Threads in Forum : General Vista Help and Support Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
why can't I access my Start Menu, etc? by Walter Donavan
Even though I running as Owner/Adminstrator, Vista Basic will not let me access certain folders under my Owner user (that's me). How can I correct this? I want total access to everything. It denies me access to: o Start Menu o Local Settings o Application Data The message is: "C:\Users\Owner\Start Menu is not accessible. Access is denied."
January 17th 09 10:53 PM
by Walter Donavan Go to last post
3 300
Locking a registry key by fieseler[_3_]
I want to lock a registry key for windows live mail. Its just the key that stores the location on the screen of the spooler or 'downloader' or what ever its called (the loading bar that pops up when you click send/receive) Is there a way to lock the following registry key so that it cant be modified? Perhaps using 'permissions'? HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live...
January 17th 09 10:49 PM
by Dave-UK[_2_] Go to last post
5 304
Windows 7 by Menno Hershberger
There was a newsgroup in private.microsoft.com for longhorn in beta. There is probably one for Windows 7, but I don't seem to be able to find a login for it. Does anyone here know anything about it? I have Windows 7 installed and need a place to discuss it! Thanks. -- --- Long live Fat32! ---
January 17th 09 10:47 PM
by Menno Hershberger Go to last post
4 306
Getting the AutoPlay icon off my desktop by Walter Donavan
During my one successful use of TweakUI, I somehow got the AutoPlay icon on my desktop. It won't go away. How do I get rid of it, please?
January 17th 09 10:12 PM
by Walter Donavan Go to last post
0 299
Can't install McAfee 8.7 or 8.5 anymore by McSwell
(I posted this over on the McAfee forum, but haven't gotten any response. I'm thinking maybe it's a Windows problem anyway) I have a Vista PC that I bought a month or so ago, on which I immediately installed McAfee Corporate 8.5i off of our University's website, followed by the 8.5 patch. It did regular scans, and never found anything. All was well until the University updated the download to...
January 17th 09 09:59 PM
by McSwell Go to last post
0 308
Can't find flash ?_? by marnix_moed
Each time my vista computer updates a new version of adobe flash, it can't play my flash screensaver. (yes, I know most modern screens don't need screensavers anymore, but I have an old bulky one. Besides I personally like to look of it.) I bypassed the problem that vista 64bit can't play 32bit screensaver by playing it through my anti virus scanner. it apparently can play any screensaver I...
January 17th 09 09:55 PM
by marnix_moed Go to last post
0 331
Using TweakUI in Vista by cqui3
"cqui3" a écrit dans le message de news:... Bruce rendered a link to 'TweakVI' and I felt free to make use of it. That program is even better than TweakUI (thanks Bruce), and thanks for your help also, cqui3. BUT it is not free. For TweakUI for Vista see my other messages.
January 17th 09 09:47 PM
by cqui3 Go to last post
0 322
Using TweakUI in Vista (IT WORKS) by cqui3
"cqui3" a écrit dans le message de news:... "cqui3" a écrit dans le message de news:... "cqui3" a écrit dans le message de news:... "webster72n" a écrit dans le message de ... "Walter Donavan" wrote in message
January 17th 09 09:47 PM
by cqui3 Go to last post
0 375
System Restore and Norton Internet Security by Tony UK
This is intended as a warning to anyone using Norton Internet Security 2009. I have no complaints about the product in general, but I offer the following advice: If you have Norton Internet Security 2009 installed, then before you attempt to use System Restore, you need to disable the feature in NIS that protects it from attack by malware. If you do not disable the feature, then S/R will...
