Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
BUG: Images or Sound folder: Default operation changed from "open" to other by Jens Müller[_2_]
Hello, I need a context menu entry in every folder and file, so I added one into the registry path HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFileSystemObjects\Shell\test with default value=test and key Command=c:\text.exe %1 (both REG_SZ types). Ths works for all normal files and folders, but if I create a new folder on the desktop and copy only image files into it, vista recognizes it as image folder, and...
March 11th 08 04:28 PM
by Jens Müller[_2_] Go to last post
1 301
Folder "programs" in Start Menu - problem by jpezo
My System: Windows Vista Home Premium Checking "All Programs" in the Start Menu I found a folder called "programs" which was empty, so I deleted it, but after that it was still there, so I repeated deleting it unsuccessfully a couple of times, then I gave up... Restarting Windows, I realized "All Programs" was empty and all my folders and shortcuts were not there!!! It's really annoying!!! I...
March 11th 08 02:28 AM
by jpezo Go to last post
0 314
Vista Works Spreadsheet search by jhk
I have Vista Home Premium and use forty plus Works 8.5 spreadsheets. All spreadsheets are saved in a folder located on the local C drive. I am unable to perform a search of the spreadsheet contents from an Explore window. Using the same technique I can successfully search the contents of Adobe documents. If I open the spreadsheets and use Works search I can find the string that fails from an...
March 10th 08 11:39 PM
by jhk Go to last post
0 266
Windows Explorer: Set Initial Focus to TreeView - how? by Axel Dahmen
Hi, is it possible to configure Windows Explorer to start up having the focus set to the TreeView control on the left? And is it further possible to be able to navigate through this TreeView like with the other Windows versions, i.e. the list view tracks the currently selected TreeView node? Is it alternatively possible to have Windows Explorer give focus to the
March 10th 08 09:17 PM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
1 275
Undeletable folders by carnelain
Hi all, I have a folder in my program files folder called MSN. I did not install this program. In this folder there is an .exe file to install MSN messenger. I don't want to use this program so I tried to delete the folder. Vista asked me for admin rights (which I have). But it won't delete the folder nor the file. It gives me an error telling me I don't have the rights to delete these...
March 10th 08 12:57 PM
by carls Go to last post
5 237
error message by david jch
My OS is vista home premium. I got an error message after system restore was finished and re-started. Message as follow : " Error Loading c:\Progra~1\MyWeb~1\bar\2.bin\F3Scrctr.Dll This specified module could not be found " ( end of message ) I'd like to know 1) what is that file for. 2) Do I have to have it. 3) If yes, how can I get it. I must have removed it unknowingly. -- djch
March 10th 08 07:24 AM
by jihchiang Go to last post
1 299
Favorite Links problem by Bob Johnston
Suddenly my Favorite Links folder is showing (empty) and I cannot drag anythink to it. When I try to drag I get a red "no entry" icon
March 10th 08 03:13 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP[_2_] Go to last post
4 418
Proposals in the run menu and explorer's addressbar by BerndK
Hi! When you opened the run... Dialog in Win XP and started typing 'c:\w' Windows automatically proposed you all folders and files under 'c:\' starting with 'w'. The same was possible in explorer's address bar. This option seems to be gone in Win Vista. Is there a way to get this back? This was a really efficient way to find and open or run files or folders. I really miss this...
March 9th 08 11:49 PM
by BerndK Go to last post
5 305
recycle bin by david jch
I had lost my recycle bin several times, and each time I got it back by right click, personalize,change icon etc.etc. This time somethig strange happened. the bin that I got back will NOT show stuff inside after I deleted a file.It's a perpetual Empty Bin. What happened ? -- djch
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 9th 08 06:43 PM
by david jch Go to last post
10 458
Icons in 'My Computer' by Gordon Martin
Could anyone help me recover the normal disk icons in 'My Computer'? Whenever I select 'tiles' or 'medium icons' those icons that represent my E:, K:, DVD RW and DVD Drive (virtual) all change to some standard generic icon. The installation of Vista is only about a week old... Only stuff added are the latest visiontek ati graphics drivers, daemon tools, some av software and a couple of other...
March 9th 08 04:22 PM
by Brink Go to last post
1 306
Why we don't use IE/telnet to connect to bbs server?? by Daniel Chen[_3_]
Dear all, I am using the Windows Vista, But I recover a problem for connecting to BBS/FTP server, why vista can't functionned it. How can I do for this?
March 9th 08 09:52 AM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
1 275
Can anyone make it all stop? by Again ... simplicity?
I can't tell you how close to tears I come with Vista. I have a vast number of PDF and Word documents that I must constantly use - rearrange - organize - categorize... If I am using the "Details" view - I can't look at the titles of the files the way I WANT TO ... I must either see EVERYTHING as "Size column to fit" or worse, "Szie all columns to fit." If I am using the "List" view and...
March 9th 08 04:29 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
7 320
Favorites Folder in Windows Explorer by ryan
Hello I'm using Windows Vista. I use Firefox to browse the web instead of IE, so I don't need to see the Favorites folder displayed in my user folder in Windows Explorer (or whatever it's called in Vista - i'm talking about explorer.exe), the one whose icon is a yellow star popping out of a green folder. I've tried deleting it but Vista just regenerates it each time I restart. I've tried...
March 9th 08 04:03 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
1 266
recycle bin by david jch
Tried that MANY times before I posted the question. -- djch
March 9th 08 12:28 AM
by david jch Go to last post
0 277
What Happened to m.p.w.v.general? by Morton
Hi, I'm having a problem with the above newsgroup only. I have no new posts since 2-19-08, and when I send a post to that group, I can't tell if it got there or not. I tried unsubscribing , then subscribing again, but it did not help. All my many other newsgroups are OK. I'm running Vista Home Premium, SeaMonkey 1.1.8, and cable broadband. My antivirus program is Norton 360. Any help will...
March 8th 08 09:42 PM
by Morton Go to last post
3 295
Double clicking. by Tristan
When I double click on my files in Windows Explorer the files won't open. I have to quad drupel or mass click for them to open. What could be the cause of this non responsive explorer. This is also can happen on the internet and on numerous apps.
March 8th 08 05:25 PM
by Dwarf Go to last post
8 396
Folder to show file size by default also for multimedia files? by Matias
How can I make folders show file size (in the details view) by default also for audio and video listings. As it is now, it only shows name, artist, album, genre etc (frankly, pretty un-interesting information for me almost all of the time). My sincerest thanks! Mat
March 8th 08 04:04 PM
by Jon Riley Go to last post
3 292
Error 80070002 trying to update Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN by MAT
Vista update recently made errror 80070002 trying to update Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN. The Microsoft Update is dated January 26. Have tried to remove the temporary update files emptying C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and download, deactivated Windows Update, uninstalled the drivers using http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-025395.htm, used recovery manager,...
March 8th 08 10:56 AM
by MAT Go to last post
2 322
Restore zip file program by Larry
I changed the program that opens my zip files, and want to change it back so it works as zip files. What program do I tell it to "open with", and how do I find it?
March 8th 08 05:53 AM
by Brink Go to last post
6 302
Search doesn't scan pdf files by kurgan
The built in search version for Vista (I have Vista Business 64 bit) doesn't search pdfs. I have Acrobat version 8.1.2. I read about a problem on this but the solution was to update. Any ideas? -- kurgan
March 7th 08 05:37 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post

From The