Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Control Panel Icon labels (text) missing by davidfi01
I am not sure why, but when I use Control Panel in Classic View with Medium Icons, the test labels for the icons uisually located underneath has dissappeared. What do I need to do to get the text associated with each icon to display again? The Icon name and category is viewable in all other views other than Mediaum, Large, and extra large icon view.
September 7th 09 03:23 PM
by lg123 Go to last post
2 166
backup and restore by Jerry[_2_]
I am using firefox and up until yesterday my backup and restore always worked perfectly. Now it refuses to backup and has erased all restore points, saying I have error 0x81000202, which means my volume shadow copy doesn't work. How can I fix this? Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks,
September 7th 09 11:37 AM
by Jerry[_2_] Go to last post
0 210
backup and restore by Jerry[_2_]
I am using firefox and up until yesterday my backup and restore always worked perfectly. Now it refuses to backup and has erased all restore points, saying I have error 0x81000202, which means my volume shadow copy doesn't work. How can I fix this? Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks,
September 7th 09 11:37 AM
by Jerry[_2_] Go to last post
0 126
Erunt Question by [email protected]
I am logged in as an administrator. However, if I try to run Erunt by left clicking the program, I get an error message. So, I right click and choose 'Run as an Administrator' and it works fine. Why should I have to do this?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 7th 09 02:53 AM
by Danno[_2_] Go to last post
13 432
Start up programs by GordonHS
In an effort to speed up my start up time I downloaded instructions from Microsoft's download site. One option used Windows Defender. I tried that. It changed nothing. I then tried an option using msconfig. I unchecked certain programs leaving my Anti Virus and Microsoft Operating programs. After a restart nothing had changed. The desktop still had the same icons. Maybe there is something I...
September 6th 09 11:37 PM
by GordonHS Go to last post
0 166
Vista Backup won't do what I want, uses too much space by rowan.bradley
When I used to run XP, I used Arctor to back up my important folders (My Documents, Pictures, Email etc.). It used to do this automatically every night, backing up incrementally onto an external hard disk. It did this for months or years without ever filling up my 160Gb backup disk. It must have been pretty intelligent about which files to save. When I moved to Vista, I thought I'd try the built...
September 6th 09 06:04 PM
by rowan.bradley Go to last post
0 166
Sfc scannow - cannot repair file by Carm
SFc scannow is reporting that the system cannot repair some corrupt files. From reading the CBS log I found this entry: CSI 0000001d Cannot verify component files for 3c52bd14fb076de75da14b4b67a96f83, Version = 6.0.6000.16720, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:b03f5f7f11d50a3a}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral,...
September 6th 09 04:38 AM
by NetLink_Blue Go to last post
3 211
CD Drive Disappeared!? by Oliver
Hi all, Im a newbie. Just purchased a brand new Toshiba Satellite L510, 1.8 Ghz Processor, 2 gb ram, Windows Vista home premium. The CD drive icon has dissapeared and does not show up in my computer, when I put a cd in I hear the cd spinning and laser head moving but nothing happens. device properties displays the following message. "Windows cannot start this hardware device because...
September 6th 09 02:41 AM
by Oliver Go to last post
0 172
hanging process by Bob L.
Everything has slowed down! Most noticeably if I launch qw.exe, close it, and then attempt to re-launch I cannot do it(error saying already running). Task manager shows the qw.exe process is still running and gobbling up memory! Killing process fixes it until the next time. Firefox has also been behaving similarly. Tried safe mode and same thing happens. QW is Deluxe 09 R6 and Vista is...
September 5th 09 12:25 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
2 201
RS Premium Account daily update by povpov
Here alots of RS accounts dialy update guys.. and much more Code: -------------------- www.yaseenwarez.com -------------------- --
September 5th 09 12:21 AM
by povpov Go to last post
0 171
Losing the sound icon in my system tray by [email protected]
Don't know why this happening. There must be a switch somewhere that tell the computer whether or no to show the sound icon - bit I can't find it.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 4th 09 07:38 PM
by PaulM[_5_] Go to last post
10 308
hanging process by Bob L.
