Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
What is the correct way of cleaning up old Vista backups? by Klas Mellbourn
I have what I would think would be a fairly standard setup: I have Windows Vista machine with an external hard drive that is intended exclusively for backup purposes. I have set up daily backup of files. This has worked well for a couple of months. My C: hard drive on the Vista machine has about 200GB of data currently. The H: backup drive is 1TB. Now, the backup drive is full. The daily...
December 31st 08 01:02 PM
by Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] Go to last post
4 201
Using PC mover by opalocka
A couple of months ago I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Vista. I used PC mover to transfer all data from my Dell Inspiron 5100 running XP to the 1720. Now I believe I have updates and hotfixes from my 5100 on my 1720. Does anyone know if I can delete them? Or will deleting them cause me more problems than I already have. 1. Cannot download or install most updates, some do get through. 2....
December 31st 08 12:09 PM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
4 293
does this make sense? by neurosynthetic
btw I am "plzhelp" I previously posted that my disk space was dropping every few house by a couple GB. no way i downloaded that much. well I use jdiskreport to open a tree of all my usage, now i added up all of the used space by me and its about 26.7 or so. Looking at my free space, its missing like 60 Gb. how is it im only using 26.7 GB, but missing 60?
December 31st 08 06:49 AM
by Airbot Go to last post
8 184
Can't wake computer from sleep! among other things by cbreinertsen
When my computer goes to sleep and I am supposed to be able to push the power button to wake it up, it does nothing. I have tried everything I can think of to wake my computer, but I have NO success. The only way to get it to wake up is to hold the power button down till it turns itself off and then reboot. I also cannot install Windows updates :( When I click the update button it trys to...
December 31st 08 06:21 AM
by ToniDaTyga Go to last post
7 193
Restore does not appear as a selection on f8 boot options by breinicke[_2_]
I have done a few restores already by just plugging in my external HD with the restore points, then press F8. about 30 minutes later, voi la, restored. Now, it does not appear as an option. Is there a limit to the number of restores you can do? Why would it suddenly no longer appear? Using this restore saves me about 8 hours of installing all the software I keep loaded, so I really need this.
December 31st 08 02:57 AM
by breinicke[_2_] Go to last post
0 133
question on limited network speed by Debbie Graham[_3_]
I have my pc on a router so I can access my laptop. Just bought a new network adapter that is supposed to run at 108mbps but Vista only says 54mbps. I have been talking with Netgear and they said Vista has limitations but don't know weather it's just not showing 108 or it is actually only running at 54mbps. I like to know why Vista would do that and how can it be fixed? Did I just waste...
December 31st 08 02:21 AM
by Debbie Graham[_3_] Go to last post
4 204
Windows Mail will not sent e-mails by William E. Brewington
December 31st 08 12:43 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 159
Vista Backup using two external hard drives by Janene Charb
I use two Lacie 250GB USB drives for "double-safe" backup purposes. On my XP machine, a 2004 Dell desktop, I use XP's own NTBackup to create weekly full backups to Lacie 1, usually turned off but still connected to the machine. Once a month or so I copy the most recent XP backup from Lacie 1 to Lacie 2 and store that drive in a basement firebox -- as far "off site" as I can reasonably get. XP...
December 30th 08 04:07 PM
by Janene Charb Go to last post
0 132
Can't update windows vista by byte
Hi, Hope someone can help. I have searched the internet and found several ans. but none have worked. When I try to update Vista Ultimate, the window freezes and goes nowhere. Only way to close it is through Task Manager. I have an HP laptop. I have registered suggested dll's, downloaded and ran progs that did this for me, I have deleted the SoftwareDistribution file and
December 30th 08 12:36 PM
by byte Go to last post
4 183
Windows Update Error 80240016 by Patty[_2_]
I'm running Vista Home Premium. After updating to SP1, I got a message for the cumulative update: Media Center for Windows Vista (KB955519). Every time I try to download it, it fails. Unable to download or install, with error 80240016. I haven't been able to get past this or get any further updates since this problem started. Every time I boot I get the error msg that it's unable to...
