Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Cannot view file date created by Bill Burton
I need to select certain photos by the date they were created. In XP it was easy enough, I sorted by date and selected the appropriate date. How can I do the equivalent in Vista?
February 18th 08 08:15 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
2 301
How to prevent indexing a shared calendar by VictorD
I notice with my Vista laptop that if I connect to a colleague's calendar to view it, it will then be indexed as part of my desktop search. This has strange outcomes because when I search a topic, I get results from the person's calendar which is added to my results. Is this by design and is there any way to tell it not to index a particular calendar? -- ~Vic
February 18th 08 05:41 PM
by VictorD Go to last post
0 273
shadow copies were aborted because of an IO failure - advices? by Erhard Glueck
Please an advice! In the last days 4 times I got the event The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:. I run chkdsk on system start and inserted the log in German language from my bilingual Vista Ultimate Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
February 18th 08 02:02 PM
by Erhard Glueck Go to last post
3 254
Hard Drive Directory Tree by ND Dad
Is there any software that will make a complete directory of a hard drive including File memory size for all files including system and hidden files? or The Command Prompt DIR string that will yeald all files, hidden and system, including those that may not be fully Vista compatabile? I have tried DIR /a/s but still get DIR . or DIR .. for example and connot peal that onion back any...
February 18th 08 01:47 PM
by ND Dad Go to last post
3 329
Deleted Recycling bin by Philip Estrada
Somehow, The recylcing bin on the desktop was deleted. I'm not sure how to restore it, and can only make shortcuts of it on the desktop. I can't empty it if it is a shortcut. How can I put the recycling bin back on the desktop so that it is not a shortcut?
February 18th 08 01:31 AM
by Dustin Harper Go to last post
2 277
recent search folders by jfujimoto
Are the files in my recent search folders taking up space on my hard drive? or are they the original file or just short cuts?
February 17th 08 09:33 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 268
Explorer look by Techrookie
When I start Explorer it shows various sub-folders for some folders but not for all them though, i.e. all the folders under "Microsoft" for example, and I cannot figure out how to change that so that it only shows the folders under "Local Disk (C:). I have tried just about everything but to no avail. When I first open Explorer it always highlights "Start Menu" with its sub-folders. I have...
February 17th 08 01:14 AM
by Techrookie Go to last post
6 294
Viewing Hidden files and folders by PAS
I am unable to view Hidden Files and Folders, From Control panel I have set the flag to show hidden files and folders, click apply and OK but when I go to the folder where there should be another folder with my files in it there is nothing, If I copy this folder to my USB hard drive and then look at it with another computer it shows the folder and files. Why can I not view them in Windows...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
February 17th 08 12:03 AM
by Bob F.[_3_] Go to last post
35 1,455
Why are folders containing users' files called Documents? by Edward
I have a folder (G:\UsersFiles) with all the user's home directories (for example called G:\UsersFiles\edward) with their files, but Windows Vista and Server 2008 are not displaying the folders as the usernames, but is virtually renaming them to "Documents". I don't want all these folders called "Documents", I want their real folder names to be display instead. How do I fix this?
February 16th 08 11:23 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
2 302
Relocating Public folders by Greg Edwards
Is there any way to move the Public folders in Vista? I'm familiar with how to move a user's folder (Properties Location, etc.), but the Public folders don't seem as easy to move. I have a physicially separate drive (Z:), and I'd like to point the Public folders there. Thanks! -- - Greg http://gregsedwards.spaces.live.com
February 16th 08 09:42 PM
by Greg Edwards Go to last post
6 328
recent searches folder by jfujimoto
Why can't I delete files and folders in the Recent Searches folders, and are they taking up space on my hard drive?
February 16th 08 09:23 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 259
Cannot open .paf file in Vista Home Premium by Florence Jensen
I have received two .paf files by e-mail. I wasn't able to open them, so downloaded the free PAF genealogy program, but still can't see how to open these files. Any sugggestions? -- Florence Jensen Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
February 16th 08 08:37 PM
by Ray[_6_] Go to last post
3 248
HELP! downloaded music went to temporary files!!! by kittypawz11
I just downloaded some songs and I hit "open" instead of save each time. Now they are all in my temp Internet files. How do I get them to my music files? I tried dragging but its in the worng format and my media player won't play them. I just paid $15 for all these songs and would like to know how to retrieve them! Thanks. :)
February 16th 08 07:57 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
4 291
Change default action for my drive by Michelle[_4_]
I recently bought a back up drive, but its default action - when I double click it - isn't 'open'. How can I change this? also, how do I change what comes up in the right-click menu for it? Thanks... M
February 16th 08 02:07 PM
by Dave[_15_] Go to last post
4 295
Help with "My Pictures" by Deamon1
Hi All, I have made an extreme rookie mistake and hope not to live to regret it. I have installed Vista over XP Pro yesterday and completely (having backed up everything else...) forgot to back up my pictures folder. Now as you can imagine there are REALLy important pictures in there (especially from my recent wedding) that were not previously backed up (last backup was unfortunatly about 6...
February 16th 08 11:40 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 280
Feedback: Renaming file types by Penicillin
Hello I want to submit a feedback about Windows Vista. When I change a file type, then click mouse (left button) on anywhere, it will ask me if I'm sure to change it. After choosing "Yes" by mouse, selection square shows even if mouse click isn't pressed down. Look at this SWF: http://www.expenglish.com/vista.swf.html
February 16th 08 11:18 AM
by Penicillin Go to last post
0 251
Explorer TreeView Lines Appearing by cowboy219
Hi, I have somewhat of an annoying UI problem with Explorer. For some reason, the TreeView in explorer is adding lines illustrated below: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2732&stc=1&d=1202902097] Is there any way to get rid of the lines?
February 16th 08 09:20 AM
by Brink Go to last post
4 274
"Search results may be incomplete .... items still being indexed" by Wendell Ying
This may have been covered in a another post somewhere but could not (easily) find anything relevant. I am running Outlook 2007 on Vista Enterprise; the index is completely rebuilt but I still get this message in the Outlook Search results box when searching my inbox. Strangely enough this was working for some time now but started to see this error over the past few days. Clues? -- Wendell...
February 15th 08 08:52 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 229
Access is denied by Mark
Hi I have had a problem with the motherboard with my laptop. I was running Vista Home Premium. I have removed the hard drive and plugged it into an external drive. I am now unable to access specifically my data on the drive (It is plugged into an system running XP), although the system files are all clearly there judging from how much of the drive is used. When I click on the folder 'mark'...
February 15th 08 06:35 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 245
Explore replacement? by Wannabe Cowboy
Does anyone know of a good Freeware Program for file management that would replace Windows Explore? -- This Email is From: DOUG YARNOLD SASS #63314
February 15th 08 06:20 PM
by Donald Lessau Go to last post

From The