Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't Install Encore DVD2 w/o Admin Rights by mattyB
I was told that you must install Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 as an administrator in Vista. I've tried by right clicking on the setup icon, selecting "Run as Administrator," but the install is rolling back when 90% complete. Any suggestions? Matt
December 29th 07 07:47 PM
by mattyB Go to last post
0 270
Don't Want to Enter Everytime by BobB
In order to used Windows Task Scheduler I had to create a passward for my longon account. Is there a way to have a password but not have to enter it everytime Vista starts up? Thanks, BobB
December 29th 07 04:37 PM
by brink[_2559_] Go to last post
5 257
Parental Controls - user Accounts by Mike the Parent
Hi. I have set up the parental controls for my son's User Account. But, he just sets up a different user account for himself and therefore circumvents the parental controls on his previous User Account. Is there any way that I (as the Admistrator) can apply the parental controls to all user accounts that currently exist or will be created in the future?? Thanks !!
December 29th 07 02:37 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
1 235
Installation - Error on accounts not being logged off...when they by CB
I'm trying to install an application and it won't allow me to because it says more than 1 user is logged in. When I check the task manager for users it only shows my account....there are obviously System and Network accounts running. Any thoughts
December 29th 07 12:03 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 228
Administrator in Vista by TERRIEG
My son got a laptop for xmas with Vista on it. He messed with it a bit at his dad's, had a few pictures on it, etc. When he brought it home he was set up as the administrator and only user. I changed the administrator name from his to mine and set him up as a user without administrative rites. But he was upset that he couldn't find any of his pictures, his background had changed, etc. ...
December 28th 07 07:22 PM
by brink[_2547_] Go to last post
3 269
CLID, SID, GUID or UUID? by Vinson
I have written a program that can set certain policy in Vista, and it worked well until Vista sudden surprised me. Some policy is set in the HKCU hive which affects both user and machine level policy. Until a moment ago, it was simple to enumerate these keys and find the right path to complete a policy setting. When enumerating, you would find unique keys in the path like the one...
December 28th 07 05:50 PM
by amar Go to last post
1 221
Administrative password forgotten by prittylaydee
I have Windows XP and I don't have any reset disk, so all the threads have not helped me with my problem, after a long move and hooking up my 12 year olds computer, neither of us remember the passwords set, what can I do?
December 28th 07 03:34 AM
by brink[_2530_] Go to last post
2 297
administrator cant log on! help by RhonZ
hi i have a sister who is the administrator. for some reason she cant log on in her account! so wat she does is go to mine. but im not the adminastrator and rite now we just bought a printer n is need to be installed w/ this cd n something popped out that i need the adminastrator's password. but again, she has trouble looggin on! her account cant be log on! help!!!! pls some...
December 28th 07 03:24 AM
by brink[_2529_] Go to last post
2 249
Logon Failure - Group Policy by jkaiser
A client's home office computer running Vista Home Premium is displaying the following message when he tries to logon: "The Group Policy Client Service failed the logon. Access is denied." I thought the Vista home editions didn’t support GPOs. Am I mistaken? Anyway, I created a new user and profile in Safe Mode and am able to logon with it, but he’d really like to logon using the...
December 27th 07 06:28 PM
by brewr Go to last post
1 241
No place to enter administrator password by BINGO
When the "need your permission to continue" box comes up there is no place to enter the administrator password. What do I do? I cannot delete programs or load programs, this is VERY frustrating! Please help. -- New to Vista
December 27th 07 06:27 PM
by VistaNoob Go to last post
7 220
password startup problem by jimmygreen
Im running Home premium. When I boot up, the first password screen I see tells me "the user name or password is incorrect" . I click Ok and it takes me to the 2nd page which is the usual password request page. I input here and gain access to the desk top ok. How do I stop the first page from appearing as it seems a bit pointless. All help gratefully received. Best wishes for the season to all...
December 27th 07 02:56 PM
by jimmygreen Go to last post
0 184
server 10.0.0.1 by uva1joe
i'm not real smart when it comes to computers so please don't laugh when i ask this question.lol. i am trying to set up a network with my pc running windows xp se and my new laptop running windows vista.i'm ussing the wizard on vista and it is asking for my username and password to connect to my server 10.0.0.1. not sure what server 10.0.0.1 exactly is can someone please help
December 27th 07 05:05 AM
by uva1joe Go to last post
0 267
logs in as guest? by chelseablue
Even though I log in under an adminstrator account, Vista will not let me change the display language as it says I am a "guest" user. The display language for warnings is in german even though menus etc. are English. Go figure. Why am I a guest user even if I'm logged in under an amistative account. This is a brand new machine and i'm having proplems. I'll be heading back to OS X if...
December 26th 07 09:27 PM
by chelseablue Go to last post
0 443
uploading new software by clueless about Vista
I need to know how to just upload software to one user, not all. I don't know how to do it. I uploaded my daughter's barbie mp3 player and now on all of the users desktops it show barbie girls.com.. Please help...
December 26th 07 08:36 PM
by Sharon F Go to last post
2 216
Bug in Vista's "Change Account Name" by a.k.a.
Greetings everyone, Just passing on a bug I've encountered in Vista on user account maintenance. It came to light as a result of installing a multiboot setup. If anyone knows a more direct channel to get this bug report to Vista developers, please let me know. Recently I installed a multiboot setup of Server, x64 and x86. In moving to this arrangement, I renamed my original administrator...
December 26th 07 08:24 PM
by a.k.a. Go to last post
0 228
User Accounts in Vista Home Premium? by Blue Max
I am working on a laptop computer running Microsoft Vista Home Premium. I wanted to access the utility for modifying user account permissions; normally found in the 'Local Users and Groups' dialog within the Windows Computer Management utility (right-click Computer icon and select Manage). However, I cannot find any 'Local Users and Groups' option in Vista Home Premium. Without this...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 26th 07 06:18 PM
by t00dy Go to last post
23 795
Adminstration by Andy
I am a Vista Ulitmate user, and I am showing as the Administrator. However if I try to transfer folders from one drive to another it says that I have to be given admin rights? Also I have tried to install my service providers internet access but again it comes up with I am not the adminstrator? One thing it is showing the PC as a work place not home, when I try to change this to home it...
December 26th 07 04:31 PM
by Andy Go to last post
0 281
MIRROR USER ACCOUNTS?? by Nita
Hi hopefully someone out there can help me with this annoying problem. For some reason whenever I add a user account (including the administrator user account) a mirror user account is created on the login screen. So now I have two copies of my account and two copies of the guest account. I've tried to delete the other copy by deleting the account, but it wont let me delete my administrator...
December 26th 07 06:17 AM
by Jane C Go to last post
1 262
Log On/Password Failure by GrandMaB
I have only one account on my computer. It is an administrator account. I am unable to log on as I continue to get a "the user name or password is incorrect" error. How can I log on and disable the security requiring the password log on?????
December 26th 07 01:48 AM
by brink[_2502_] Go to last post
1 231
Printer sharing by john3347
I have a new Vista computer on a home network. I am unable to make it share a printer connected to it with any other computer on the network or print to any other printer on the network. I can share files normally both directions, but cannot share printers. Anybody have any suggestions? When I try to "add printer" either direction, I get an error message. In network preferences it shows...
December 26th 07 12:00 AM
by john3347 Go to last post

From The