Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Default Folder View -- Setting by Vince114
WHat do I do to have all my new folders have a List view rather than having to change it each time a create a folder of open a folder for the first time?
December 29th 07 06:37 PM
by Vince114 Go to last post
0 200
Accidently Lost word file by JOHNEP
I was stupid enough to open a word document and delete the original content and then I wrote something else instead and accidently hit the save button. The document was of course saved with the old file's title. Now I have lost the copy of the old file and I wonder if anybody could explain me how I can retrieve the old version of the file? -- Kicking
December 29th 07 05:53 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
3 182
Folder renaming retrieves old file with same name by jwb
I use Vista Business on a Sony vgn-c150p. If I have a folder named "FolderOne", copy it to a folder named "Copy", and then modify files in "FolderOne", then delete "FolderOne" (because I screwed the project up and want to revert back to the previous state), then rename "Copy" to "FolderOne", "FolderOne" contains the modified files, not the files that were in "Copy". What's up with this?
December 29th 07 03:55 PM
by jwb Go to last post
0 194
Recycle Bin and Network Folders by Colin
I notice that if I select a network location for a system folder (Favorites, Documents, Pictures, etc.) it adds those to the Recycle Bin list of protected folders. This is great! Is there a way to manually add other network folders to be protected by the Recycle Bin? I saw back in Vista RC 1, there was a Network tab in the Recycle Bin and you could any folder you wanted. Greg Shulz wrote...
December 29th 07 12:45 PM
by Colin Go to last post
0 215
Make Vista look like XP with +- nav.. by Ferlev
Hi All, Looks like the place to ask. I simply don’t like the triangle thing to expand folders in Vista file explorer. Is there some way to get + and - back? :cry: Also the fading in and out of the triangles is quite annoying.. How do you disable this..? Regards,
December 29th 07 07:24 AM
by Ferlev[_2_] Go to last post
2 248
Document shortcut list by willow
I've recently noticed that files i'm working on are suddenly not being saved to list of recent document shorcut in start menu. in particular files in excel so far Previously i was working with files from old computer (XP)in older version of office. now have vista and latest office software.It has been working for several months. Is it due to recent updates to vista? or something else is there...
December 29th 07 06:23 AM
by willow Go to last post
0 176
Protect wma files from iTunes by Kev.T
I have a massive wma and mp3 library on my computer and I just bought my wife an iTouch. I've witnessed her dragging my music files into her iTunes library and I'm not sure if that's removing my music directly from my folders and replacing them with aac files. Is it safe to simply drag wma files from my folder into iTunes? I'm not worried about duplication since I have a large harddrive. I...
December 29th 07 04:54 AM
by Kev.T Go to last post
0 171
7 versions of Internet explorer in WinSXS by Gshell
I understand the purpose of WinSXS and it's intended solution for DLL. And finding multiple instances of a given DLL there does not surprise me. What did surprise me however, was finding seven different versions of the iexplore.exe Why would there EVER be a need for 7 different versions of this particular EXE or for that matter ANY EXE file? Anyone have any insight as to what Vista is now...
December 29th 07 04:15 AM
by dmex[_47_] Go to last post
5 349
Icon lost their names by Martin Racette
Hi, I have a few folder that all I have is the icons and no name underneath, and since all icons are the same those folder are pretty much useless How can I get the name back -- Thank You in Advance Merci a l'avance
December 29th 07 03:49 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
1 174
Lost files on DVD by MikeL
I copied about 200 pictures from a camera memory stick to a DVD-R using Vista on my son's computer. I then took the disk home to my Vista Ultimate pc and tried to copy the pictures from the DVD to my HD but I could not display the pictures. Windows Explorer displays no files on the DVD but it does show about 650Mb of used space on the DVD. Anyone know how I can retrieve these pictures? --...
December 29th 07 03:25 AM
by MikeL Go to last post
0 152
opening extracted files by Nadine
I downloaded a self extracting file off the internet, but when I unzip the files nothing happens. Is there something else I'm supposed to do? A window pops saying that the files were successfully extracted but nothing else happens. The files do not open. The default location the files were downloaded is my desktop. I need help please.
December 28th 07 10:22 PM
by lukecal Go to last post
5 165
Notepad and Lost File by BSS
Recently I was typing and the file "shut" down, the screen went gray and I lost the entire file. I was editing an already started file on my flash disk thus it was was not on the computer hard drive. When asked to recover it receovered in Notepad, but only a small fraction of the actual content opened up and the rest was question marks, numbers and other jibberish. Is there a way to recover...
December 28th 07 08:27 PM
by Wandering[_2_] Go to last post
2 153
Missing results in Vista Search by [email protected]
Hi, using Vista Search I've stumbled across the following trouble. I've indexed the folder C:\CVSRooot, which holds a lot of source code files under version control with CVS. If I select C:\CVSRoot and I search for some word, I see no results, but: 1. window lower left corner display "3 items" (or something like that) meaning the search actually found 3 items, none of which are
December 28th 07 07:13 PM
by Dave Go to last post
2 207
Windows Explorer Delete Button by Tim Joiner
Is there no way at all to add a delete button to the toolbar in Windows Explorer? A registry hack, perhaps? This is a major oversight in my opinion.
December 28th 07 06:58 PM
by Chewie Go to last post
4 431
Search index problem by [email protected]
Dear Folks, I've got three Windows Vista Extended Home Edition issues--they appear to be related but may not be--that are baffling me. The first problem involves the Search Indexer, which has stopped working, and despite my best efforts, cannot be turned back on. The second problem is that I can't seem to complete a Restore session, yet I can create Restore points without any problem. I've tried...
December 28th 07 05:47 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 225
test by Net Doe
December 28th 07 04:05 PM
by rajinisback[_39_] Go to last post
1 278
System Restore Point very slow... by BobDeG
and cannot find any restore points. It took 5 hours last night before the protection dialog box indicated that there were no restore points. I receive the following error in the Applications log: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} . I have tried to use:
December 28th 07 02:00 PM
by BobDeG Go to last post
2 180
Disabling read-only attribute? by Zilla[_2_]
I unchecked Read-only radio button for folder, and allow for all sub- folders, and agree to all the admin checks, but when I go back to the folder, its still Read-only. What gives?
December 28th 07 04:04 AM
by brink[_2527_] Go to last post
4 221
Show folder sizes in My Computer by Peter_au
Is there a way of doing this in My Computer &/or Windows Explorer? Windows has always shown file sizes, but NOT FOLDER SIZES unles you right click for the pop out menu, then click Properties. This is too time consuming for me. All I want to do is find which folders are using up so much HDD space so I can then go in & delete the culprit files. If Windows won't allow this simple request, is...
December 28th 07 03:26 AM
by Peter_au Go to last post
7 189
Vista - Documents & Settings Folder by andrewnottmuk
I'm new to Vista and cannot locate the "documents and settings" folder with c:\ has it been replaced by something else -- Many Thanx
December 28th 07 01:33 AM
by William Peterson Go to last post

From The