Threads in Forum : Networking with Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Vista Ultimate loses internet connection by Fred Marshall
Whenever Vista Ultimate sleeps it loses its internet connection. Static IP. Eventually it recovers but the wait is minutes long - or requires intervention by running repair. DNS isn't working XP machine on same network works fine. Vista U. machine works fine too - after it's "healed" Time after time ........
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 24th 09 12:45 PM
by mdshelley Go to last post
15 528
Wired / Wireless dosent work by Leeham38
Hey I yesterday installed Service pack 1 on my vista 32bit pc Since then, only my wireless / wired connection shows as "identifying" then after a while connects to my router, but as "local only" . all other PC's in the house (one using LAN , 2 on wireless) work perfectly fine. Prior to the installation of SP1 my Connection was perfectly fine. thanks in advance Edit: I removed norton, with no...
June 24th 09 02:41 AM
by Jack-MVP Go to last post
1 301
Shared Files on Vista/XP network by AndrewdeBath
Apologies if already discussed. Network fully operational - Public Folder on Vista can be shared on XP - no problem BUT when I attempt to share another folder on Vista it requests username. Options include username on Vista, Guest, Everyone or Add name. It appears that Vista cannot see usernames on XP. Do I have to add these usernames to the Vista computer? I think the 'everyone' option...
June 23rd 09 10:13 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
4 302
Printer sharing between xp sp2 and vista home prem. by John
My file sharing works fine. I have a desktop with xp home and a laptop with vista. My printer is a lexmark 1270 all in one. If I connect it to either computer it prints fine. When I connect it to my pc running xp and try to print to it from my pc running vista I receive an error that tells me that vista needs to install the driver. When I try to install the driver I get another error that...
June 23rd 09 08:45 PM
by Al and Darlene Go to last post
7 289
Windows Vista Network problem by Muhamed Ahmovic
After joining Vista to Win 2003 domain "network location awareness" service (and other services depending on it ) wont start, and i lost my network connectivity! Domain GPO is not blocking it/them.... Any ideas??? Thank you
June 23rd 09 04:21 PM
by Muhamed Ahmovic Go to last post
0 294
New computer with Vista trying to network with 5 other computers w by Walt
Hello: We just purchased a new computer with Vista on it. All 5 others contain Windows XP. I can see the other computers in my Network area, but they cannot see me. In addition, I am trying to share a QuickBooks file with one of those computers, so we can both work on the same file. I am not familiar with a procedure that could get me fully linked (networked) with them and enable me to...
June 23rd 09 03:19 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 295
Sharing printer on XP machine w/Vista machine by Hula Baloo
OK, I've got 3 PCs as follows: PC1 - Runs XP Media Edition with two printers attached & shared PC1 - Runs XP Home Edition - uses the printers on PC1 via sharing. PC3 - Runs Vista Business Edition. Shares files & folders just fine, but for the life of me I cannot get it to add either printer that's on PC1. I've spent hours pouring over hundreds (thousands?) of posts here. Initially I was...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 23rd 09 03:03 PM
by dick Go to last post
15 548
Wireless Connection just stopped working by Wineblood
Ok, my wireless connection isn't working. Yesterday my internet connection was working, but now it's not. I switched usb wireless yesterday, and it worked for the day until last night. Now I only get the connection to the router and it says "unidentified network". when I type ipconfig in the console it says my ip is 169.XXX.XXX.XXX when it's usually 192.168.1.XXX and my subnet mask is...
June 23rd 09 11:38 AM
by Wineblood Go to last post
0 301
accessing folder on server belonging to another domain by Charles MacLean[_2_]
I have a VISTA Ultimate machine that belongs to Domain X where I have my account. I want to access (read/write) files on Domain Controller Y. Both machines are on the same segment on our LAN. Both the DC X that I belong to and DC Y are Server 2003 R2 machines. I seem to able to read and write files after a fresh boot of my machine but then things seem to go sour after an hour or so. My...
June 23rd 09 01:23 AM
by Charles MacLean[_2_] Go to last post
2 257
Vista Client won't get IPv6 address via DHCP by dfosbenner [MCSE]
I have a virtual network with a W2K8 server and a Vista client, both on same subnet, can ping each other via IPv4. Both running SP2. The W2K8 server has a DHCP scope defined for IPv6 and should be handing out addresses. The Vista client is configured to obtain an IPv6 address automatically. I've also used the netsh command to make the following changes at the client: netsh int ipv6 set...
