Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Health Check by screech
I have a problem with the Health check program. It has my pc health status set at poor. The maintance problem saids you do not currently have a recovery disc for your files. When I click on repair it wont fix it because I already have a set of recovery disc made but the message wont clear does anyone no how to fix this?
March 2nd 08 09:28 PM
by That Guy[_2_] Go to last post
2 258
Vista Updates "Window modules installer stopped working and closed by bullmom
Vista Premium Home came installed on my Dell desktop about 6 months ago. Since November 2007, updates hang and will not complete. Some at 15%, others at 75%. Some will install and others won't complete. Clicking cancel has no effect. Hard shutdown is the only way to shut down, as the computer continues to run updates. I really want to keep updates current, but... Any suggestions?
March 2nd 08 09:26 PM
by C.B.[_5_] Go to last post
4 2,910
Task Scheduler error by Howard
When I went to add a task to task scheduler (disk cleanup) I got hit with an error, my task library went blank & this is what popped up: Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT:0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED) I'm running a 3 month old Dell XPS One, Vista Premium, any help appreciated thank you in advance
March 2nd 08 09:18 PM
by C.B.[_5_] Go to last post
1 200
After login, get black screen/explorer window by Rile
Vista Home Premium HP Pavillion dv6500 2 GB RAM After logging into my laptop, it shows one explorer window into "My Documents" and no desktop. I've tried the Ctrl+Alt+Del solution many a time, but I always have to do it again when I reboot. My registry entry for Shell under Winlogon is "explorer.exe" and always has been. Can anybody help me?
March 2nd 08 09:05 PM
by iHeArVoIcEs[_2_] Go to last post
3 127
one care error by rocio
I have a Windows Vista Ultimate installed, with all upgrades. Everytime I tried to run ONE CARE it returns an error# 0x04100407. Can anybody help me to solve this problem? thanks ermindo/manaus/brazil
March 2nd 08 08:55 PM
by .Joe[_20_] Go to last post
1 165
Can't delete printer from system by swalker
I bought a new printer and am attempting to "remove" the old one. By "remove" I mean I do not want it as an option on the print screen, which also contains One Note and Microsoft XPS Document Writer. I tried a right click and choosing delete but it never gets deleted, although in the print selection screen if it is highlighted it shows below that it is "Deleting - Offline". It has been in this...
March 2nd 08 08:44 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 155
Size of pages wrong by flozeb
I am runinng Vista on my laptop, its been fine. Had problems with my email yesterday and isp sorted it remotly. Since then everything is too big ! any web pay i open is large type, all the task bars and icons are big, its like working through a microscope. Even the start menu is giant. I have tried the the crontral qand scroll, but that is not perminent, tried changing the screen resoloution,...
March 2nd 08 07:48 PM
by Pat Go to last post
3 121
Windows Defender Cause of Slow Boot ? by clarkedesign[_3_]
Hi, I've just been reading another thread about slow boot times and was pointed into the event viewed to look at the logs. In there I've discovered that the thing that is slowing my boot seems to be Defender (see below) --------------------------------------- This startup service took longer than expected to startup, resulting in
March 2nd 08 06:04 PM
by Brink Go to last post
3 139
My Desktop don't refresh automatically by Miguel
Well my problem is this, or at least the most annoying part of it, when I remove any file, and it goes to the recycle folder this remains the same as if there aren't any file on it... and to the recycle icon appear in full "mode" I have to do a right click on the desktop, with the mouse, and press refresh to everything became normal... How can I put the refresh function automatic...
March 2nd 08 05:50 PM
by Miguel Go to last post
0 115
Digital Camera by Bogdan
Hi, I bought a FujiFilm FinePix F47. I didn't find on the internet drivers (for Vista) for it but on its box write "Certified for Vista". I want to know if is there somebody who have a digital camera like of mine. If I install his manufacturer drivers (Windows XP) can crash that my Windows OS? Why I ask this? Well, because in the past, when i installed some drivers, the explorer.exe was...