December 30th 08 10:21 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
4 205
free disk space slowly decreasing by plzhelp
hello everyone, i am glad to of found this forum. It looks like i will be active here, this has a lot of great things. BTW i am a nooby when it comes to this computer stuff. I have just purchased a computer operating under Windows Vista, it is said to have a 250GB HDD. well now when i go to "computer" it says X(variable) free of 231 GB. im not sure what thats all about. I thought it would say...
December 30th 08 08:10 AM
by plzhelp Go to last post
7 172
Unwanted messages in Vista by Tim Walters
I keep getting asked to reinstall the library of my antivirus programme. Doing so or not makes no difference. I still get the same message, sometimes as frequently as once a minute. Surely the appearance of this message is in some registry somewhere and can be eliminated. Any suggestions, anybody? Thanks.
December 30th 08 12:36 AM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
3 175
Slow browser help--GOOD STUFF!!! by Rebecca[_2_]
As already noted, dump the registry cleaner/booster. I don't know about UniBlue Speedup, but you could stop using it as well temporarily. Reduce the size of the IE cache to 50 megabytes or less, and empty the cache (temporary internet files). You can also run "disk cleanup" to empty other kinds of temp files. Better still is download Ccleaner and use it to remove temp files, including backups...
December 28th 08 11:02 PM
by Rebecca[_2_] Go to last post
0 182
Very Slow Broswer , Help! by spikes210
Hi everyone, for the past few mounths my Inernet Explorer has been preforming very slow lately, somtimes it will just fail to load the page entirely, somtimes it will load the page but not the Ads on the side. I have tried Google Chrome and Firefox just to see if the error contiuned, it was worse in firefox and about the same in Google Chrome. I have googled my probelm but with no Avail I am...
December 27th 08 11:26 PM
by Richard Urban Go to last post
4 184
Can't reboot in normal mode-Plz analyze HJT Log by Makhdoom
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2 Scan saved at 8:53:15 PM, on 12/26/2008 Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674) Boot mode: Safe mode with network support Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
December 27th 08 12:21 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 653
vista internet activity stops by silverfox
Hi I'm running Vista Home Premium (32bit). Recently (don't ask me since when, I don't recall), while using IE7 and/or Firefox, the browser stops working. Windows live Messengers and Yahoo messenger keep working fine. Outlook (2007) also stops. Any ideas please as to what is going on?
December 26th 08 10:42 PM
by Jim Moriarty[_2_] Go to last post
1 156
Memory Diagnostic Tool keeps launching on boot up by delta_J
I have run the diagnotic tool a couple times to see if my memory is running the way it should, and I am aware that after you log back into Windows, the tool reports whether your memory is working properly or not. However, both times that I ran it, the tool's icon appeared in the taskbar beside the little power icon and system clock... no status pop-up, nothing. The thing is that when I try...
December 26th 08 09:05 PM
by jtimouri Go to last post
5 158
APPCRASH - OLE32.DLL fault module by stocktiki
Hoping someone might be able to offer some troubleshooting suggestions. Vista (SP1)'s Problem Reports and Solutions page says that Internet Explorer 7 and Microsoft Money Plus are experiencing Appcrashes - and point to OLE32.DLL as the fault module name. Are there ways to troubleshoot this issue? What causes OLE32.DLL to misbehave? Is it possible the file was corrupted during an update?...
December 25th 08 05:56 PM
by GTS Go to last post
5 231
i can't type in arabic? by nibal
how can i type in two languages English and Arabic? I've recently installed windows vista but i don't know what is the problem with Arabic language? need help please
December 25th 08 03:33 PM
by Rabbit[_3_] Go to last post
2 178
update vista to service pack 1 by Aндрей
After updating Vista to service pack 1 computer either fails starting and after reboot returns back to previous restore-point or returns back to it without applying service pack 1 at all (offering to update it again in windows update center). -- С уважением, Андрей Поляков. 8 963 6248636
December 24th 08 10:29 PM
by TaurArian[_3_] Go to last post

From The