Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
finding target file by Leo Kline[_2_]
In the XP operating system when I wanted to find the storage locatioon of a file I could right click on the file-click properties and show the target location. In visa it seems that when I try the same thing the Path to the target is not visible. How do I find the target path?
February 9th 09 11:21 AM
by Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP Go to last post
8 260
Massive Memory Loss by Aardvark300
After thinking I had some sort of Viruses I downloaded some anti-virus software. One was something that was part of Macafee called Stinger, another was called Nod32, and the other was Webroot. After downloading these 3 I went to turn off System Restore in my C Drive to use Stinger according to the directions on the site. At that time I had 448G free and afterward I had 418G. I am unsure of...
February 8th 09 10:22 PM
by Frank Holman[_2_] Go to last post
1 189
Folder size not read by hard drive by PortCitySlim
Guys, I just bought a new HD and cloned my old hard drive onto it with Acronis True Image Home 2009. My old HD had 171GB of used space and now my new HD has the same files but only reads 145gb used space. When I tab over my folder like Documents and Setting it shows 0 bytes but it is full. Also when I right click it does not show the folder volume size in the coments box, and when I try to run...
February 8th 09 10:58 AM
by PortCitySlim Go to last post
0 193
Offline Files Synchronization Errors (Vista Sync Center) by Salvador Manaois III
Hi, This has got me stumped. My users' home folders are stored on a NetApp filer (cifs). "My Documents" and "Favorites" are redirected and are made available offline. On the filer, oplocks has been set to "on". When a user syncs his offline files from his Windows Vista Enterprise computer, the "view sync results" window displays a lot of errors (Details: "The process cannot access the file...
February 7th 09 03:56 AM
by haunt Go to last post
2 255
Question about Windows Explorer by javawizard
Is there a way in Vista to see the cut, copy & paste icons that used to be visible in Explorer under Windows XP? Thanks, - Jeff www.odd-info.com
February 5th 09 02:09 AM
by John Smith[_6_] Go to last post
7 266
backup by Leo Kline[_2_]
I recently purchased a vista system with only one hard drive. It has a backup system which looks like a virtual hard drive. It advertises that it is a way to keep from losing ones files in case of a drive failure. How can this be ? If a hard drive fails, then all files are lost. How does this backup system protect me?
February 4th 09 07:24 PM
by David B.[_3_] Go to last post
1 291
folder lost.. by MAKNOT
this happened around one year ago before i discovered this site.. one day i clicked on start and on the music tab.. then an error occurred.. it says that the file location cannot be found. then i browsed 'my computer' there i saw that there are two files separated, a file location with the icon of the music folder, and one with simply a folder icon..
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 4th 09 01:28 PM
by Brink Go to last post
11 466
Need help making Batch file by Cyphor
Ok, so i know very little about making a batch file so i need some help please. I just need it to so some simple (i think) things to help me from having to do it by looking in every folder on my system. This is what i want it to do in this order : 1. Play a specific sound file. -But this is not important 2. Search (if possible) for all pictures on C: drive.
February 3rd 09 07:35 PM
by Cyphor Go to last post
0 180
resorting search results generates a new search by Don
When I do a search of my Indexed Locations, the results display with the following column headings - Name, Date modified, Type, Folder, Authors. When I click on any one of these column headings to simply resort the search, it appears that the search tool is performing the search again (the green progress bar reappears at the top and creeps left to right and my new sort does not appear until...
February 3rd 09 03:11 PM
by Don Go to last post
0 157
Cannot set Excel as default for .xls files by msb1969
I recently installed Office 2007 on my machine with Windows Vista Premium. Upon installation Office did not automatically set the default program for opening .xls file to Excel like it used to. Now Windows will not let me set Excel as the default for opening .xls files. It will let me choose almost any other program...but not Excel which is the one I need.
