Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Transfer XP to New Computer by Steve[_32_]
I have a new computer with an OEM version of Vista Home Basic. I have an old computer with an up to date retail version of XP including the registration/sn number. I DO NOT have the original XP disk. How do I transfer XP via CD/DVD to a second partition on my new computer?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 8th 08 12:33 AM
by NoStop Go to last post
19 310
Stuttery desktop, completely freezes randomly by blitzxgene
Whenever i am not running a program that takes up face time on my dell inspiron 531, my desktop has a sort of laggy/chunkyness to it, but not so extreme that it makes using the desktop impossible. But, if i run music through winamp, or sometimes firefox will stop it, or in the newest case, turning on Aero, it stops. I have had this problems for as long as i can remember, possibly appeared...
March 7th 08 10:48 PM
by Bob Go to last post
9 152
Cannot minimize all windows. by matt
the button to do this is not in my taskbar. can someone instruct me how to get it there. the one to make my windows hover is there. whatever that function is called. Thank you =)
March 7th 08 08:59 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
3 147
HELP!!! Desktop goes haywaire and taskbar items disappear by twitterp8ted
I had Premium running on my Intel dual core with 2 gig memory. I upgraded to Ultimate and now my display goes haywire. Best description I can give is that windows will jumble up within themselves and shadows of a window on top of another will remain in a window below it when said top window is closed. ALSO, my taskbar messes up to the point that everything disappears from it until I roll...
March 7th 08 08:21 PM
by twitterp8ted[_2_] Go to last post
1 103
objects and font is small by Lscallan
Everything on my computer is smaller not the size of the screen. but the web pages the pictures/ print / the works I did not change the apperance. Or any thing like that it just did it. I have tryed everything but can't get it to return to normal. Any ideas.
March 7th 08 07:00 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
6 140
display too small by RobRu
my problem is that the display and font size too small....I have done system restore and changed the resolution of the screen. did not help..once when I did sytem restore it came back to normal but them after is went to sleep it came back small and different type font..now I cannot get it back at all. My backround is smaller not taking the whole monitor as it did What can I do I am very...
March 7th 08 06:06 PM
by Pat Go to last post
6 142
Imporving Aero Index Score? by J-man
My Aero rating is 3.4. The rest of my ratings are 4. Is this Areo rating decreasing my overall performance? If so how can I increase the rating?
March 7th 08 05:06 PM
by admuh Go to last post
5 145
blue screen ~ vista improperly shuts down by Chelle
I have had my HP computer for under 2 weeks and this is the 6th time Windows Vista blue screened and shut down. After the 1st 4 times it blue screened, I did system restore (which took several attempts to sucessfully work). I had two blissful days w/ no problems. Today I installed Microsoft Office Suite 2003 and vista has improperly shut down/blue screened, twice in 2 hours. In the...
March 7th 08 02:46 PM
by Dwarf Go to last post
3 163
CPU usage at 100% constantly after waking from hibernation/sleep by ljaquier
Okay, I'm completely confused on this issue and I've baffled people at Dell, which from experience isn't hard to do. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home Basic as the OS. My CPU usage bumps between 10% and 44% after I first start up my computer. And when I allow my computer to sleep and then wake it up, it runs at 100% constantly. I've tried stopping programs from running in...
March 7th 08 02:41 PM
by Bob Go to last post
5 143
undeltable folders by rhoos
I inadvertently installed a program that came bundled with a new scanner. The uninstall was not complete. It left a folder under program files and a shortcut on the desktop. I cannot delete either of them. All I get is a popup that says it is calculating remaining time. Nothing happens. There are no processes from this program running. I have ownership rights. There are no traces left...
March 7th 08 02:33 PM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
3 144
I think Windows Aero by Biddra
My wife didn't know my password so she just shut off the computer instead of shutting it down properly. Since then Windows Aero doesn't work and all the windows are very basic and everything is mostly white. I tried to load the Aero theme but it didn't list it; I found it but when it loaded it didn't change hardly anything. I reloaded Windows without formatting the hard drive and it still...
March 7th 08 12:16 PM
by squeakstar[_13_] Go to last post
1 128
HDD suffers daily space decrease by msrb
Since I bought this new laptop (toshiba Satellite a215-s7437) I've noticed that every day I check the available space of the hard disk it just keeps getting smaller. I formated the disk about a week ago and obviously it helped, but the problem is starting to reapear... Eg, yesterday it said I had about 147gb, today it has 145gb.... I didn't download nothing, what's worse, i've been deleting...
March 7th 08 01:34 AM
by msrb[_3_] Go to last post
6 134
Vista no-warning hibernation (power options) by Fred Ehrhardt
Hello, Context: Lenovo Y410 laptop, Vista Home Premium. Problem: at low battery level (10% currently), system hibernates without warning. I have set low battery action = do nothing (had been set to hibernate by Lenovo); low batt notification On (was On, turned Off, OK, turned back On, OK). Critical batt level = 7%; action = hibernate. Am I overlooking a setting? Is this a known defect in...
March 6th 08 09:47 PM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post
1 116
Desktop messing up by KmKrusader
Can't access start menu all i see is my pic then transparent background of the menu that pops up no links and the toolbar messes up showing available windows sometimes behind the windows start button any have this problem?
March 6th 08 05:35 PM
by Bob Go to last post
3 170
schtask.exe failed to by Nelson
Hello, Has anyone seen this message when shutting down Vista Premium? I've searched the web for a fix or what is causing it and i did not get anywhere. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance
March 6th 08 12:57 PM
by Tinov Go to last post
2 153
Vista SFC Failure by Marko
When will Microsoft fix sfc /scannow ? SFC (system file checker) returns a corrupt files found but cant fix message on new PCs. I reformated the HD and restored my Vista OS to factory. I tested a number of new laptops from various manufactures and they all have the same error message. I called Microsoft support and tier 2 support spent days then told me that the OEMs are messing up...
March 6th 08 11:21 AM
by Diamontina Cocktail Go to last post
8 142
Shut Down stop clearance of paging file by Kipper
I elected to use the clearance option of my paging file when using shut down on Vista, I cannot now find how to stop using it, as it takes far to long to do a restart during normal operating times. Can anyone point me to the commnad to stop the option please? rgds Chris
March 6th 08 10:36 AM
by Kipper Go to last post
4 118
Explorer doesn't start automatically by fmq
When i start my laptop, the Folder Explorer doesn't start when i start the computer. Therefore i got completely blank empty background with no icons, task bar or start menu. Only My Documents folder pops up. I have to run the "explorer" manually from the Task Manager, and everything starts up normally. Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.
March 6th 08 06:16 AM
by fmq Go to last post
2 144
Temp files by Uday Sahgal
I am using Windows Vista Home Basic. While using cleaning programs like CCcleaner or Advanced Windows Care or Revo Uninstaller, I discovered a large no of temp files in C/Users/App Data/Local/Temp folder size more than 2GB, also a huge no of file of size 0 KB. Is it safe to delete these files. In the past I had a problem as I find that my HP All in One, installs backup files in the folder...
March 6th 08 03:43 AM
by Bob Go to last post
3 133
Diolog Box by Enough to be dangerous
I have an Acer with Vista. Every time I try to do anything, a box pops up asking if I want to delete or move to recycle bin? This problem seems to come and go. Any help?
March 6th 08 02:37 AM
by Enough to be dangerous Go to last post

From The