Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can't terminate processes by Kirk
At times I have a process that simply stops. Mainly it's been either Firefox or Outlook 2007. I attempt to terminate the process in Windows Task Manager to no avail. The only way to recover is to go through a reboot which is, needless to say, a pain in the derriere. I just completed building my system which consists of the following: OS: Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build...
January 11th 09 03:44 PM
by No One Go to last post
6 191
memtest.exe by No One
Good day everyone. When I launch the Administrative Tools/Memory Diagnostic Tool in Vista Home Premium the computer reboots, you get the BIOS screen, then what appears to be a DOS error screen that says file \boot\memtest.exe is missing or corrupt. It's NOT at all missing as you can easily see it on the C:\boot directory, and the version appears to be from SP1. How can I run the memtest...
January 11th 09 01:54 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
6 282
Geting terrible performance. System chugs on hard drive a full several minutes after GUI appears by Peter Dickason
Got a new Vista laptop last year which was a terrible mistake. I have not been happy with it at all. My problem is the computer takes a full 10 minutes to complete starting up. I assumed this was because it was short on memory and was paging like nuts. It only came with 1 gig. So I upgraded it to 4 gig but to my surprise, this did not make much of a difference. It still takes several...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 10th 09 03:06 PM
by Peter Dickason Go to last post
17 292
Restarts Cancel Power Options by Flyerpaul
I have a new Desktop with Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition & SP1 installed. If I restart my computer or take it out of Sleep mode, all Screen Saver, Display Shut Down & Sleep Mode power options are canceled. I have to constantly reprogram the personalization and power options each time I restart for updates or come out of Sleep Mode. I have saved every option I entered and even tried saving a...
January 10th 09 01:23 PM
by Flyerpaul Go to last post
0 158
Missing shutdown, restart, hibernate and sleep in start menu by amycoll
Hi all :shock:. This is my problem, when i open start menu and click on white arrow, the options shutdown, restart, hibernate and sleep are missing. Also if i try shutdown my PC using Alt+F4 it will not respond. I can close a program using Alt+F4 but it will now react when i need to shutdown my PC with it, if you know what i mean. I think i have this problem since I installed SP1 . for now i use...
January 10th 09 08:18 AM
by amycoll Go to last post
0 165
Can't exit Power saving mode by Definer
Hi, I've just got myself a brandnew Dell desktop XPS420 with Vista on it. Everything seemed to work fine, but my computer enters Power saving mode at completely random times while im actually on the PC. For example: I'm writing a document then suddenly my screen goes blank and it says "Entering Power saving mode" after which the green Power-light on the monitor changes orange-ish. When I try to...
January 10th 09 02:36 AM
by dinesh Go to last post
2 201
Kernel dumps no-go to non-C pagefiles in Vista? by a.k.a.[_2_]
I'm getting BSODs, but at the moment, I'm not asking for troubleshooting tips with the BSODs, just with the kernel dump files. What I need to know is: Am I running into an undocumented pagefile / kernel debugging constraint in Vista? My pagefile is on the primary HDD, but not on the C partition -- instead it's on a pagefile-only partition (D). The logic was that it wouldn't eat precious...
January 9th 09 09:17 PM
by a.k.a.[_2_] Go to last post
9 197
Can't get Windows Updates by Tres
I keep getting the error message "WindowsUpdate_80070490" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" when I try to get Windows Updates. How have others handled this problem? -- Tres Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
January 9th 09 05:45 PM
by Tres Go to last post
2 206
Moving from folder to folder slow by jd31068
Hello All I've been reading a bunch of posts here about this problem. It takes a few seconds to move from one folder to another when I am logged in as myself. However, if I login as Admin, the movement from folder to folder is instant, no pause at all. This was an inplace upgrade from XP Professional SP3. My system:
January 9th 09 01:39 PM
by jd31068 Go to last post
7 144
Vista Ultimate 64 bits and Bluescreen (Netio.sys) by CWhite
Hi, After installing McAfee Total Protection 2009 and every time I start my computer I am getting a bluescreen. McAfee support denies that is their software. Any help will be very much appreciated, this is the dump information: ******************************************************************************* * *
January 9th 09 10:42 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 175
Windows Vista and Windows 7 by BogdanF
Hi, I have installed on my machine ( as OS ) MS Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1 ( Drive E: ). I want to install on my machine MS Windows 7 Beta ( January build ) but in another Drive ( D: ). After I finish the installation process, I want to install all the required drivers ( the same drivers - what I have installed for Vista ) and maybe some software programs ( as Live...
