Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Desktop Corrupted Error on Startup by WAMozart
When I boot up my PC and Vista opens, I get an error pop-up message saying the desktop file is corrupt and will not load. I can see my desktop background picture but none of the program icons (Recycle Bin, Favorites, desktop shortcuts) show up. When I use Windows Explorer to look at the desktop folder under my user profile, I get an error saying "The folder is corrupt or not readable" and...
June 22nd 08 08:48 PM
by WAMozart Go to last post
0 357
Cannot turn on UAC?? by RealRedHair
When I try to turn UAC on nothing happens! What to do? It only flashes slightly and then nothing. In front of the command is the shield. I also cannot acces or execute many files. " Windows cannot access the specified device .. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access" But I'm admin so who should have? Thanks for any ideas!
June 22nd 08 08:01 PM
by RealRedHair Go to last post
0 341
Guess account error in Media Center! HELP! by [email protected]
I love using Windows Media Center... or else... I loved using it, before it stopped working a few weeks after I installed Vista. And now I am tired of putting up with it. Other then the embedded administrator account, (which I have enabled since then and opens media center just fine), there is only one other account on my PC (my account) which is in the admin group. It is not a guest...
June 22nd 08 07:27 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 319
user profile by pajaroloko
I´m a newcomer,and i suppose,a trivial question how can I save the user profile in windows vista?
June 22nd 08 11:00 AM
by pajaroloko Go to last post
0 302
installing programs for only 1 user by rosemary4754
I have several users on my computer (vista premium). How can I install a program so that it is only useable and viewable by my user account? thanks!
June 22nd 08 10:18 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post
1 344
AHA!! FIXED IT! by cmcn
Went to the program files, found WINWORD, right clicked and lo and behold, there was my elusive option. I did in fact run as admin and it worked!
June 21st 08 09:03 PM
by cmcn Go to last post
0 370
Registration name change by Akalinda
-This is my first new computer, and the person who set it up used an unacceptable name which is going out on all my Outlook emails, how do I change?- Thanks, akalinda
June 21st 08 06:51 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
1 294
Registering Music Creator 4 by BZ08
I recently purchased Music Creator 4 from Cakewalk. When I try to register the program I'm told that I'm lnot ogged in as the Adminstrator and thus can continue with the registeration. I've verified that I'm logged correctly but can't seem to find the issue. Appreciate any help.
June 21st 08 05:38 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
1 393
Decrypt files by rizzy
Hello, I am desperately hoping someone can help me! I had XP Pro and, because there were multiple admin accounts, I encrypted my files by right clicking them properties advanced ecnrypt contents to secure data. Anyway, I backed them up before installing Vista but didn't decrypt them. Now, I cannot get them to open in Windows Vista Ultimate. I have checked that I am the owner and I have...
June 21st 08 04:23 PM
by HELP! HOW CAN I DECRYPT VISTA HOME FILES Go to last post
3 350
Parental Controls blocking more than they're supposed to by catachrest
I set up my parental controls to block only porn, but now as I surf around trying to test it out I find that a lot of sites I didn't want to block are being blocked (eg. sites about internet filters and media websites). Is there any way to make the filter actually ONLY filter those categories I actually want? I can't keep entering an admin password every five minutes. Also, is there any way...
June 21st 08 03:15 PM
by catachrest Go to last post
0 270
ntuser.dat file deleted. How can I repair the user profile? by Cristi
Hi all, I can login only with temporary user profile. I discover that the reason is: the ntuser files from the user account were deleted. There is any chance (changing the registry, etc.) to do the system to reconstruct these files - of course without loosing the user profile settings? Any other solution to restore the user profile? I notice that the status for this user profile is 'backup',...
June 21st 08 02:48 PM
by Cristi Go to last post
0 297
Windows Remote Assistance by willie371
How do i get this to work, i have gave all the rights and exceptions but i still can't get anyone to remotely enter my pc. i have tried everything including removing my switched and directly connecting to the pc from the modem. any help appreciated
June 21st 08 01:24 PM
by willie371 Go to last post
2 300
Administrator Rights by suzi_wells
Whenever I try to install or delete any files or programs, I get a windows popup saying 'The System Administrator Has Set Policies To Prevent This Installation'. I cannot seem to find any way to change the administrator settings, and is now starting to get very irritating that I cant even download simple things like msn messenger or flashplayer as this message appears. Does anyone know how...
June 21st 08 10:27 AM
by suzi_wells Go to last post
0 265
Administrator; UAC; Black Screen by RichNida
When I turn on the UAC and reboot I cannot access the Administrator Desktop after login. When I use my User Account (no password) I go to the UAC after logging in the password and change UAC to No, reboot, I can then access the Administrator Desktop. How can I fix this so I can keep the UAC on and access the Admin Desktop? It was find before until I went into Computer Management System...
June 21st 08 04:07 AM
by RichNida Go to last post
0 262
Logged in as Administrator, but lacking rights, apparently by Jack Frost
Some programs (e.g., Spybot) tell me that I need to log in as an Adminstrator to run them. But I'm already logged in as an Adminstrator. What gives? Here's the error message from Spybot: "You are missing administrator rights to perform this action. If you need to do this, please run this application elevated as an administrator." Only recently have I started having this problem--within...
June 21st 08 02:32 AM
by Jack Frost Go to last post
0 289
Guest Account in Vista wont load - Blue Screen by Mehdi B
My Guest Account won't load. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium. I have two user accounts set up, my Administrator account and a Guest account. The Administrator account works just fine, but every time I try to load the Guest account, it takes me to a blank, blue screen. I tried waiting for two whole hours, and when I came back it was still blank. I can open the Task Manager on this blank...
June 20th 08 10:59 PM
by colt45[_2_] Go to last post
3 313
sensitive touch pad by paf
I have looked for a sensitivety adjustment but unable to find it under mouse. -- pat
June 20th 08 10:21 PM
by paf Go to last post
0 265
Want to impose parental controls on administrator by catachrest
Hello everyone, I know this is something of an odd request. I am looking for a way (or a program that will do it) to impose the same kind of restrictions you get under parental controls, but to an administrator account. See, I am an adult and the primary user/owner of the computer, but I want to be able to use the parental controls to block *myself* from certain content (mostly so that I don’t...
June 20th 08 08:31 PM
by catachrest Go to last post
0 287
touch pad too sensitve by paf
My Acer laptop touch pad is so sensitive that if you just rest your finger on it it will activate whatever the curser is on -- pat
June 20th 08 03:02 PM
by t-4-2[_98_] Go to last post
2 284
Administrater setting by spiky
Some programs do not recognise me as the administrator when I try to download or update them eg Adobe photosuite
June 20th 08 08:27 AM
by Tony Hegarty blt Go to last post

From The