June 22nd 09 08:11 PM
by dfosbenner [MCSE] Go to last post
2 247
Unreliable Connection by Endulini
Hi All, My PC has difficulties consistently detecting my wireless network, sometimes it's there and then sometimes it just disappears for a few days. It's picking up all the surrounding networks ok so it doesn't seem to be an inherent hardware fault and equally it doesn't seem to be the router as my laptop gets the network ok (even when it's next to the PC, so it wouldn't seem to be...
June 22nd 09 04:43 AM
by Charlie Tame Go to last post
4 378
access denied when creating a local port by Joeg51
I have 2 vista PCs with printers attached to each. I can create a local port on PC 1 and connect to the printer on PC2. When I try to create a local port on PC 2 to access the printer on PC1, I get an "access is denied" error. PC 1 is a brand new HP with Vista Home premium , SP1 and all the critical updates. I unistalled the trial version of Norton Internet Security and ran the Norton...
June 22nd 09 01:53 AM
by Hokie74[_2_] Go to last post
3 312
Windows Vista Business: Internet Connection Promblems by bwe654
I recently upgraded my Operating System from the preloaded Vista to Vista Business. It did not give me the option to upgrade so I just reinstalled since it was a new computer anyway. Now I can not connect to the internet. I click "Diagnose Connection Problems" and then get a message that reads "This computer does not have a network adapter installed and configured" I went to the Computer...
June 21st 09 10:44 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
3 334
Cant connect to WLAN by maebee90
i connect my modem to my router and it says it has excellent signal but i some how cant get wireless internet...how do i fix it? I just moved in a condo and got my internet connected...but my router is the one i used at my old house...do i have to set it up or configure it again? help please -- maebee90
June 21st 09 09:53 AM
by nso5300 Go to last post
9 331
Connecting to shared hard drive with Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. by jokway
Hi there, I'm trying to connect to my shared hard drive, which is jacked into the USB port of my Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. From my Macbook, I can see and access the drive; however, I do not know how to locate and access the drive from Vista. Can someone guide me on how to connect to the drive? Thank you! --
June 21st 09 04:35 AM
by jennatx Go to last post
1 308
SECOND Acer 3680 that won't connect wirelessly. by Me
I am now on my second Acer 3680 Vista basic laptop. First one went back as it would not connect to the wireless router. I tried everything suggested by the newsgroups, with no success. System - Router - DI-514 D-link which is running wide open - no security at all. This system connects with 3 other laptops in the house including an Acer 5610 that is running Vista premium. It connected with...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 20th 09 08:01 AM
by Chado Go to last post
23 777
Mapped Drives - Group Policy Preferences by TVNathan
Hi everyone. So, here’s my issue. I’m using group policy preferences to map drives for my Windows XP and Vista clients. The Windows XP clients are fine, but I notice that from time to time when a standard or admin user logs on to a Vista clients, the mapped drives will not show up. When he logs off and back on again, they appear. I don’t believe this is the UAC issue that other people...
June 20th 09 06:54 AM
by TVNathan Go to last post
2 306
VPN from home router? by Victek
Are there routers that make it possible to connect from a remote location (e.g. open Wi-Fi somewhere) via VPN without my home PC being ON? TIA
June 19th 09 10:04 PM
by Victek Go to last post
9 363
Vista message 'access denied' when connecting to an XP printer by RonMMcCormick
Hi folks, I have a fun problem, and am about to yank out the rest of my hair, maybe someone here can help (prevent that)....please! Home network, using 1 XP desktop, 1 XP laptop, 1 Vista desktop. the XP desktop has 2 printers attached, the XP laptop can see and print to either printer, the Vista desktop can 'see' the printers from the 'network' icon, but not when trying to print to or to...
June 19th 09 04:07 AM
by elias Go to last post
8 358
Vista Home Premium not finding XBOX 360 Extender by raphnorac
First I had a linksys router and Media Center Extender worked grate, but the router broken, then I bought a Netgear wgr614 v.9. But since I started to used it. My Media Center does not recognize the xbox anymore. My xbox live works fine and I can see my xbox through the windos but I can't connect to Extender. what is the problem with my extender? Please someone help me, I already try everything...
June 19th 09 02:30 AM
by raphnorac Go to last post

From The