January 9th 09 02:10 AM
by peter Go to last post
6 145
Extend C:Drive by MXC
I run out C: drive space and have a lot of space in D:drive. I offen get warnning: C:Volumn is low I tried Shrink D:Volumn and extend C:Volumn To Shrink D:Volumn is OK but the free space cannot be used to increase the C: drive space. Help needed
January 8th 09 07:31 PM
by Dave[_29_] Go to last post
1 175
Thumbnails missing by antonio
Hi, I having this problem with thumbnails in vista not showing up for some time now. I have basically read all the threads I could and still found no solution. I believe this all started when I first installed CCleaner which probably erased my thumbnail cache but, on the other hand, when I open a folder with some images, they thumbnails show up for, say, a second and then quickly regenerate to...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 8th 09 06:20 PM
by benzzy Go to last post
11 242
An Error is Preventing this Slide Show from Playing by Boblink
Hi, I have a minor little problem taht I would appreciate help with. I setup the Screen Saver to display My Photos (i.e. I used browse to re-directed it to photos that I would like to display when the system "goes to sleep" and that WERE displayed with when I had WindowsXp). When I click Preview, the photos appear but when the system "goes to sleep", I get an error message advising "an error...
January 8th 09 06:07 PM
by ScarletSpider Go to last post
1 175
Boot Up Error by Lisa Juszkiewicz
Every time I boot up my computer with Windows Vista operating system I get the following error: visual C Command Line Compiler stopped working It allows me to work on the computer by the error message is puzzling. Any ideas?
January 8th 09 12:17 PM
by Lisa Juszkiewicz Go to last post
2 166
Cursor errors. by AsukaSaruwatati
I've had this problem since I got my new Toshiba Qosmio laptop. I will be in the middle of typing something, and if my cursor is somewhere else in the text, it will quickly make me start typing there. 'Causing me to type the end of a sentence in the middle of a completely different one. I've read about how the cursor jumps around and how it could possibly be because I'm softly touching the...
January 8th 09 08:32 AM
by Steve Thackery[_2_] Go to last post
1 118
Repairing Vista by Wiley C
am familiar with the repair option, ' startup repair", from the Vista DVD, or from the OEM. http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5c59f8c1-b0d1-4f1a-af55-74f3922f3f351033.mspx In XP, if a PC developed an error and the fix was to try a repair installation, if the XP PC had been upgraded from, for example, SP0 to SP1 and the user tried the repair using the XP SP1 installation CD ...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 8th 09 04:50 AM
by Wiley C Go to last post
14 262
Vista 64 bit ultimate unable to recognize 6gb ram? by strife03
I apologize if this is posted somewhere else, I looked around for a bit but couldn't find the answer to my question. I figured it'd be best to just post it before my break is over. So anyway... I recently spent a metric but ton (technical term there =P) on a new computer. Bought an I7 processor, 6gb ddr3 ram, and 2 xfire vid cards. I spent the better part of last night installing all the parts...
January 7th 09 09:05 PM
by Ian D Go to last post
4 161
"sfc /scannow" by [email protected]
Hi there! I hope you can help me a little. I'm using Vista Ultimate. You can suppose that if I'm writing here it's because I'm finding some problems (and I'm unable to solve them by myself). I'm quite sure that I don't have malware on my computer. It's usually not connected to internet. I think I have some kind of system files & registry corruption.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 7th 09 08:06 PM
by flipynifty Go to last post
19 313
Recovery Options for Vista SP1 by tempting2taanzaa
Hi: I was lurking and read something that confused me a bit and I wanted to make sure I understood this correctly. If I wanted to use a factory generated recovery disc to put it back to factory condition, can this still be done if I have SP1? I ask this question in response to something I read from a post labeled "Repair Vista." See post below: Thank you. My intent, Mr Barnett, was not...
January 7th 09 05:52 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post

From The