Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Zip File by Alan
How do I find the Zip Files? I stored a file and can not find the zip files. I have MS windows -- Alan
January 14th 08 02:47 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
2 243
moving folders between disks by lposeidon
Not sure if anone else noticed this problem, but in Vista when you move folders between disks, the source folders are not deleted (even though they are empty). You have go though and manually delete the empty source folders. Is there a fix for this yet?
January 14th 08 12:43 PM
by lposeidon Go to last post
0 233
Excel XLSX files fail to synchronize by Bob
Hi, My Documents folder is a redirected folder and therefore by default, it is always available offline. Why is it that if I edit my Excel file is in 2003 (xls) format, it almost always goes offline and needs to be synchronized manually? (Note that the file really isn't synchronizing as I do not see it change on the server until I do a manual sync).
January 14th 08 09:29 AM
by Morgan che Go to last post
4 347
Documents folder on Desktop by Mike
I boot up my laptop this morning only to find my Documents folder mysteriously sitting on my desktop. Not a shortcut to Documents - the actual folder. I try moving the contents out of the desktop Documents into the actual Documents folder, then attempt to delete the desktop version, only to find doing this is resulting in the deletion of the contents of the actual Documents folder as well....
January 14th 08 04:59 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
5 227
How to restore Recycle Bin Icon on desktop. by niceguy3806
I was attempting to empty my recycle bin and accidently deleted the icon from the desktop. How do I restore the recycle bin icon onto the desktop? Thanks for helping. -- niceguy3806
January 14th 08 04:56 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 225
Files - Heirarchy Views by GW
Is there a way in Vista to view the drill down of my file structure? I want to be able to highlight a file and drag it to a new folder. I used to be able to do this in XP.
January 14th 08 04:12 AM
by brink[_2780_] Go to last post
1 204
Moving drive from old PC to new PC by sweetsco
I recently moved a hard drive to a new computer and I can't gain read/write access to my old folders. My computer puked. I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard. So, I bought a new tower and moved the hard drive. Old system XP, new system Vista. I can see all the old files and have even transferred mail ID's to the vista system, but I can't take the "read only" attribute off any of the...
January 14th 08 02:03 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post
3 261
I can't see files in Explorer by Robert Y
When I download files using a third party downloader (Free Agent) or not, the files are downloaded to the directory that I specify but Windows Explorer (Vista Home Basic) can't see them. If I go to another program, say Windows Media Playeropen show all files; there it is. What is causing this and how do I correct it? Thanks, Robert
January 13th 08 09:30 PM
by Steven B Go to last post
5 242
How delete previous downloaded file names by max
One thing I notice when I download a file through pc to users\name\downloads, or use Getright and send download to a file called downloads, when I click on file name to call download I notice below it evey single file name I downloaded in the past, and a lot I have already uninstall off my pc. I tried to delete them but can't find a way to do so. Does someone know how to delete a file name that...
January 13th 08 08:11 PM
by max Go to last post
5 250
How to Bulk Unblock Files by Sue & Bill
I think since XP SP2 days, a new security attribute was added to files such that files that came in by IM, email, or across the network were separately identified and blocked from being executed. To unblock, one need to go the Properties of the file and then click the Unblock button. XP was rather lax in enforcing blocking. But Vista appears to block everything, including html files inside a...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 13th 08 06:28 PM
by Dave Go to last post
11 387
"Date Accessed" attribute not updating by bob w
For numerous file types (pictures, movies, music amoung others), Vista does not seem to update the "date accessed" file attribute after the file has been opened/viewed. Does anyone know why? Or alternatively, what needs to be done to get the file attribute to be updated?
January 13th 08 06:15 PM
by Dwarf Go to last post
1 248
unable to associate file type by phegger
I am unable to associate .tpo files w/the default program, Topo. I use the Set Association feature and when I get to Open With I navigate to the topo.exe file but it never shows up in the list of Other Programs. Why oh why?? Topo does show up in my list of installed programs BTW.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 13th 08 04:20 PM
by Bob Go to last post
14 341
I have 30GBs of files that are not showing up in any folder - HELP!!! by Nibiruian6[_2_]
I figured it out -- you have to shut off "System Restore" in System Protection and then the hidden backup files will be deleted - then you turn System Resore back on - but you have to do this every so often to remove all of the super hidden restore shadow files - thanks for nothing forum!!! -- Nibiruian6 Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
January 13th 08 01:41 PM
by BurrWalnut Go to last post
1 158
windows XP Solitare by spacecadet65
somehow or other my solitare game for windows has dissipeared. I've gone to control and tried to see if it was on the games to reload it on my windows but failed How can I get a copy of just the regular games that was on my windows xp?
January 13th 08 11:31 AM
by Amanda Go to last post
1 236
Index is running, but the only search results it returns are email by Dave Johnson[_2_]
I have a pristine Vista setup. Brand new Dell machine, came with Premium that I upgraded to Ultimate. I installed Office and other apps, and copied a hard drive's worth of files from an old computer to the new machine. All files are stored in usual locations in the user profile (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc). Currently, the index CPL reports that it has indexed 38,000 items. Problem: all...
January 13th 08 05:16 AM
by Dave Johnson[_2_] Go to last post
0 140
Deleting Vista by Richard H O'Keefe
I want to get rid of vista and install xp pro on my computer. I purchased a full install version of xp. Xp won't install over a newer version. I can't fdisk with vista. I can't figure out how to delete the primary partition and completely clean my hard drive. All advice will be appreciated. Thanks
January 12th 08 10:05 PM
by Richard H O'Keefe Go to last post
6 166
explorer - "computer" by AardvarksRUs
Couple questions about explorer.exe and what it shows as "Computer". Is there a way to configure "Windows Explorer", which I think is still invoked by "explorer.exe", to open by default in the quasi/pseudo-directory shown in explorer and on desktop as "computer", what previously I think had been shown as "My Computer"? How would I call this up from the command line, including as an/the...
January 12th 08 05:36 PM
by Bob Go to last post
3 154
Setting Up Mail Reader Test by CharlieRJ
This is test to see if I can send message and receive reply using posting alias.
January 12th 08 12:04 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 194
Can not read DVD/CD in Windows Explorer - OK in Command Window by Helge Arnljot
My CD/DVD s in the Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A refuses to refresh in Windows Explorer. Listing the drive in Command Window works perfect. If the CD/DVD is in the drive when booting it comes up in Windows Explorer as well. I have been searching the net for a fix, but so far .. no luck.. Can anyone give me a pointer to find a fix? OR as a temp fix - a way to force a refresh of the Windows Explorer...
January 12th 08 07:10 AM
by PCAssistNW Go to last post
1 225
Desktop location by nh
I have just noticed that my desktop location has changed from users\"user name"\Desktop to users\"user name"\Contacts\Desktop I cant seem to figure out why this has happened or how do I fix it .. any help would be nice..
January 12th 08 01:46 AM
by Bob Go to last post

From The