Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
How do you change the file order in a list by drumz
If I view the desktop in Windows Explorer it shows shortcuts first. I have named folders with a leading underscore to keep them at the top of the list but the shortcuts are first. How do I change that? Thanks!
February 15th 08 07:55 AM
by Brink Go to last post
1 284
How do I have shortcut folders sort alphabetically? by robotdg
How do I have shortcut folders sort alphabetically along with normal folders in a directory? Right now, the normal sort by name sorts folders first and then shortcuts after... but I need them to all sort together... any ideas?
February 15th 08 02:22 AM
by Keith Miller \(MVP\) Go to last post
1 281
Directory Not Indexing by Richard Turnock
Whenever I search in my documents director C:/Users/username I get the message "... slow in non indexed locations". This happens no matter how many times I try to add the directory. I checked the indexing and the directory is not in the "excluded" list. It does seem not to be indexed because only search terms in the file names show up. I did a "dir /AI" and "JUNCTION Documents and...
February 15th 08 12:00 AM
by Richard Turnock Go to last post
0 308
Search nag in Win Explorer w/ non-indexed areas by Joel A
In Win Explorer every time I try a search for something in a non-indexed partition I get a nag drop-down at the top of the folder/file area. Something along the lines of: "Searches may be slow in non-indexed areas. Click here to add index." ....with an X to close at the far right. If I wanted an index here I'd put one here. How do I stop this nag/warning drop-down?
February 14th 08 11:52 PM
by Joel A Go to last post
2 241
Windows Search and Network Attached Storage by Mugunth Kumar[_2_]
Does Windows Search indexes data on NAS devices? I have Windows Vista Business. I'm planning to get a Apple's Time Capsule as Windows Home Server is expensive and I'm not interested in those additional features. But before that I would like to know whether Vista's search indexes items on remote drives. Thanks, Mugunth
February 14th 08 05:57 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
1 288
Keeping open window sizes by StStansMike
When I open a folder that contains a large number of files they are off the "viewable" window area. I end up having to use the handles to resize the window so I can see all my files. When I close the window and reopen it, it has reverted back to the small size and I have to resize it again. This doesn't happen on my XP machine a home. Is there a way to make the resized window remain the...
February 14th 08 03:54 AM
by Brink Go to last post
4 290
Who keep metadata from XP ? by Max[_4_]
Hi people, In Windows XP we can create metadata for all type of file (right click on a file then properties\summary) but when you transfer a file from XP to Vista all those metadata are been deleted ! so how can we keep it ? (and edit them under vista) Thx a lot
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 13th 08 10:22 PM
by Gary Mount Go to last post
10 527
Tried working with permissions, messed up, need help!!! by mbsales11701
Hello Everyone, I was working on my friends computer, which she just bought, and it came with a partitioned hard drive C: with vista home premium on it, the partition was 10gb, and then a D: which was 290gb. As background, this is a brand new machine, and we bought it after she fried her last one with virus after virus. So of course, as soon as i left, she downloaded all these programs to the...
February 13th 08 02:47 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 352
Search returns a list of deleted files by Elaine Kotzur
When I perform a search for a text string in a directory (and all it's files and sub-directories), it returns a list of files that were deleted fom the C: drive weeks ago. Not only that the sub-directory that the files were in was also deleted weeks ago. Any ideas on how to get around this? I have wasted hours on this.
February 13th 08 02:15 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
1 254
copy file errors by Marc
I have an HP Media Center desktop system with 500GB hard drive. I also have several usb hard drives. Since my old system died (running xp pro) and I connected my usb drives to this new system, using Vista Ultimate, I have been noticing that digital photographs that I transfer from SD cards, etc. to the USB drives randomly get trashed so that I lose part of the image. It seems random but...
February 13th 08 01:53 PM
by Marc Go to last post
0 257
READ AND WRITE FOLDER FOR EVERYBODY by davide77
Hi, I'm building a VB application with installer. Well I want that after the administrator installation it creates a files and folders and if I run that application logged as user I dont want that vista copies my files to VirtualStore folder...I want the same path where all the users can write. I just used the path c:\ProgramData\MySoftware\... but it doesnt work...VISTA creates another folder...
February 13th 08 01:42 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
5 338
Unable to remove read-only attribute from files and folders by btvarner[_2_]
All, I am follow this thread because I have my own issues. However the answers here have totally confused me. I have Vista 64 bit. I copied a folder over from my old XP Pro machine. Now all of a sudden that folder is read only when other PC's in my workgroup try to connect to it. I need to be albe to allow other computers to Add, change, delete these files. Everytime if open the properties on...
February 13th 08 12:32 AM
by btvarner[_4_] Go to last post
4 335
Offline Files strange affiliation with Office 2003 by daggmano
Yes, it's another Offline Files problem. (Just as well Microsoft made it so seamless and easy). I have just started using Offline Files to sync my Vista Business laptop to a Win2k3 server on our company LAN (domain). While everything appears to work (no sync errors), when I go offline the only files available are Office 2003 documents (*.doc, *.xls, etc). Other files such as *.docx, *.xlsx,...
February 12th 08 11:46 PM
by daggmano[_2_] Go to last post
1 282
backup by Truman
using external harddrive, VISTA piles backup data on top of backup files from other XP computer backups on the external drive. Will not let me create a file or folder for the VISTA backup, only allows designation of drive. How to chose separate file for VISTA backup on this computer? XP lets you crdeate a file and name it on the drive prior to backup.
February 12th 08 09:48 PM
by Truman Go to last post
0 256
Strange and frustrating issue with offline files by desser
Hi there, I am reliant on Offline Files. Our server crashed and was rebuilt with the same name, but I had to get a new profile established. Offline Files has always worked beautifully for me until my new profile was established. I do have the option “Always Available Offline”, but I can’t actually select this option. I click to check it, and nothing happens. I right click again, and it’s not...
February 12th 08 08:20 PM
by desser Go to last post
0 235
Picture Icons by TriforceOtaku
I have a problem with viewing my pictures. All of my picture icons were changed to standard-generic icons when I had my computer restored to the factory direct setting. Now they don't display anything except a flower, house, ect. My question is: How do I change the picture icon setting back so I can see a tiny preview thingy for each icon, instead of having to click on each one to...
February 12th 08 06:49 PM
by SUESUE Go to last post
4 324
single instance storage by TheClassic
Vista and newer versions of NTFS apparently have single instance storage functionality. I've done repeated searches and have not found any useful information about how or if it actually works in Vista. I would like to use single instance storage to reduce the amount of disk space I use by having different branches of the same source code on my machine at the same time. In other words, I might...
February 12th 08 05:26 PM
by TheClassic Go to last post
0 262
Refresh in Vista Explorer by Peter Lange
Hi I have a problem with refreshing using offline folders in Windows Vista Business. When I am opening a Word document a temporary file like ~doument.docx is created automatically. But when I close the document this file remains until I hit the F5 key. I know, this is not really a big problem, but I have a client which demands to resolve this!
February 12th 08 12:06 PM
by Peter Lange Go to last post
0 248
two of the same music file delete one the other won't work by spinmuzik
i have two of the same music file i delete one (dosen't matter which) the other dosen't work. Is there a way to purge or combine them or delete one. please help
February 12th 08 12:54 AM
by spinmuzik Go to last post
0 261
Automatic opening folders to show contents by Kees
I would like to step through my folders using the cursor key and have Explorer autamatically display the content of the folder instead of having to hit "enter" or click on the folder. Who can help ? Cheers Kees
February 11th 08 07:54 PM
by Kees Go to last post

From The