Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Unable to read / move / delete file with admin rights by wait4it
Hi all, Not sure if this is posted in the right place but hey ho... When I try to copy all of my personal files to an external hd for back up, 13,000 or so of the 40,000 files cannot be copied as i am told that I do not have the right permission. I run into this problem when logged on a restricted user and give permission through UAC or indeed as the administrator.
September 20th 08 06:02 PM
by oscar Go to last post
4 317
Moving "My DOcuments" and remainder of "My" files to second drive by milkeyway
From XP experience I can easily move My DOcuments from one location to another AND it moves all aditional folders such as Desktop, Pictures, etc. Great! Now, Vista has all folders separate so you have to relocate them individually. So here's my problem: 1. My second HD is called Bookshelf; 2. I create a new folder in Bookshelf named personal; 3. I go back to my desktop, right-click on...
September 20th 08 04:37 PM
by DL Go to last post
1 274
Sync Center: Synchronise files between laptop and USB stick by vdjan
Hi, I want to setup sync between my USB stick (Sandisk Titanium Cruzer) and my laptop with Vista Business, to sync all kind of docs (.doc;.xls;.pdf;...) Problem is that my USB stick is recognized as a media device and I can only synchronize it through the media player. How could I change this and sync the files ? Thx, Jan
September 20th 08 01:18 PM
by JohnB Go to last post
7 371
exclude removable drives from indexing by acryl
Hi all, is there a way to generally prevent USB drives from indexing? I know how to de/select drives and folders in the advanced properties of the indexing settings. But what i'm missing is a general "Don't" for all possible USB drives, USB-Sticks, CDs, DVDs. In the group policies at "Computer Configuration/Administartive Templates/Windows Components/Search" i couldn't find anything...
September 19th 08 10:30 PM
by telwat Go to last post
2 312
Renamed Folders Revert to Previous Names, Cannot Move Folders - FOLDERS ONLY by Mush Man
Hello Staff and Users of Vista Forums, Recently, less than a week ago, I lost the control to rename or move my folders. As you can presume, this problem is very tedious. I have looked around the topics here on Vista Forums and have not been able to solve the problem. I have taken ownership of my folders and that hasn't changed the situation as suggested. When I do attempt to rename or move my...
September 19th 08 06:20 AM
by Brink Go to last post
6 335
Java Script by JMed
Does Microsoft have Java Script for Vista?
September 19th 08 01:13 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
2 321
Finding files, search folders and other questions by Bagheera
I've just switched to Vista and I'm going mad trying to find my files. My most common search is for files created between certain dates. In XP I used to select the folder in which files were located, press F3 and it would bring up the search pane on the left of the screen. Now, if I press F3 I get a box entitled Google but no instructions on how to use this to search. Help tells me to...
September 18th 08 06:16 AM
by JohnF[_2_] Go to last post
3 308
Custom Folder and Folder Association by extraz
Hi, Just wondering if it is possible to make a folder association on windows xp/vista Basically I have a folder with alot of things in it and I want my users to just double click on that folder then it will launch my application and have my application to go through the contents inside that folder. I know how to do a file assoication but I really want to implement folder association.
September 16th 08 10:27 PM
by Jeff Richards Go to last post
3 429
Security Problems by ScottFL386
*Hello All: I am new to vista so please bear with me... I was playing around with the security on a folder that had pics in it, and now I am not able to view the pics due to the security being activated on it. I have tried everything I can think of to allow myself access, or to even disable it and still not luck. Can someone please walk me through the steps on how I get to see
September 16th 08 04:23 PM
by oscar Go to last post
2 261
Customize Disk manager by mrgcav[_2_]
Does any know of a way to customize the view Vista of the disk manager ? I find the action pane, tree console, ect... to be useless and want a way to make then gone permentantly. Possibly a registry edit to change the default view ???? A Shortcut to Disk management would be great too. Please help.