February 3rd 09 02:35 PM
by DL Go to last post
4 197
Name vs File Name by Michael Walraven[_3_]
I have noticed that when I open the folder c:\users\public\public pictures\sample pictures the pictures have Names underneath them, these names are not the File names. A picture with the Name of 'Autumn Leaves' has the filename of 'Autumn Leaves.jpg' now if I open my Pictures the 'Name' is the file name. My question is how is 'Name' created. I tried copying 'Winter Leaves' and got 'Winter...
February 2nd 09 06:21 PM
by Michael Walraven[_3_] Go to last post
0 190
tcpip.sys by alincioaba
hello this is my first post here and i dont know if i posted it in the right section. i used a tweaked tcpip.sys file and now that file is causing a BSOD every time i boot up my windows. i m using windows vista ultimate x64. i ve seen a similar problem on this forum and somebody attached the original tcpip.sys file but now the file is removed. can someone please help me by attaching this file...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 2nd 09 03:23 PM
by Brink Go to last post
11 455
error msg, think its about permissions by reaper[_2_]
when i close IE i get this error msg " Exception EFCreateError in module AVGTOO~.DLL at 00021FB2 C:\Users\reaper\AppData\LocalLow\AVGTOOLBAR\COMBOSEARCH.acs" other programs have problems saving file too. SecureCRT gave a similiar error bout a .txt file. any help or tips will be very helpful, email me or AOL instant messenge me
February 2nd 09 03:12 PM
by John Hoffman Go to last post
1 219
control panel by XYZ Man
There is no "Indexing" icon in my Vista Home Premium control panel. Is there a way to fix that? -- XYZ Man
February 1st 09 06:42 PM
by Peter Foldes[_2_] Go to last post
1 161
disable file audit? by james
I was trying to rename a folder in my favorites and it kept telling me access denied, even though in the security setting I have full control. Finally I changed the folder's audit setting (forgot what I did exactly, was trying random things) and then was able to rename the folder. I didn't know about this audit feature until now. So it is supposed to log who's done what to a file. How does...
February 1st 09 06:21 AM
by james Go to last post
0 200
Vista sort by file extension by FBfarm
Is it possible in Vista window explorer to sort files by extension?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 1st 09 03:37 AM
by jimeee[_4_] Go to last post
10 383
Folder set up to keep files in the same location by Mike Rogers
I have "My Documents" folder with several sub folders and several files without folders. When I open this folder I would like the folders to be at the top then some misc files I have, then my excel files then my word files. I can move things around to get them the way I want them and all is fine....until I open one and save it. When I close the file it is no longer in the location I...
February 1st 09 03:20 AM
by Mark[_8_] Go to last post
3 197
Vista's Windows Explorer Question by Atreyu[_2_]
In the old Win 98 Windows Explorer status bar, it displayed in parentheses the "Disk free space" following the selected folder's disk space useage. However, I notice this feature is missing in Vista's (Home Edition) Windows Explorer, and I have not been able to find reference to it in the onboard help. Is there somewhere that I have overlooked, maybe, where I can turn on this feature? Thanks in...
January 31st 09 09:57 PM
by Gene Hora Go to last post
5 205
Can't see New Folder in Vista Until I Use F5/'Refresh' by ChicagoK
Hello. Using Vista 64-bit SP1 Windows Explorer; When I create a new folder in another folder I'd previously created, it doesn't become displayed until I use the F5 button to refresh the screen. As you can imagine, this is quite an annoyance. I've tried to research this on the web but have only found one thread regarding this specific issue, and the request for help from anyone by the user...
January 29th 09 07:24 PM
by ChicagoK Go to last post
0 183
Virus has caused explorer not to show anything? by TinovBienz
Hi, I have a strange problem with Explorer. When I open it, I only see the folders in the address bar along the top of the page. I can navigate though the folder structure by clicking an expansion arrow at the right hand end of the list of folders, this produces a drop-down box that I can pick the next folder from. But nothing (no folders or files) appear in the big box that should be...
January 29th 09 06:12 PM
by TinovBienz Go to last post

From The