March 2nd 08 04:12 PM
by Bob F.[_4_] Go to last post
3 137
Why you have so few restore points - answered! by Julian[_3_]
It's not a bug - it's a completely idiotic feature of Vista Home Premium (and maybe Basic too) System Restore relies on Shadow Storage - which MS also uses to provide "previous version" file capabilities in higher-end Vista systems. However, Vista is in fact still taking copies of ALL your files - thereby eating up space that you might reasonably have thought was solely for System Restore...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 2nd 08 02:33 PM
by NoStop Go to last post
27 329
Can't Start New Backup of Just My Documents by Highlander
I had previously begun a full system backup and several of those disks were damaged. I would like to now just backup documents, pictures, music and e-mails. The backup utility will only give me two choices. 1) a full system backup or 2) a backup of the files mentioned above since the previous backup. How do I just get a complete backup of my documents, pictures, etc?
March 2nd 08 11:08 AM
by Highlander Go to last post
5 206
I cannot change my desktop background by SerenityMay
When I try to change my desktop background it comes up with a message that says, program disabled contact you system administrator. I know I did not disable this option myself and no one else uses my computer. How do I get the option to work again?
March 2nd 08 07:33 AM
by mwong911 Go to last post
8 156
Vista Ultimate x64 MUI english language pack horrible Error Code 2 by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint) "kimbo" wrote in message ... Hi, I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 with default Polish languange. I wanted to check the new addition "Dreamscene" that showed up in my "updates" section but it doesn't work - it downloaded ok, it installed fine (and says that...
March 2nd 08 03:20 AM
by Robert Aldwinckle Go to last post
0 294
Problems with Right Clicking in IE7 by Robert Aldwinckle
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint) "M. D. Metzger" wrote in message ... (Hmm...I actually typed this once already, but the page wouldn't display when I hit "Post" and it didn't appear in the thread. My Web connection wasn't interrupted on this end, but...oh, well. Here's another try. The...
March 2nd 08 02:34 AM
by Bob Go to last post
2 145
Memory Maxed Out During Software Installations by anthoj
Hi, I have a problem on my x64 Vista that I've had ever since I started using it. I was never able to find a solution for it even after googling the problem for months. First I will list my specs as I suspect that the problem might be hardware related. EVGA 680i T1 C2Q Q6600 OC to 2.8 Ghz 4GB DDR2-6400 (with modified timings & speed obviously)
March 2nd 08 12:38 AM
by anthoj[_2_] Go to last post
4 113
For Ken Blake, MVP by Scrivener
Hi, Ken: I've enjoyed reading your posts. I posted this message to the Thread below, but wanted to make sure you saw it. So, I copied and pasted it here. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, Ken: I have a laptop with three gigs of SDRAM housed in two slots: Slot 1, 2
March 1st 08 11:40 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
8 152
assigning free hard drive space by Latoon
Have just suffered a catastrophic software meltdown and had to do a clean install of Vista and Office. All are running fine, but I have noticed that instead of a single drive C like I used to have, Vista has partitioned the hard drive. I have managed to free up all the space on the Single Volume that used to hold my data but I cannot reassign the free space to the main drive C. Does...
March 1st 08 10:04 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
6 147
Upgraded from 2GB to 4GB but Vista doesn't see by tony2tones
I've upgraded my ram from 2GB to 4GB...the bios reports 4096 but Vista reports 2048...the exact same value before the upgrade. I'm aware of why Vista doesn't report all of the add'l memory but in my case I see no change at all...does any one have any ideas? Thanks! -- tony2tones
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 1st 08 09:48 PM
by PDX4WD Go to last post
10 180
Annoying audio alerts by eddiebigd
all day long i keep getting these 1/2 second soundbytes which, I think are some sort of alert. There are several sounds issued, and the computer rotates between them. Sometimes it's a cat's meow, other times it's the sound of the crack of thunder, and also a sound like a fist punch or a slap of some kind, which makes me think that it's a blocked pop up alert, but doubtful since I went to the...
March 1st 08 07:17 PM
by eddiebigd Go to last post

From The