Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Naming Files/Folders, Favorites/Bookmarks? Any Standards? by KnightBall
Are there any standard File/Folder and Favorite/Bookmark Naming Cnventions? Any References / Links would be greatly apprectited. -- Thanks KnightBall
January 29th 09 02:31 PM
by Jonathan Harker Go to last post
1 222
Boot critical file is corrupt: ...\drivers\ecache.sys by eunix
Direct copy of the ecache.sys file from another systems did not work. This file has to be part of the Vista distribution and should be able to be extracted from the source files. Does anyone know how to extract/expand this file from the source files? -- eunix
January 29th 09 12:47 AM
by Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Go to last post
1 256
How to move Public 'user' area to another drive? by Neil
I've just put in another drive on this Vista Ultimate x64 machine. I found a tutorial on the web and have managed to move all the 'real' user's 'Documents', 'Downloads' etc. onto the new drive*. I have a significant quantity of stuff in the folders under 'C:\Users\Public' but I don't seem to be able to relocate that using the same method as I used for the 'real' users. None of the...
January 28th 09 10:11 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 208
right-click menu search option by John A Grandy[_2_]
In XP , we have a right-click context menu option to search the current dir for files/folders ... In Vista , this option is not present. Is there a way to add it ?
January 28th 09 05:12 PM
by Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 219
Batch File not working in Vista by CAK2170
:confused: Hi and thanks for being here! My company is transitioning to Vista from XP. I manage a MS ACCESS database with a user community that is now slowly transitioning. I recall needing changes to the batch when we moved from 98 to XP and it appears I need to do the same now. Unfortunately, we cannot spend the money to bring the original programmer back in, so I am going to attempt this...
January 28th 09 03:23 PM
by CAK2170 Go to last post
0 174
Bug in Vista Briefcase by Julian
In addition to the generally dire re-implementation of Briefcase under Vista, another (XP/pre-XP?) issue has (re)appeared on Vista HP. I finally caught the briefcase out - in the (badly designed) Update dialog, the "master" version is marked as Modified, and the briefcase copy is marked Unmodified. Select "Details" and one arrives at a "Resolve Conflict" dialog - BOTH files being noted as...
January 28th 09 01:29 PM
by Retroman Go to last post
8 216
CD/DVD troubleshooter, where? by Boswell[_3_]
In order to trbleshoot, my issue with E: drv, I need a CD/DVD trbleshooter. Where can I find one?
January 28th 09 02:12 AM
by Nate Grossman Go to last post
1 230
finding software by fkosmakos
I use XP on a desktop and have been forced onto my wife's laptop with Vista. We use Roboform for password entry. Recently, Roboform disappeared from IE. I cannot find the software or files for roboform because I do not know how to do a search on the hard drive for it. I could transfer, but she has different passwords than i have on my desktop How does one find files in a manner similar to...
January 27th 09 04:11 PM
by fkosmakos Go to last post
2 216
File Deletion Problem... by Robert Barnett
Hello, Ok, here is my problem and what I have done. I am trying to reinstall Adobe Master Collection CS4. However, it errors out. I have contacted Adobe and was told that the: "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" File is the cause and that I need to delete it. This file is located at:
January 27th 09 11:36 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 201
vista'send to' NOT copy-E: by Boswell[_3_]
drv e: DVD/CD-RW, ... SEND TO; will copy to DOCU ... Device; Properties, "this device working properly" ??
January 27th 09 07:33 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
4 200
Hard Drive is not full by Kman
I have the strangest problem I have a Lenovo Laptop with a 106 GB hard drive. It is reporting that I have only 2 GB free and is giving me troubles that would relate to that problem (unable to burn video to dvd etc) I have gone through every folder and cannot find any large files. And if you add up all the folders content it is only about 30 GB of stuff????? I have defragged I have searched...
January 26th 09 07:51 PM
by Kman Go to last post
2 225
Is it advisable to compress winsxs folder? by Rolando[_2_]
Hello. I'm running out of disk space and winsxs is already taking a lot of space. I already know that I should leave it alone. I was just wondering if is it advisable to set this folder to compress W Thanks.-
January 26th 09 02:45 PM
by Dave Warren Go to last post
5 458
Virus or problem with windows vista? by Akarithor
Just over the past few days, my poor laptop hasnt been very well. I was using internet/msn one night and the screen went completely blank except for my desktop background, and my clock/stickynotes/calendar thing on the far right. Not knowing how to fix it i waited a while, then switched off my laptop. I switched it back on again and thats where the problems started, just to get on the internet...
January 25th 09 11:46 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 220
XP-style folder tree in explorer by moi
Hi all, I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is a mod you can make to change the style of the tree view from the Vista little arrow style back to the XP and earlier "+ / -" with dotted lines indicating the nesting levels. I like the arrows in Vista, but the indents are way to small for me to be able to "read" the tree view at a glance... and of course, the arrows don't show up...
January 25th 09 10:17 AM
by Michael Hirmke Go to last post
8 276
Finding text in VBA Modules by Ken Valenti
I am somewhat familiar with advanced search (Vista), but cannot figure out how to search VBA code (Excel & Word). It appears that text searches only search the document / spreadsheet and not the modules. Is there a way to do this (Windows Vista / Office 2003). Thanks in advance!
January 24th 09 06:23 PM
by DL Go to last post
1 172
Windows mail - weird behaviour with error message by Pete
Hi, I have a very annoying problem with windows mail. Whenever I clic in my Inbox on any received mail-link, i.e. cmt.com, I get the following small window with red circle and X: "Windows cannot find ....:/www.cmt.com/sitewide/utils/redirects/ns_redirect.jhtml?url=%2Farticles%2F1... Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."
January 23rd 09 07:19 AM
by cmcole101 Go to last post
3 207
Can't delete desktop folder - currently in use by harringtone
I have a question regarding folders within Vista. I'm a new user on Vista. There is an icon on my desktop that is called Documents with the path: C:\Users\User1\Desktop\Documents Not sure how it got there but somehow I must have created it? It is NOT a shortcut - its type is File Folder. It is empty and I want to delete it. When I try to delete (right click - delete). I get the
January 22nd 09 06:17 AM
by Night Hawk Go to last post
1 242
Windows Vista Ultimate Backup and Restore by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Stephlang wrote: I have been using the backup and restore program in Vista to backup my entire system. I have been backing up my system to an Iomega Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Desktop Hard Drive. (F: drive in my computer). However, low and behold, when I attempt to restore the backup to my system I cannot figure out how to use this.
January 22nd 09 12:53 AM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 193
Cannot create restore point by Blue Max
We are unable to create a restore point on our computer. In trying to do so, we receive the error (also included as an attachment): "The restore point could not be created for the following reason: "The device is not connected. (0x8007048F) "Please try again. Subsequently, this problem is affecting our backup programs. In fact, this problem became evident when our backup programs started...
January 21st 09 10:16 PM
by Blue Max Go to last post
Is it best to create a root folder to C:\ drive for games rather than loading the program files or the X86 files? -- avgwarhawk
January 21st 09 07:52 PM
by Frank Holman[_2_] Go to last post

From The