last post
1 246
URLs on the Desktop using Vista Utimate 64 bit by Budgie Man
Quite a few of my Web Pages when dragged onto the desktop default back to a standard icon (namely %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll) instead of a least the Internet Explorer icon or the Website's icon. How can I make the icon reflect the Web Page? If I do try to change it myself it reverts back to the default. Thanks.
March 12th 08 01:48 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 304
Please help... by Nino Cartagena[_2_]
I am new to Windows Vista. I am having the hardest time trying to catagorize & rename my pictures. Everytime I go to a picture file in my document files, I highlight the pictures that I want to rename. Then when I click rename & type the name of the pics that I want labeled, it scrambles the pictures in a different order & the numbers of the pics are pic 1, pic 1, pic 2, pic 2, etc, etc....
March 12th 08 01:22 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 317
Common Dialog (Load/Save) - Missing Keyboard Shortcuts? by Axel Dahmen
Hi, as a software developer I find it very hard to use Vista just using the keyboard. One of the things I'm missing is the option to create new folders from within the Vista Common Dialogs for loading and saving files. Usually on Windows this is "ALT+F, W, F". Did I perhaps misconfigure Vista to not support keyboard shortcuts? Or are they missing indeed?
March 12th 08 10:59 AM
by Axel Dahmen Go to last post
7 386
PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!! UNEXPECTED BLUE SCREEN & SHUT DOWN by RAVINDERA SINGH
This happened when I was using my laptop I got this message regarding an unexpected shutdown in windows when it restarted ask for updates i did that Any ideas as to what is going on? I have a toshiba settelite 210 ,running windows vista home premium. I just got it the end of december 2007. Problem signatu Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
March 12th 08 05:10 AM
by RAVINDERA SINGH Go to last post
0 303
DRM folder by Oathsworn
Hi Folks I am trying to d/l a tv programe, but the Vista Media Player, says "Windows Media Player has a DRM error that prevents iPlayer from downloading and playing programmes." The help says "Either you are told that a "DRM reset is required" or else the Security Upgrade button is greyed out." Where is the Security Upgrade button, if it exists. As I have not seen a message saying DRM reset...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 11th 08 09:11 PM
by Bob Go to last post
11 518
Take ownership by John Reid
Running Vista Home Premium, 32 Bit, on an Acer Laptop with 2 mg memory. I went to the Petri web site http://www.petri.co.il/add-take-ownership-context-menu-vista.htm and copied the programme into Notepad as directed. I did make one change; where the first line says :Windows Registry Editor Version 5" I changed it to Version 6" because the error message on the second screen said that "there...
March 11th 08 09:04 PM
by Bob Go to last post
2 306
Too Many Users! by John Reid
After I became more familiar with Vista, I decided to add myself as a regular user and only use the Administrator user as required. However, I was unable to transfer my programmes, files, etc to the new ordinary user so I simply made my old Administrator User my regular user and made my new User the Administrator.This appears to work well. However, while doing this I accidently created...
March 11th 08 07:08 PM
by John Reid Go to last post

From The