Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
  Rating Thread / Thread Starter Last Post Replies Views Reverse Sort Order
Lost 'new text document' shortcut by bvandew
Right-click on the desktop and select 'New'....somehow I have lost the shortcut to create a text document. Where does Windows get this information and how can I get it back? --Bruce
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 15th 08 02:30 PM
by FPSguy Go to last post
11 925
ANS: "What's the deal with UAC (Windows Needs Your Permission scre by sbryce61
I am not a computer programmer. I do not know how to access behind the scene programs. When I start internet explorer, it does not ask for permission. I would like to know how to make internet explorer, an administrator. "Jimmy Brush" wrote: Hello, I've noticed that a lot of the questions in these newsgroups are either
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 29th 06 01:10 AM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
10 915
Confused about \[username] folder by yopumpkinhead
Hi all, I just got Vista and am still learning how it works, so please forgive me if this is a simple question. I noticed today when installing some of my software that my folder does not show up when browsing in C:\Users\. The only folders there are Default and Public. My folder is accessible under "Desktop" in the Explore menu, but it is not in C:\Users. Why not, and how do I put it back?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 15th 09 10:14 PM
by yopumpkinhead Go to last post
18 914
Access denied trying to copy file across home network by Joe Ventre
I am trying to copy a file from an XP system to a Vista system and I'm getting an error telling me I do not have permission to do it and access is denied to the destination system. Here is the setup: I have a home network. On the Vista system I use START RUN and type in the name of the XP system (ex: system1). Using Windows explorer on the Vista system I drag the file from the source...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 1st 08 08:10 PM
by captdantman Go to last post
11 911
Locked out of My Music by JackS_77
Hi, I have upgraded to Vista RC1 from XP Home. I noticed that folders such as My Pictures and My Videos have been renamed to Pictures and Videos as they should be, but My Music remained as it was. I attempted to access My Music, but was told that I do not have permission to view the folder, and any attempts to gain permission failed. It is also worth noting that the folder has a shortcut...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 24th 06 03:19 AM
by johnjjbsu Go to last post
12 907
Windows 7 by Brinner
I have tried to upgrade to Windows 7 but it failed to do so. The reason being that a file x8007075 is missing can anyone tell me how I can get this file back.
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 23rd 09 12:01 PM
by pacinitaly Go to last post
22 904
F6 by Jan Kucera
Any idea why F6 cycle includes the address bar as it should and Shift+F6 does not? The same in IE7. Jan
September 5th 06 11:39 AM
by Jan Kucera Go to last post
3 902
Total File Size in Status Bar of Explorer by ankohler
Is there any way to show the total file size of all files in a specific folder? I am not talking about right click - Properties. In XP the status bar always showed the size of the all files in that folders when NO file was selected... I really miss that behaviour...
September 7th 06 08:35 PM
by ankohler Go to last post
0 893
I want to arrange files in my folder by type by txacoli
In XP, the option to arrange files by type was always there. In Vista, it is not. I know that I have to right click and select on of the 680 or so options for arranging files that are there, but to be honest, I use Sort by - TYPE soooo often, that I want it to be there all the time. Is there something I can do to make this a default option, maybe amend a registry key or something??? It drives...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 13th 08 06:34 PM
by Donald L McDaniel[_5_] Go to last post
11 892
where is Internet Explorer Cache located? by Anthony B[_2_]
Where is the folder location of Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16609? We are using Vista Home Basic Dell systems. Trend Micro Internet Security found cookie threats in Internet Explorer Cache location. How can I find this folder? Thank you
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
March 23rd 08 01:57 PM
by DrTeeth Go to last post
27 890
C:\$$DeleteMe.$$DeleteMe.$$DeleteMe.$$DeleteMe.$$D eleteMe.$$DeleteMe.$$DeleteMe.... by Nick Payne
This hidden dir has appeared on the root of the volume on which I installed Vista 5744. I only found it because I changed the default Explorer setting to show hidden files and folders. I assume with a name like that I can delete it, but if that's the case, why is it made hidden so that it wouldn't normally be seen? Nick Payne
October 8th 06 08:48 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
1 890
Video File Previews by Tom Holmes
In Vista beta builds Explorer uses the first frame of each video as the thumbnail video. Does anyone know if there are any plans to change this to a little further on, on most videos the first frame is a useless black image. Or detect the first frame when something useful is shown, Cheers
September 1st 06 04:32 AM
by Stooovie Go to last post
1 879
AVI files play no picture, but with sound by Nicholas Hall
I do not know what has happened but when I try to play an AVI file in windows media player I get sound but no picture. The first time I noticed this is when I went to a BBC (UK website) and tried to watch an online program. The program started and I heard sound,... but there was no picture. When I tried to open a local file the same thing happened. If I open the file in the new (BETA) real...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 8th 08 08:48 AM
by M BILAL Go to last post
34 877
Reset default location for Documents folder - Vista by Mike
I cannot connect to the PC where I had my Documents folder - so I need to reset the documents folder back to its original location on my PC - but becuase I can no longer access the current location for the Documents folder I can't access that folder in order to change its location - can anyone help? i.e. how can I restore the default location for the Documents folder when I can no longer...
January 25th 10 09:54 PM
by putneyboy Go to last post
7 876
VSS idle timeout. shadow copy does not work. by pj
i am running vista ultimate... and my shadow copy is no longer working.. it hasn't for months! it did when i first got my system (dell inspiron 9400)!.. i think i disabled it... but have re-enabled it... but to no avail.. i have system backup set to auto... windows shadow copy set back to auto (was disabled) (under services) and when i right click a folder, and goto previous versions.. it is...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 13th 09 11:53 PM
by peach Go to last post
13 875
Can' Erase DVD by JamesJ[_4_]
Vista Basic 32bit sp2. I have a DVD/CD rewritable. I've created a slide show using different jpegs on 2 DVDs. The only difference is one dvd is a Sony the other is a Memorex. Both slideshows were created with the same software. But, on the Sony I'm unable to erase or format the disk. Vista tells me the Sony is Write Protected. In fact the right click option to 'Erase Disc' is missing. The other...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 10th 10 07:56 PM
by JamesJ[_4_] Go to last post
12 866
Restore files from backup made using a previous version of Windows by Thomas Goddard
Hi, This seems to be a missing link when you go to the Restore Files in Backup Status and Configuration (boy have you guys hosed this). No advanced mode? Anyways, how can I restore my XP backups (this is a critical path)? Thanks, -- Thomas Goddard MCSD/MCAD .net
September 8th 06 01:39 AM
by Thomas Goddard Go to last post
0 857
WinSxS by Fuzz-666
its taken up 12 gigs on my harddrive, how do i safely remove it without hurting the system or make it smaller. -- Fuzz-666
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 29th 09 06:07 AM
by No Name Go to last post
16 853
Subst oddity with UAC by Keith Hill[_2_]
Why is it that I have to subst drives in both a normal cmd prompt and also an elevated cmd prompt? You'd think that a single subst in either type of cmd prompt would become visible to the other (just as if both prompts were running at the same privilege level)? -- Keith
August 13th 07 10:13 PM
by Keith Hill [MVP][_2_] Go to last post
2 853
Files Remain Hidden Even though I selected show Hidden & Protected by LabTechnician
Hello. We have a computer with Windows Vista Business 32bit on a Machine here in our Lab. We are trying to figure out why some of the files in our software are always hidden. We are logged in as administrator, and we have set the folder options so that it always shows hidden files and folders, and to always show protected operating system files. and to always show file extensions. In windows...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 2nd 08 09:08 AM
by Ger Go to last post

From The