Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Restoring backup from another computer by mtjester
I backed up my laptop (using Vista) but lost it. Now I have a new one. How can I restore those files to the new laptop? -- mtjester
January 17th 08 12:52 PM
by Chuck[_2_] Go to last post
1 176
Update: Deleting Vista by Richard H O'Keefe
I just called Acer. I purchased recovery disks for ny computer for $32.00. Installing xp was not a good idea. The 73 dollars I paid for xp was a waste. Vista recognizes my Atheros wireless as AR 5007eg. XP sees it as AR 5006X. And the driver does not work properly. XP also failed to recognize the agere soft modem. Thanks, Richard
January 17th 08 12:36 PM
by Chuck[_2_] Go to last post
1 158
Encrypted Files by Bob
I have encrypted a set of files on my secondary drive which when viewed in explorer, have green title text. The encryption certificate has a password, which I assigned at the time of creation. When I try and access the files, I am told I do not have permission to open the files. Can somebody please help me gain access to these files. I am the owner of these files also. Many thanks. Bob
January 17th 08 11:29 AM
by Bob Go to last post
0 198
How to set File Associations for Open and Edit by MikeM
How does one set the file type associations for the Open and Edit options in the menu that appears when I right click on a file? Vista seems to have hidden the FileTypes tab in the options dialog of WinExplorer. Mike
January 17th 08 10:24 AM
by SG[_3_] Go to last post
5 202
Modify Saved Search? by Julian[_2_]
I have a (mildy complicated) saved search that I would prefer not to recreate from scratch - is there any way to edit an existing saved search? TIA -- Julian I-Do-Stuff Some Vista stuff, but mostly just Stuff at http://berossus,blogspot.com
January 17th 08 10:13 AM
by Julian[_2_] Go to last post
0 165
DFS Replication by Bob
What is the purpose of DFS Replication? I use this on my Windows 2003 R2 server, but I don't see how this plays in Vista. KB930516 suggest that it can be used as follows: "Also, you can successfully use only the Windows Vista version of the DFS Replication service in peer-to-peer DFS Replication service groups". What does this mean?
January 17th 08 08:33 AM
by David Shen [MSFT] Go to last post
2 273
Missing Files in Vista by JM24
I know my way around computers pretty well. I have programmed in assembler, Fortran, later Cobol, and other languages. To this day, I still work in the technology industry. When it comes to computers, and technology in general, people seek me out for input and I generally always have the answer. I say this to make you aware that I am not a typical clueless home user poking away at the keyboard...
January 17th 08 02:55 AM
by Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Go to last post
5 193
Unable to delete corrupt file by David Thigpen
I am using 32 bit Vista Home Premium. I use a 3D Architectural design program called Revit and have had numerous files of downloaded components (used in the program such as doors, windows....) that create the program to "Not Respond". I am also unable to delete the files with explorer (states trying to calculate the time to delete and never ends). Revit files are the only file types that...
January 17th 08 02:31 AM
by Bob Go to last post
1 241
Properties are stoppping me from managing my music by clareo2
I have a directory full of music that I want to copy into my external hard drive to save up space on my laptop. When I try to (whether by trying to copy the whole directory or a single file) I get the message saying - "the folder (or file) has properties that cannot be copied to the new location." To fix this, I took one of the songs, and went into the "details" tab in the properties menu,...
January 16th 08 04:38 PM
by ClarkeyCat Go to last post
1 226
Hidden Files in EXPLORER only by Jamie[_5_]
Can someone explain why I can't see these files? See http://www.jamielawson.com/personal/VistaIssues/hidden_psc_files.jpg JPG for more information. If I can't attached I will have to post on my website and repost a link. running Vista Ultimate 64 If you feel this post would be better served elsewhere (security, network
January 16th 08 10:50 AM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post
7 277
Showing Hidden Files folder by folder by Bertrum
Is there any way that I can make hidden files visible in only in certain folders or on particular drives. I have some folders that contain software under development. In these it would be useful to be able to see hidden files, but I don't want all my other folders to show them. A per folder setting for this would be useful, or at least a quick shortcut to toggle the view.
January 16th 08 08:05 AM
by Bertrum Go to last post
4 177
Retrieving deleted files by M.A.X.
I just accidentaly deleted 29.1GB of music from my pc.. I am completely clueless as to how to retrieve these files, if that's even possible.. Please help me, I need these songs for work
January 16th 08 01:36 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 295
My Documents by Roger
How do you create a table of contents in a word document that reflects a my documents folder with all it's subordinate folders and files listed?
January 15th 08 11:50 PM
by John[_28_] Go to last post
7 244
Hard Disc Space - Compression by Rod Davies
Hi I have Vista Home Premium running on a PC with a 40GB C drive primary hard disc. My programs are on this C drive, all my docs etc are stored on either of separate D drive and H drives. My primary drive is running at about 30GB used/10GB free space. I continually clean out my C drive of temp files etc, clear my cache yadayada...but...typically how much space would I re-gain by using the
January 15th 08 11:22 PM
by EW[_2_] Go to last post
5 273
Old User Profile files by Nick1257[_2_]
I had a problem with a corrupted user file... I created a new profile and deleted the old one, but when vista told me the old profiles files would be copied to the desktop, it never happened. Now i cant access/delete the files stored under the old name, and am lost on how to get a hold of them. thank you for any help in advance. -- Nick1257
January 15th 08 08:45 PM
by Nick1257[_2_] Go to last post
0 209
Vista won't recognize my D: drive by Lockett
It used to be fine, but then I had to reboot every now and then to be able to use the drive. Now, it won't recognize it even after rebooting. There's no problem with the drive itself - when I insert a CD or DVD, I can hear the drive running - but Vista doesn't acknowledge its existance. When I open Computer, it only shows the C: drive. Does anyone know what do do about it? I have a 2007...
January 15th 08 02:11 PM
by Lockett Go to last post
0 189
Folder Not Visible in My Computer by webberej
I am new to Vista but not Computers. In C:\Program Files\Course Designer 3, I created a new sub-folder '2008'. In Windows Explorer, this folder is not visible. In Windows Mail, it is. In the actual Course Designer software, it is. Why can't I see it in Windows Explorer? Thanks.
January 15th 08 02:04 PM
by Lockett Go to last post
5 248
folding folders by default in explorer by Kuitenbijters
Hi all, problably an easy question for most of you, When I start the explorer from the startmenu (right mouse button explorer) the explorer opens and unfolds thereby several folders. The list seems to get longer every time. Folding the folders and reopening explorer does not help. I have to scroll up every time to get to the main folders of 'my computer'.
January 15th 08 01:44 PM
by Jamie[_2_] Go to last post
4 215
Search fails if Folder name has comma in it? by NickT
I had a problem today trying to do a search via file explorer against a folder that had a comma in name. I got message saying 'The specific path does not exist'. After rebuilding indexes, renaming and recreating named folder I determined that the only problem was that the folder name had commas in it. If I renamed and took commas away I ws able to search folder again. Is this a known problem...
January 15th 08 10:59 AM
by Ibe Go to last post
3 154
Files waiting to be burned to cd, seems complicated? by Amanda
Lately, when I have a file ready to be burned to a CD or DVD, a message pops up on my desktop saying so, and "click here to see the file." I've seen this in the past too, and when I'd click on it, it would show me the contents on the cd or dvd I have in the drive, and at the top of the window the file ready to be written would show. And I could select "burn" and it would burn to the disc,...
January 14th 08 04:21 PM
by Amanda Go to last post

From The