Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Save or Open Dialogs cause programs to crash by sync0s
Hi. I've been experiencing this problem for a little while now and (i'm not sure if this is the right forum but please direct me the right direction if it's not) it didn't occur long after I got Windows Vista. Anyways, When ever I attempt to do File Save As or Open the dialog will pop up and then will cause the program that I did this in to hang and it will no longer respond. I have 3...
May 22nd 09 08:11 PM
by kapparash[_2_] Go to last post
2 189
Favorites not working by bajanet
When I go to "Favorites all the folders are there. Once a folder is opened & I select a favorite it will not work. Favorites was working 2 days ago, but not now. I have done a "reset" to a previous date, but did nothing to help. -- bajanet
May 22nd 09 04:38 PM
by Ǝиçεl Go to last post
1 199
Is Task Scheduler really necessary? by GeneticFreak
It seems like it's impossible to disable the Task Scheduler service in Windows Vista. It keeps launching tasks without my permission, and constantly freezes any applications that I have open. Why did Microsoft make it incredibly easy to disable Task Scheduler in Windows XP, but not Windows Vista? I don't get it. Is there a way to completely prevent it from taking control of my PC? --...
May 22nd 09 04:24 PM
by Ǝиçεl Go to last post
1 227
Audiodg.exe - FIXED by HemanC
right click on the speaker icon at the bottom right. select Playback Devices highlight the icon with the green check mark click Properties click the Advanced tap uncheck Enable audio enhancements Not sure if that will lower the sound quailty but at least my lowly P4 2.66Ghz doesn't skip anymore. Now audiodg.exe run less than 5% of the CPU time.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 22nd 09 11:08 AM
by Ichigomilk Go to last post
12 516
Low memory on Windows Vista by Rob
I am using an Acer Aspire 5290G laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. The laptop has 2GB RAM but I have been getting Low Memory warnings after which I have had to reload Windows. At the time the only not automatic applications running are Norton Internet Security, Messenger, iTunes and iPlayer from the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). I've tried increasing the virtual memory...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 21st 09 05:57 PM
by buck paradis Go to last post
12 390
AOL Webmail Chime and old microphone by Helpmepls
WELL I FINALLY FOUND HOW TO MAKE THE REALTEK SUBWOOFER WORK (THANKS TO KNEECOLE) BUT IT'S SO FAINT, YOU CAN HARDLY HEAR IT. HOW DO YOU CHANGE THAT? *I DON'T HAVE REALTEK MIC BUT AN OLD MCALLY MIC. :HUH: NOT CERTAIN HOW TO ACTIVATE IT AS IT DOESN'T SHOW UP IN THE WINDOW IN AUDIO MANAGER. * *I ALSO CANNOT GET AOL WEBMAIL ALERT ANYMORE SUDDENLY. NOT SURE IF IT CONFLICTS W/SOME POSSIBLE YAHOO...
May 21st 09 05:29 PM
by Helpmepls Go to last post
0 222
Mysterious Disk Usage by Joe Thompson
I just build a new computer and installed Vista Home Premium (64 bit). I only have one hard drive (640 GB). I've added a few applications and music and pictures from an external HD. I checked my disk usage last night and it said I had used 195 GB! I got that by right clicking on the C drive and then properties. I noticed I had a Windows.old directory and manually deleted it then emptied...
May 21st 09 05:54 AM
by Joe Thompson Go to last post
4 229
Time Display by Ted Kline
Is there any way to get the time display in the task bar to display seconds? Thanks
May 21st 09 04:13 AM
by H Brown[_2_] Go to last post
3 200
Desktop Icons Disappear by Irri_Tant
keep losing all of them and the windows key stops working on the keyboard. can see wallpaper but no icons if I minimise programs that are open -- Irri_Tant I'm an Irri Tant and so is my PC :shock:
May 21st 09 03:58 AM
by Pamfi Go to last post
4 197
Wobble And Balance Board by [email protected]
Isokinetics Deluxe Balance Board - 16.5" - Adjustable Price:$15.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B001CSIRQ8 Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B001CSIRQ8 GoFit Ultimate Wobble Board Price:$54.99 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000G0ON2U
May 21st 09 03:14 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 222
Registry errors, please help! Argh!! by r1k1n
howdy there;) my fiance's laptop is a bit sluggish, and i've managed to find the following 3 reg errors via registry mechanic(a trial version). is there any kinda way i can fix these probs with somethign other then registry mechanic as it's a wee bit costly at the moment? many kind thanks vista gurus! 3 reg errors, these are all indicated as "High Priority values missing or invalid":
May 20th 09 03:44 PM
by Mark H[_2_] Go to last post
3 219
Preventing my computer from restarting automatically b4 my setting by mils
When my computer is getting ready to load my settings(icons) the computer automatically shut down and restarts about 3 to 4 times before it actually loads my settings. What can I do to prevent that from happening everytime i turn my computer on? I have windows xp profressional version 2002, service pack 3. This problem started to occur after i recently installed a new anti-virus (AVG). One...
