Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
What's changing the archive attributes? by Bill Bonnet
I am becoming frustrated. I have over 800 personal files on my PC, some of which are updated nearly every day, about 10 on average. Each day I run an Incremental Backup (Roxio's Backup MyPC). I now find that on some days most of the files on Drive 'C' have had the "File is ready for archiving" attribute set 'ON', the letter 'A' is displayed. This means that my incremental Backup covers over 800...
November 17th 08 09:40 AM
by Bill Bonnet Go to last post
6 129
Vista Bootloader shows only when VistaDVD is in by secretNwhisper
Ok so heres the funny deal: I had my Pc running on XP (I have 3 HDDs, and I have XP installed in 2 of them one is my Backup image *no dual XP booting here* ) and decided to install Vista, I have a ton of partitions, having main XP in my bigger HD, and installed Vista in another partition inside that same HDD. Turns out that when I installed Vista for dual booting and things happened like...
November 16th 08 09:41 PM
by barman58 Go to last post
4 138
Control Panel Crashes Windows Explorer by ferencze
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxleTkxMQ==?=;44863 Wrote: Yes, I did an upgrade and I have tried to reinstall, but the installation now crashes and I cannot do that. I am now getting a message that says that this is a known problem and will be fixed in the next release. "Frank Bergdoll" wrote: I am having the same error. I am going to try a new install
November 16th 08 08:03 PM
by ferencze Go to last post
0 107
Control Panel Crashes Windows Explorer by ferencze
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxleTkxMQ==?=;44863 Wrote: Yes, I did an upgrade and I have tried to reinstall, but the installation now crashes and I cannot do that. I am now getting a message that says that this is a known problem and will be fixed in the next release. "Frank Bergdoll" wrote: I am having the same error. I am going to try a new install
November 16th 08 08:00 PM
by ferencze Go to last post
0 125
Control Panel Crashes Windows Explorer by ferencze
Memory dump problems in WindowsXP or Vista. How to fix the Memory dump (Blue Screen) After opening the Control Panel ( Control Panel Access Crash problem ). You have to understand that most Memory dumps occur, when there is a driver that is not compatible with the Windows XP or Vista OS. So make sure your computers drivers, hardware and software are compatible with the OS you are trying either...
November 16th 08 07:56 PM
by ferencze Go to last post
0 104
OS is too fast. by alfonz1
Hello. This is not a joke:)In normal circumstances i would be happy,but in my case the whole os is insanelly speeded up.The minute in system clocks is like 4 seconds in normal time. The video and music playbacks are also speeded up,so video goes speeded like when the fastforwarding option were selected which surelly isnt. The text editor pointer is flashing maybe even 10 times faster...
November 16th 08 07:19 PM
by alfonz1 Go to last post
0 132
what should be active in "Windows Features" by passnthru2
i have Road Runner with a Net gear modem ANTEC 900 Case. ASUS Rampage Formula X48. Intel Xeon 3110 3MHz Core2 Duo. VISTA 64bit Home Premium. Silent Knight2 CPU cooler. 8GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1400. 2x Western Digital Caviar 500GB HD RAID1. VisionTec Radeon HD 3870 1 Gb.
November 16th 08 01:28 PM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
1 100
UAC Prompt Very slow to display by sf322
Hi, I have been having this problem for a number of weeks, and it started about the second day after installing Vista. My UAC prompt takes between 10 and 15 seconds to display. I have turned off the change to secure desktop, but it made no difference. I have also noticed (I do not know if this is connected) that when I want to preview an image it takes the same amount of time for the viewer to...
November 16th 08 10:31 AM
by sf322 Go to last post
3 117
unexplained loss of hard drive space on disk by alanjane
I'm running Windows Vista on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Without any additions of program material to the computer, it shows a steadily dropping amount of space on the disk that remains available. In a three week perod with doing nothing other than using the internet and reading e-mails, available space on the disk dropped by 5 GB. The disk has been cleaned, internet options deleted and the...
November 15th 08 04:40 PM
by rsb34 Go to last post
3 129
Windows Welcome Center by nishanth[_4_]
Whenever I boots the Computer, "Windows Welocme Center Stopped Working" error message appears!!! I have already tried disbaling the same from the Startup bu no vail. Any body know how to resolve this issue. ..................... Please reply soonnnn.......................