January 17th 09 09:26 PM
by Tyro[_2_] Go to last post
2 326
Plan3d.exe Problems Not Resolved by Sancheezia
As of 5:00pm est, I have not recieved any further communication from the manufacturer of this program. I am still unable use the program and cannot confirm whether or not they have any Vista patches or "workarounds". Consequently I'm still asking for help from the Community. Thnx to all who have already responded to me.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 17th 09 08:45 PM
by philpat01 Go to last post
14 624
Screen freezes after switching users by tannerxyz
Running Vista Home Basic. Getting message "Windows Explorer not responding" with an endless circle and black screen after switching users. (that is Explorer not Internet Explorer). Have to restart computer and have each user log off between switches. If a user logs off and the switches to another user, everything is fine. If not get the "Windows Explorer not responding". Can't figure out what...
January 17th 09 08:45 PM
by jason1979 Go to last post
1 402
driver verifier by bailey
running vista ,on boot up a blue screen appears the only piece i get a chance of reading before it disappears is "driver verifier" or something about corrupt driver, can anyone please explain. not every time but quite often to make it annoying and having to reboot.
January 17th 09 08:24 PM
by Richard G. Harper [MVP] Go to last post
1 318
when i make a... by toebob
hi. i try to make or open a zipped folder and i also got vista, and my folder that is zipped doesn't work it only opens in a .txt thing. can you please help me!! :-| -- toebob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ toebob's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/toebob.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1104888.htm
January 17th 09 08:23 PM
by Jim[_49_] Go to last post
2 356
DNS not working on my vista laptop. by Seven_Rings
Hey, I am having a problem connecting to the internet with my laptop. If I do the diag feature it will tell me that it can't connect to the DNS server. I am running Vista and am able to ping 72.14.207.99 (Google's IP Adress) and am able to connect to 72.14.207.99 in my browser, but I can't load www.google.com. DNS is going to my router and has been working for months, it just stopped last night...
January 17th 09 08:18 PM
by Gareth Erskine-Jones Go to last post
9 405
No fix for Epson scanner and Vista by Warren DesJardins
We now have a useless scanner (Epson 1200u) thanks to Vista being incompatible with it's software. We have no way to print pictures, thanks to Vista being incompatible with our HP printer/it's graphic software. Thanks to Vista we will now be forced to either purchase new perifs, waste a lot of time moving files from the XP machines in the back office or do without. The last two computers...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
January 17th 09 07:39 PM
by Christopher R. Lee[_2_] Go to last post
38 989
The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. - help! by Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net
Hi I tried to do a system restore but it failed and I got a message saying "There was an unexpected error in the property page: The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. (0x81000202)". Can anyone help me get my system restore back please? -- Martin
January 17th 09 06:01 PM
by Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net Go to last post
1 269
Debug by Peter
I recently posted a question re one of the components of Roxio Creator 2009, Cineplayer. This component displays the splash screen for a short time then closes. The closing message from Microsoft includes a "Debug" button. I have no idea what happens when I accept this option - there is no indication of activity nor any message. Has debug gathered information that might help with a...
January 17th 09 05:35 PM
by Peter Go to last post
2 334
Font size in applications by Mickey[_2_]
The font size in most of my software and in internet pages is to small to read. It is only in the text boxes, example on e-bay the seach box with display in a font size that is to small to read. Another example is Kodak easyshare the font sizes are to small. All other fonts on page are OK. All software claims to be compatible with Vista, How to fix?
January 17th 09 05:33 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
1 275
BSOD vista ultimate x64 by Mick[_4_]
Hello, i've put the finishing touches on a HTPC... with Vista 64. I'm getting a BSOD... after about 5 minutes every time. Doesn't matter what program i'm running, or if it's just doing nothing. I've run Memtest overnight, nothing there. Updated the BIOS and every single driver. Done the reinstall numerous times, put video cards in different slots, swapped the RAM, formatted hard drives,...
January 17th 09 04:57 PM
by Hobo[_2_] Go to last post
2 311
Restore Points by [email protected]
I am no longer able to create a retore point. I can't install any new softwarre because the system tries to create a restore point and it never does anything. I can't even see prior restore points. Is there anything that will fix this problem without reinstalling Vista?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 17th 09 04:49 PM
by Dave-UK[_2_] Go to last post

From The