September 16th 08 03:55 PM
by barman58 Go to last post
1 243
Files found using search but Missing from C: by The Tanster
Had some issues with my login profile, basically when I selected my account and entered my password and I was given some message about being unable to load my profile. Luckily I had two administrator logins. Initially I tried just changing the password to my account to see if any changes to the account may solve the corruption. In the end I just removed the account and created a new one. I...
September 16th 08 05:32 AM
by Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP Go to last post
5 283
Restoring e-mail from Vista backup by Gary[_11_]
Last Fall, I made a backup of all my data and e-mail files using the Vista Backup & Restore Center. I backed this up on an external hard drive. Subsequently, I deleted all of that "old" e-mail from my active hard drive. I now want to be able to find an old e-mail that was on that backup. I have reconnected my external drive. I find the backup files there - but how do I just get to the...
September 16th 08 04:34 AM
by Brink Go to last post
3 345
file moving and organisation proplems by tyrram
Error Message: (The source file names are larger than that which is supported by the file system try moving it to a location which has a shorter path name or try renaming it to a shorter name before attempting this operation.) what is that and how do i make it so i never see it again ?? I usually get it when im moving files or trying to delete them. And how do i permanently change all my views to...
September 16th 08 03:02 AM
by vanilla Go to last post
1 280
help!!! by NEEDHELP
How do i export the movie i made on Windows Movie maker in WMV format? Right now it is in MSWMM format! I want to put a slideshow I mad on youtube but it wont let m unless it is in that format! HELP!
September 14th 08 10:59 AM
by Sweet_Shadow Go to last post
2 342
Folder view keeps changing by Nicholas Hall
I have a small, but irritating problem. The problem I have is the view of the folder keeps changing. I know that it is not a big problem, but it is something I would like to sort out either way. Many thanks in advance. NIK
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 14th 08 09:20 AM
by Nicholas Hall Go to last post
13 543
administrator - not? by Nille
im really new to Vista and im beginning to hate it already. Im the only user on my laptop, im a gamer so updating addons and such is importan. I use gaming addons to update my addons. BUT Vista wont let me - claims I dont have the administrative rights to handle those files?? Where do I give myself those rights? I am logged as Adminstrator when i look at my user profile. I understand zilch...
September 13th 08 08:13 AM
by Gordon[_5_] Go to last post
1 301
Deleted folder appears again by speedking
Hi, I have deleted an unwanted folder(which is empty) from my user's music sub-folder. But it came back later. I tried either to empty the Recycle Bin folder and leave it there but the unwanted folder just want to be presente. How to delete it definitely? -- speedking Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 12th 08 01:00 PM
by Jukka[_2_] Go to last post
12 558
Restore backup without deleted files by Sparky
My hard drive recently went bang (long story) and as a result I need to fit a new one, do a new install of vista and restore my files which are thankfully all sitting on an external hard drive. I tried to restore to another computer and though I do get everything back, I also get every file that I have deleted in the past 10 months as well. Where I have reorganised folders and files I get...
September 11th 08 01:28 PM
by Beoweolf Go to last post
2 296
Can't reduce size of drive C: enough by tony
Hi, I have just bought a new computer with vista and a 750go hard disk. I now want to reduce the c: partition to a minimum - I always do that with my computers, I would like to reduce it to about 100 go and have a "data" partition with the rest. But when I try to reduce the size of c: , I can only reduce it to 350 go. Do you know why ? With XP I never had pbs reducing to whatever I wanted.
September 11th 08 01:16 PM
by Beoweolf Go to last post
7 290
Guest account by billybob
I am administrator, I also have guest account set up. When I am on gueststartAll programmes, the same programmes appear as do on my profile. Can I access guest account and remove some programmes. I tried it once and it removed it from mine also Thanks in Advance Glenn sorry vista Basic
September 10th 08 05:53 PM
by RajeshChaukwale[_2_] Go to last post

From The