November 15th 08 06:52 AM
by nishanth[_4_] Go to last post
0 150
Slow Reads on HD in Vista by [email protected]
I haven't been able to find a post that describes my problem, and it's a strange one. I've got a problem with disk READS on one of my hard drives in Vista. It popped up seemingly out of nowhere. My system drive is on a separate hard drive and it seems unaffected. My D: drive (data drive) is where the problem lies. Folder-to-folder copies are taking about 4 minutes for a 700 MB file.
November 15th 08 03:10 AM
by Brink Go to last post
7 123
No Sound in Headphones by Mike Trzesniowski
Hi, Brand new to Vista - so far not so hot. At first I had no sound from rear jack - stereo configuation Uninstalled and reinstalled Realtek drivers (downloaded from Realtek) Now stereo out from rear jack works but no sound from headphones. Aaarrrggghhh - Bill Gates
November 15th 08 02:37 AM
by Big D[_3_] Go to last post
1 130
Code 800700CB by Yash
When I try to install the Windows updates, I get the error message "Code 800700CB" and am unable to install the updates. I am the administrator of the account. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a few months old DELL, with Vista Home Premium software, Intel Quad Q660, 2.4 GHZ, 3 GB Ram.
November 15th 08 01:53 AM
by Rick Rogers Go to last post
2 150
The backup did not complete successfully by Gill Julien[_2_]
Hi, when using the "System Tools" backup utility I received this message: "The backup did not complete successfully. An error occurred. The following information might help you resolved the error: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)" I've contacted Dell Support about this and all I was offered was to do a restore which I tried and got the very same error on all previous...
November 14th 08 09:52 PM
by Gill Julien[_2_] Go to last post
2 117
Screen Saver doesn't work... HELP by alf7199
My screen saver doesn't work, I didn't do anything to prompt it to not work, I do not use any mouse other than my touch pad. I use Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Laptop. I have tried to read other people's posts and either can't understand them or they don't apply to me. I can't even preview the screen savers. Please help. Thanks!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 14th 08 09:03 PM
by ivyanrose Go to last post
21 497
What on earth is a "crawl-type start page"?? by Bill Bonnet
It comes under Description of the scheduled tasks in Vista, what is it/they? Simple terms please -- Bill Bonnet
November 14th 08 06:36 PM
by Bill Bonnet Go to last post
2 134
Poor Performance With 4GB Memory by Akumajou
I recently added 2GB of memory to my P4P800 for a total of 4GB, and immediately began experiencing visible performance problems most noticeably in games. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that setting Maximum Memory in System Configuration (msconfig.exe) to 3300MB (I didn't test every 1MB below the limit, by the way), down from the limit of 3328 (using 1 or 2MB less than this still...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 14th 08 03:52 PM
by Victek Go to last post
18 197
Vista x64 RAM usage? by Anfy
Hi all, I am new to this forum, so bare with me if this has already been discussed... When I first start my computer (Vista Ultimate x64), on 4GB of RAM, the system uses about ~36%. This gradually increases to ~40% later on. The problem is, when I leave the computer on for extended periods of time (a few days), this "idle" RAM usage goes up dramatically, to 60+ and sometimes 70+ %, with VERY...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 14th 08 08:07 AM
by chongjee Go to last post
17 248
Sound Problems. by Concern1
I just recently upgraded my computer to an HP, model M8400f, running Windows Vista Home premium. Since I bought my computer I discovered a little annoying quirk: I often don't get sound when I connect my headphones to the jack on the front of the computer. This is not my 1st computer, and, of course, I made sure it was not on mute, I clicked on the icon for sound and toggle to its highest...
November 13th 08 11:36 PM
by weejokey Go to last post
5 121
Cannot open Theme Settings, Display Settings, Screen Saver Settings, etc by mitcho
Hi everyone. new to the forum. Trying to find a solution to my problem. I have vista ultimate on a DELL XPS laptop. I have 2 user accounts, both admin. The second account i setup today by default had the windows classic theme, so i clicked personalize the change it. but to my surprise, when i clicked on the "Theme" link in the personalize menu, nothing happened - no popup or error message,...
November 13th 08 06:21 PM
by Spike9458[_2_] Go to last post

From The