May 20th 09 09:55 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 193
svchost hog cpu after sleep by notuo
Hi all. I got this issue last week and I just research something about it. I hope you mind with me. English is not my mother tong. Description: When I close my laptop (dell inspiron1721, 2GB, vista home premium sp1 uptodate, plenty of disk) there is no problem at all. When I open the laptop again, svchost takes over the cpu and almost
May 19th 09 11:46 PM
by notuo Go to last post
1 221
Vista Freezes After about 45 Minutes by Eric Mader
Hi, A while back, I had a power failure. My machine is on a UPS and when the battery got low, it started to hibernate. I think the UPS must have failed all the way before the hibernation finished. I don't know this for sure because I was away from my computer when this happened. When I got back and powered up the machine, it would start to come out of hibernation and then freeze. I found...
May 19th 09 04:48 PM
by Eric Mader Go to last post
4 246
comp unlocks itself? by mbuza
I just started noticing this recently (in the past week or 2?) but if I lock my computer (does it with Win+L or startlock computer) and close the lid it unlocks itself. :S I tried googling it but either this is a new issue (unlikely) or I'm just not wording it right because I found nada. I have tried waiting until it locks, clicking on a user account and closing it when it asks for a password,...
May 19th 09 02:18 PM
by Victek Go to last post
1 193
explorer.exe crashes constantly by Jeff in Portland
Ive had Windows Vista Ultimate since its public release. I keep having the problem of explorer.exe crashing. I cannot get it to happen on a regular basis... but it happens frequently. Ill be working along, and suddenly my start/taskbar goes haywire... and looks all funny. Ill move my mouse down to the lower right area that shows the programs running... move the mouse back and forth a bit,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 17th 09 09:14 PM
by datahog Go to last post
18 356
Sluggish Start Menu by Kish
Hi everyone, I just built my new PC just last week, and one way or another, my start menu is very sluggish. Here are the specs: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/kishankaru12/vistascore.jpg] For example, when i click the "all programs" button, it takes 1-2 seconds for the scroll bar to become responsive. When I hover over a program or a folder in the menu, it also takes 1-2 seconds to...
May 17th 09 03:02 PM
by James Matthews Go to last post
1 227
Yet another 0x0000007E... by Iconoclast0w
Hey peeps, Here's the problem I have; While installing Vista x64 Ultimate, I encounter a blue screen, it doesn't give me any particular information other than every other one I get "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" (which I'm guessing is a hardware issue). The full stop message I tend to get is this "0x0000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800185DB11, 0xFFFFF980012D9E58, 0xFFFFF980012D9830)" - Could...
May 17th 09 02:14 PM
by James Matthews Go to last post
1 177
vista freezes by sav1
my pc spec amd am2x2 4600+athlon dual core gigabyte ga-m57sli -s4 pioneer dvr 215bk215 sata 20xdual layer vista home premium 32bit dvd oem hitachi 320gb harddrive hdt72132sla scsi disc device dane-elec 1024800r ddr2 1024mb 800 mhz x2 2 gb 400 watt power supply graphics xpert vision 183207 1024mb 8600gt super gddr-hdtv-dual dvi
May 17th 09 12:27 PM
by neefg Go to last post
4 247
Loss of function of Start Orb + desktop, C Drive unable to transfer files now by logansFar
Hi, I just searched the vista forums through a 100 different results, and have found no answer to my problem. Let me describe the problem first: The Start Button (Orb) in Vista does not respond to prompt, neither left click nor keyboard button. However I can right click the Orb and receive the pop up menu. I can change the Menu to 'Classic' and then it will work, but am unable to change it...
May 17th 09 12:48 AM
by Hobo[_3_] Go to last post

From The