Everything has slowed down! Most noticeably if I launch qw.exe, close it, and then attempt to re-launch I cannot do it(error saying already running). Task manager shows the qw.exe process is still running and gobbling up memory! Killing process fixes it until the next time. Firefox has also been behaving similarly. Tried safe mode and same thing happens. QW is Deluxe 09 R6 and Vista is...
September 4th 09 06:09 PM
by Bob L. Go to last post
0 150
tmp files in SysWOW64 by Starfury
I have 64bit Vista Premium and a rather big problem with it. In SysWOW64\config\systemprofile there's several HTTxxxx.tmp files, ranging from a few KB up to more than 2 GB, for a total of more than 15 GB. I deleted them a week weeks ago (they're .tmp files after all), but they've grown back, slowly consuming whatever space is left on C: Could this be connected to my winsxs folder which has...
September 4th 09 01:46 PM
by Starfury Go to last post
0 183
tmp files in SysWOW64 by Starfury
I have 64bit Vista Premium and a rather big problem with it. In SysWOW64\config\systemprofile there's several HTTxxxx.tmp files, ranging from a few KB up to more than 2 GB, for a total of more than 15 GB. I deleted them a week weeks ago (they're .tmp files after all), but they've grown back, slowly consuming whatever space is left on C: Could this be connected to my winsxs folder which has...
September 4th 09 01:46 PM
by Starfury Go to last post
0 156
Oh my God, please help. by DirtyDawg[_2_]
Is there any DARN way to fix these "Search" errors that are so prevalent in the 32b version of Vista Home Premium? I don't have this type of problem on the 64b Vista system, thank God. But is there anything I can do? The errors vary in the "View System Events" area. Sometimes they relate to speed at which the "Search" function loads up, sometimes I get an error like "The application...
September 4th 09 10:31 AM
by DirtyDawg[_2_] Go to last post
3 191
Problem with all windows/tabs closing. by calisteph
Hi. I have had this problem for a while now and am not sure how to fix it. I always browse the internet and when I close one window or tab, everything closes and internet restarts. I want to download itunes for vista but when i hit download, all windows close. Any one have any suggestions, please?!
September 4th 09 06:46 AM
by calisteph Go to last post
0 162
Vista Blue Screen after Microsoft auto updates 2Sept by webworks
I let Vista do two updates on my Tosh A300-1BZ Laptop - I think 1 was an IE8 compatibility update, the second a windows defender patch and the third (enabled in error) was a "windows live essentials" update which I cancelled half way through (by hitting Cancel and then Yes etc). The updater reported two updated done one cancelled and requested a reboot. After re-boot all I get after the...
September 3rd 09 11:39 PM
by SC Tom Go to last post
9 197
Recycling, Moving, Renaming issues, help? by Nick_172
Hi, I'm wondering if anybody here can help me possibly I'm not amazing with computers, and i'm having issues with deleting files to the recycle bin, moving files in general, and renaming files too It was all fine up until a few days ago, I got the Blue Screen a couple of times, and when I booted my laptop back up again, that's roughly when the trouble started, If I delete an item, sending it...
September 3rd 09 11:15 AM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 199
Vista laptop restarts on its own at ~3am by tincan
Hi, I'm new here. I came to this place trying to solve a different problem. That one got solved, so I figure I might as well ask this one! I got my Vista laptop last August (Acer aspire 4720ZG), and it got this weird problem since then. Whenever the laptop feels the need to update (there is a icon telling you that there is a pending update in the start menu, right?), and I don't do so by 3am...
September 3rd 09 05:47 AM
by tincan Go to last post
2 202
Bluescreen Help!! by Mosquito Jon
Hi My Vista machine is suffering from repeated bluescreen crashes, caused by a variety programs, but the usual running program is ntoskrnl.exe, although I think it 's another driver which I haven't been able to identify causing the problem. I've checked memory in memtest86 and all is ok. The PC can go a couple of months without crashing and then I can get several crashes in a day. Any help...
September 3rd 09 04:46 AM
by R. C. White Go to last post

From The